THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-06-2023, 09:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Hydroboost and belts questions

Long story short, installed a hydroboost from CPP to replace a booster/MC from a Right Stuff 4 disc conversion kit that couldn't adequately stop/lock up the brakes. Definitely locks them up now and reduced the 50 - 0 stopping distance by @ 58'.

Have had a slight belt squealing issue (before and after hydroboost) that has got me thinking about the system in general. Forgive my ignorance, but I have a few questions about hydroboosts.

If it throws/breaks a belt, will it react like a conventional system when the engine stalls and still have unassisted braking (e.g., hard pedal)? I've read that hydroboost systems include a high-pressure accumulator that has enough capacity to provide several power-assisted stops in the event that the power steering pump belt breaks or a hose ruptures. Is that true? Is it unassisted after that, meaning you could limp back home? Obviously this would also affect steering similarly (no assist). Does anyone carry a spare belt, just in case?

Hate to bring this topic up again, but any recommendations on the best belts to prevent squealing/breaking (Dayco Gold, Gates XL, Goodyear/Continental)? I've read about using 15 series for PS and 17 series for AC and someone solving a squealing issue with Gates 9530 for PS, 9590 for AC and 7495 for ALT. Can anyone confirm and/or recommend?? Obviously with a hydroboost system, the PS belt quality/durability/fitment become a little more important.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 04-06-2023, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes you will have some assist after belt failure, maybe 2 stops or pedal applications and then it will go hard like vacuum booster that engine stalled.
So you could limp home but with limited braking power. Try and use a belt that does not have sectioned type inner part to belt, they stretch too much.
like this https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&url=h...AAAAAdAAAAABAR

bad for stretching.

Old 04-06-2023, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I installed a hydroboost system on my car about 10 years ago. I also did a rear disc conversion of the 8.5" Buick rear and between the 2, the GTO has very modern feeling brakes. My power steering pump and box had been rebuilt by Power Steering Services (defunct now?) a few years before. I ran a set of Goodyear "mileage maker" belts at that time and had no issues. A couple of years ago I went back for new belts and found that the same belt is now labeled with the Continental logo. They seem to be a quality product also. I've never had a situation where the car quit or had a belt issue while in motion, but I have had the engine quit a few times as I back out of the basement (a slight incline once out) and in that situation there was no issue with the brakes.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
The Following User Says Thank You to David Jones For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2023, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

David, it's good to see you posting. Was thinking about you with the recent bad weather events.

The Following User Says Thank You to 400 4spd. For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2023, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Make sure your belt is the correct width. I had a squeal issue with my PS belt because it was not wide enough and was running to low in the pulley. Went with a Dayco belt that is .530 in width which is perfect. Belt now rides even with the top of the pulley like it's supposed to

66 GTO, 495, M22, Strange S-60 w/4.10
Sold new at Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHC-Z8xhtg
Old 04-06-2023, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My old BMW has a factory hydro boost braking system. There's a little gas charged accumulator reservoir on it that will allow six or eight normal braking conditions before the pedal gets hard. I can still brake after that but it takes a lot more muscle.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2023, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My trucks have all had it and I get just 1 good stop if engine stalls ( dirty throttle body)
Stopping a 3 ton truck with no help is NOT fun, it worse than manual discs on a firebird IMHO.