Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-11-2006, 03:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Need Rear End Info

I've been trying to piece together all the parts for the current build up on my 66 Catalina. For everyone's information I'm dropping in a 474 and a TKO500. I cannot figure out what to do with the rear end however. I've found out that the 65+ big cars have a 'unique' rear end and that there are no aftermarket gears and carriers available. I've basically got two options either locate a posi with the gears I want which very few exist or find a more common or updated rear end to go into the car. Does anyone know if there are any other complete housings out there from another car that'll fit under my car?

Old 05-11-2006, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I tink 65-70 big-car rears are the same family. The occasional Chevy Kingswood estate Wagon or similar Impala will have the enlarged 12-bolt.

In all cases you are interested in the POSI diff, and well the series (geareset that is with it, or the whole darn rea assy). In all cases I think you pay the same price. If ya want the posi, it might come wrapped in a housing with axles...that you may or may not need.

Old 05-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fat Cat,
if you want your original forum name back, get ahold of a moderator and he can help you.

david