Old 03-01-2021, 06:22 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
they sell breathers that have the connection to the air filter, I think they are called "mopar style" breathers by some folks:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-9242
The nice thing about the MOPAR style breathers is the design keeps a LOT of oil vapor from contaminating
the air filter when the engine PCV system is in the "Push Mode". "Pull Mode" is w2hen the engine vacuum
is high and the crankcase gases are drawn into the intake planes. "Push mode" is when the vacuum in the
engine intake is low and the pressure in the crankcase is higher therefore the oil mist is forced out of the
engine either to the engine compartment or to the air filter.

With the proper screening in the MOPAR breather the oil never makes it to the atmosphere or air filter.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
they came up with a "Road Draft Tube system to remove the corrosive gases in the oil pan and valve cover(s) as the engine was going down the road.

The systems worked well except they put these corrosive gases into the earth's atmosphere.
True, but not the worst of the problem.

The draft-tube put oil mist in the center of the traffic lanes--dangerous as hell to motorcycles and narrow-track cars; dangerous to everyone for the first few minutes of a rain shower, when the oil would float on top of the rainwater, but before the loose oil floated into the sewer system and then into rivers and lakes.

This was all easy enough to see on concrete (white-ish) pavement. It was tougher to see on blacktop roads (depending on the condition of the roadway.)

People died due to draft-tube oil on the roads.

Old 03-01-2021, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thing is, even with road draft tubes rarely seen anymore, you still have oily center lanes from cars leaking. Guess where they leak.....in the center of the lane.

Pretty much any highly traveled road you can see the dark centers even today, and motorcycles still straddle the center because of it.

I don't see road draft tubes as the main cause here.

People dying from draft tubes...........lol that's a stretch.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 03-02-2021, 04:03 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Thing is, even with road draft tubes rarely seen anymore, you still have oily center lanes from cars leaking. Guess where they leak.....in the center of the lane.

Pretty much any highly traveled road you can see the dark centers even today, and motorcycles still straddle the center because of it.

I don't see road draft tubes as the main cause here.

People dying from draft tubes...........lol that's a stretch.
People die from many things on the freeways and secondary roads, and streets today.
People Drunk, people on drugs, people falling asleep and running over people stopped at intersections, people plowing into people on a congested street.

Plus in the road draft days there were many millions less cars and trucks on the roadways. Pontiacs on the road with open breathers and other oil leaks
put down oil on the center of the lanes too. So you are both right.

I was referring only to the durability of the engine in miles being increased greatly.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

im late to seeing this thread & it looks like you got the PCV thing figured out... but i wanted to point out that your air cleaner pictured above does not look like a 79 403 olds air cleaner, it has very different markings & features compared to other 79 403 t/a air cleaners ive had or seen, even the link you posted to "chicago musclecar parts" shows a different air cleaner base. unless they made 2 different versions, yours is close but there are numerous differences to a 79 403 base. heres a link to another one that has very good pics, some at the same angles as yours & you can see they are not the same.

just wanted to point that out before you try & sell it as a 79 403 t/a air cleaner.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-1979-T...4AAOSwahhee~sE

Old 03-03-2021, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, agreed. I don’t know what vehicle it came from. I thought it was a Trans-Am but in looking closer it’s just a regular air cleaner. Still from an Olds maybe. I’ll probably end up keeping it, because it’s not worth listing it on eBay to get a lousy 50 bucks or whatever.
But if anyone has any idea what car it came off of, then please let me know.

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to 66sprint6 For This Useful Post: