Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-29-2020, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73 TRANSAM View Post
I put a Denso 320 amp on mine. It puts out a lot of amp and does it at low rpm too. The Denso supposed to be a more reliable alternator from what I read when I was looking for a higher output alternator. I do have to mess with the spacing as I made mine to fit. I do have an under drive pulley to boot.

What size cable did you use to accommodate 320 amps?

Old 11-29-2020, 01:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have the battery in the rear. I have a 00 gauge to the ford solenoid and 00 gauge going to the rear battery. I have the cut off switch for the race track. I didn't want any issue with burning the charging wire. Its also a one wire converted alternator. No complaints on this setup.

Old 11-29-2020, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

320 amps for 10 feet at 194 degrees F max air temp (depending on insulation type on the wire) would require 3/0 (000) wire all the way from the alternator to the battery. Same for ground. That said, how much current are you actually using?

Old 11-29-2020, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
Related question, does the cs130 add or reduce strain on the belt? (More or less likely to screech).
It's different. Per the original Delco factory service literature, the CS130 is more susceptible to over-tightening, leading to damage of the bearings. It is why for the v-belt applications (like you find on Olds blocks that used it) they had a tensioner rod that you adjusted to tension the belt properly with a gauge. On the 10\12si era v-belt alternators, people tend to just tighten the snot out of the belt and it was fine for the most part. If you do this on a CS alternator it's going to be damaged over time. That said, a properly aligned and tensioned v-belt configuration CS alternator with the right support brackets does not squeal under heavy load. If the factory can make it live in a Cadillac with all of its heavy electronics at idle with the AC on in gear, it should be fine in our Pontiac applications.

Old 11-29-2020, 02:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm not sure I need 320 amps but I would like to know that I have one that can put out over 200 amps as I'm planning to put some sound system in my car.

Old 11-30-2020, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
It isn't, it's a CS130. Good recommendation though, it's a decent alternator.
Ehh, I can never keep those straight...

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 11-30-2020, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember the alternator shop mentioning that the original CS130's had too small of bearing at the rear of the case and insufficient cooling. Supposedly the CS130D took car of those problems with a larger bearing and a fan inside the front and another inside the rear. Here is a write up from a seller:

1994-2000 Delco-Remy Type CS-130D Series Internal Regulator Alternator
The CS-130D alternator was introduced as the standard application for most GM vehicles. It came standard as 100 & 105 amp models. Although it only adds a "D" to the CS-130 designation, the CS-130D alternator is completely different from the earlier CS-130 series. None of the parts are interchangeable. 1994 to 1996 GM used both the CS-130 and CS-130 D. You must visually check to see which unit you have if your vehicle is within the transition years.

Improvements over the CS-130 Alternator include:
More open design for better air flow
Larger bearings
Dual Internal Fans to increase air volume
Regulator and Rectifier located on the outside, away from stator and rotor heat.

Here's a pretty good size comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	130 vs 140.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	555105  

Old 11-30-2020, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mick do you know of a make/model of the improved C130D that would drop into the place of an SI alternator? We were given a few examples earlier to Rock Auto, but those were all pre 94 I think.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 11-30-2020, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We have an alternator shop in my town that makes and rebuild alternators and ships all over the country. Family business and I've used them for alternators, starters, batteries, and all the associated parts. Don't know if they do anything special for the mounting brackets or if that alternator is available everywhere, but here's the page from their website with a CS130D that is set up for our cars: https://www.qualitypowerauto.com/ite...Alternator.htm. Several pulley choices also.

They repair everything there, and it's really handy for our local car club because we can just pop in with a problem piece and they go through and fix it on the spot.

Old 11-30-2020, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulas View Post
Does the CS130 require plug adaption or is it the same as a 10SI / 12SI there ?
Here is a link to the pigtail I ended up using. https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-PT214...6-05ac39e80cc0

So the short answer is yes, maybe........

The long answer is while the end of this pigtail is the same as the SI and will plug into your wiring harness, there is no way I am subjecting my electrical system to twice the amps without making some changes. Here is a video to what is involved:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4AV971yRvc&t=12s

Relative to the CS130 reliability, GM put a 36,000 mile warranty on the cars using a CS130 back in the day. I have replaced 2 entire Pontiac motors in the less than 3,600 miles I have put on my car in the last decade. So for me, the last of my worries is the alternator.

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was more in question of flat connector voltage sence and field coil excitation not the charge wire.

My charge and supply copper paths are all oversized

Thanks

Old 11-30-2020, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Alternator efficiency: Back when I was in the biz, alternators were slightly less than 50%. A 62A would require on the order of 2.5 HP to drive @ a shaft speed of 5000. Electrical output is slightly over 1 HP. Scale that up to an output of 100A or so.......

That's say, about 5 HP on a single V belt...

George