Old 09-05-2018, 10:35 AM

Default School me on the 72 Formula kickdown switch.

Guys, my 72 Formy kick down function is inop. I have no manual to tell me how it works and the location of the controlling components. Can one of you Geniuses on PY give me a lesson on how this system works and the location of the related components? The car is stock, as far as I know. It did go through a restoration so I suspect it was not properly installed. Car is a 400 w/TH400. Sure would appreciate the help.

John

Old 09-05-2018, 01:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does it have the kick down slider switch mounted just above/behind the accelerator pedal with the wire connector plugged in? The wires run to the kick down solenoid in the driver's side of the transmission, plugs in just in front of the speedo cable/gear housing. If that is all plugged in, the first thing I would try is to adjust the kick down switch at the pedal. The switch at the pedal has a tang on it that you can depress to allow the slider to go all the way forward. Then pull the slider back just enough for the tang to pop up and engage. The next time you floor it, it should adjust itself to the correct position. Let us know what you have in place on your car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	400Switch.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	492243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Turbo400 KickDown Solenoid.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	492244  

Old 09-05-2018, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here it is in its place. (The orange and pink, two-wire connector hanging next to the steering column should be connected to it - this was the original photo of my 19,000 mile car when I was doing the heater core - I found that the two-wire harness had never been connected to the switch! I hooked it up and the transmission worked a little better)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010692.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	492245  

Old 09-06-2018, 11:50 AM

Thanks guys! I'll check it out this week end and get back to you.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:10 AM
Senior Chief

If you find the wiring and switch are good the problem is likely the solenoid within the transmission. Not hard to replace but messy.

1971 Trans Am, White/Blue
455 YC Block with Edelbrock Performer RPM Aluminum Heads, 10-10.5 estimated CR, E-Performer Plus cam (soon to be 041 + Rhoads), Comp Cams 1.65:1 roller tip rockers, E-Performer Aluminum Intake (soon to be topped by a FiTech EFI), TRW forged pistons, Hedman Husler Headers, 3" dual exhaust with Flow Master mufflers.