Old 01-21-2018, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Leaking oil filter

An internet friend in France is having a problem with his '56 317. Seems to have an oil leak around the bolt that is used to tighten the filter. There is a copper gasket that has failed. Problems include finding a replacement part and taking apart the filter assembly to replace the gasket. How does one remove the split ring shown in this http://www.pontiacsafari.com/MPC/Pages/page_0095.jpg
picture (1.837 ring) in order to disassemble the assembly.

Anyone have any ideas on where to find a copper gasket? Would a plastic oil pan plug do the job?

Old 01-21-2018, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What about a copper washer for a brake hose? I dont recall the bolt size to hold filter on. But should be able to find something close.

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 01-21-2018, 11:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A brake washer would do the trick if it were large enough. I'd guess the diameter of the bolt is at least a half inch.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:31 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Wow- that challenges my memory Bill! However, chances are good that I never disassembled one of them- just cleaned 'em as good as I could and put 'em back on probably. Next time I'm in the barn I'll see if maybe I kept one.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fastenal sells copper washers that are typically used for banjo bolts and 1/2" is a size they carry (and larger).

Old 01-23-2018, 03:52 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

I did find one in the barn, and bolt is still assembled with it. If i ever did take one apart, I don't remember how I got that ring off. Looks like maybe a person could wedge the ends of the ring apart (with a screwdriver?) to release it from its groove? The gasket under the bolt head is indeed a copper washer- looks to be about .040" thick.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You can replace that whole messy can type filter assembly with the later spin on filter assembly. Just use a vertical mount housing from a later full sized Pontiac. You can then use a more common spin on filter. Did this on my 1955 Chieftain and have had no problems in over 20 years.