Old 03-03-2021, 04:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There is no need to catch the original starter with you forehead.
Use a threaded rod with a washer and nut in the inner bolt hold and lower the starter and let it hang on it during removal of cables.

The correct factory high torque starter and a slightly shortened solenoid return spring (std on RA and SD starters) and a heatshield will do the job as intended.

http://gtoaa.org/
Old 03-03-2021, 12:11 PM

70 Judge, 455 +.30, bit of a cam
IMI mini all the way, battery in trunk, solenoid in trunk, 2.0 gauge cable from trunk to starter (only hot during cranking), heat shield and starter bolt grounded to frame for added insurance. The most aggravating thing is a beautiful muscle car that won't crank when hot.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:28 PM

I have a stroked 400 (462), alum. heads, MSD fuel injection, headers, and this has been my biggest problem. On my second MSD starter, heat soak is the issue, I have clocked the starter as far away from the headers as possible, and wrapped the starter, still got a problem. Will try the RobbMc starter, at least I can clock the solenoid to the bottom, further away from the headers.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim@me View Post
I have a stroked 400 (462), alum. heads, MSD fuel injection, headers, and this has been my biggest problem. On my second MSD starter, heat soak is the issue, I have clocked the starter as far away from the headers as possible, and wrapped the starter, still got a problem. Will try the RobbMc starter, at least I can clock the solenoid to the bottom, further away from the headers.
with a heat wrap & clocked away from the headers you should not be having a hot start problem with a mini starter, or at least if its working right with good wires & grounds. i use a cheap priced summit mini starter which is made by powermaster & it turns over a 12.7:1 alum head stroker 467 with ease in all conditions. it has a heat wrap but wunning big 2" hooker super comp headers it really cant be clocked away from the nearest tubes.

could be other issues causing the problem like too much advance, poor condition or too small cables, bad ground etc. but if youre on #2 msd starter, time to look for another brand.

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The physical size of the mini starters are an advantage in itself not to mention the clocking. The factory starter is so close to my headers it didn't matter what the local starter shop could do for my situation it would hot-start. The mini starter has quite a bit of breathing room so I do not think we can blanket statement there is no need for the better starter technology.

Wiring system checked out and confirmed with a remote starter switch and back and forth with new cables battery ect.

Never heard of a powermaster starter needing pinion support either and will go the same route again next time I buy.

Old 03-03-2021, 02:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim@me View Post
Long time listener, first time caller. Since 2012 and only 1 post! Welcome!

Who needs nice and pretty, when you can have mean and nasty?
KRE Aluminum headed 463CID 73 LeMans. Used to run 10.6x @ 124.55. 3700lbs
So much for 2020...shootin for 9s in 2021...and in 2022 apparently.....looks like 2023 as well.
>>My 73 Build thread
Old 03-03-2021, 02:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenth View Post
The correct factory high torque starter and a slightly shortened solenoid return spring (std on RA and SD starters) and a heatshield will do the job as intended.
Which heat shield are people using for RARE manifolds? I see thermal wraps and two different shields...

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 03-03-2021, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My cast iron RA manifolds have been up on the shelf for years but my recollection is that Pontiac supplied the shield that looked very close to your bottom choice.

Quote:
There is no need to catch the original starter with you forehead.
I always thought it was a right of passage. One of those learning experiences we need to get out of the way so we can progress up to a higher level of awareness.

Old 03-03-2021, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can I just skip the right of passage? I mean, I know I have a hard head but...

Old 03-03-2021, 04:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post
My cast iron RA manifolds have been up on the shelf for years but my recollection is that Pontiac supplied the shield that looked very close to your bottom choice.
Per Inline Tube, the 67-69 ram air starter solenoid heat shield looks to only differ by eyelet style flange, rather than slip on for non-ram air...so maybe it doesn't matter (except $$ - $12 vs. $16 or $39)?

Forgot to mention that my RARE manifolds have the ceramic coating, which supposedly reduces heat 40%. So...perhaps it's a moot point worrying about a heat shield.

Last edited by vertigto; 03-03-2021 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Inlinetubes heat shields;

https://www.inlinetube.com/pages/pro...enoid%20shield

http://gtoaa.org/
Old 03-03-2021, 05:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenth View Post
Yep...best prices by far and both ram air versions for different years.