Old 07-06-2021, 10:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Original Air A/C kit

Has anyone installed an Original Air (formerly known as and now a division of Classic Auto Air) kit on their 2nd gen Firebird or any other car for that matter. Any opinions, tips, pros and/or cons?

I’m real close to ordering but I thought I’d ask for opinions first. My 77 T/A is a factory A/C car with everything forward of the evaporator core missing. I do still have the wiring (except for the compressor plug and idle solenoid plug) and it all works so I’m interested in the Stage 2 kit which excludes the evaporator (and maybe a couple small things too)

Thanks!

Old 07-06-2021, 11:00 PM
Senior Chief

I'd ask for a copy of the instruction manual. One I had for my Sunbird said to drill two holes for the refrigerant lines. Only problem was the one two inches behind the passenger side head.

Old 07-06-2021, 11:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Was that an Original Air brand kit? We’re you retrofitting AC into a car that was originally without? I’m not aware of any need to drill any holes for the refrigerant lines

Old 07-07-2021, 12:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would use the original A/C with an R4 compressor. There's something about those Japanese Sanden compressors that turns me off.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 07-07-2021, 06:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieT/A View Post
I would use the original A/C with an R4 compressor. There's something about those Japanese Sanden compressors that turns me off.
As far as I can tell they are Sanden brand compressors which I believe are made in the US. Unless I’m wrong at which point I’m all ears lol

Old 07-07-2021, 09:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieT/A View Post
Two things about what you said here.
First is that Sanden is not a Japanese company. It's an American company. It started with their first factory in Texas. It's since grown international with factories also in other countries. But still has has a Texas factory and headquartered here. They make a high quality and highly efficient compressor.

Second is that the GM R4 really isn't that good of compressor in both life and efficiency. If they need to be replaced, it's much better to buy a new one as remanufactured as they typically don't last long at all.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
Old 07-07-2021, 11:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The entire appearance of the compressor, brackets & the shape of the lines going into the rear of the compressor make the Sandeens a NO GO in any of my factory AC equipped Pontiacs. Still have an XJ Cherokee, it has a Sandeen compressor, just like my first XJ. Know them well.

FWIW, 41 years later, I still have my first & only purchased new Pontiac. Even with Fisher t-tops & black exterior, it's original R4 compressor cooled the interior just fine in the early 80's, before I removed the A/C system in a weight reduction move during the years of continual performance mods.

Old 07-08-2021, 07:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just searched and see that the '77 Trans Am came with an A6 and not an R4.
I opted for the direct A6 replacement called a Pro6TEN on my '69 GTO. It bolts to the stock brackets which if you don't have should be easy to find. Unlike the A6, it's an efficient and quiet compressor. And it's about 1/2 the weight of an A6.
Coldhose.com can make up the hoses and fittings for you. And Vintage air can sell you a condenser kit.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
Old 07-08-2021, 07:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1 View Post
I opted for the direct A6 replacement called a Pro6TEN on my '69 GTO. It bolts to the stock brackets which if you don't have should be easy to find. Unlike the A6, it's an efficient and quiet compressor. And it's about 1/2 the weight of an A6.
Coldhose.com can make up the hoses and fittings for you. And Vintage air can sell you a condenser kit.

I definitely don’t dislike the look of that compressor but I don’t really mind the sanden one either. Maybe I should’ve mentioned that my car isn’t a restoration so to speak and I’m not aiming for being or appearing 100% original. The deviations I have made from original though are fairly subtle. Either way, the sanden compressor doesn’t bother me and affords me a bit more space under the hood as well.

Old 07-09-2021, 09:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1 View Post

I’m not sure why but I posted a reply and it never showed up. I do like the way that compressor looks but I also don’t mind the look of the sanden. I guess I should’ve mentioned I’m not concerned about originality in this case. I do try to keep my deviations from originality subtle but in this case I think I’d prefer the smaller compressor to free up some engine bay space.

Old 07-09-2021, 06:50 PM

I put a Classic Auto Air system on my 79 TA 403 about 4 years ago and works good, I wont say great because the ducting in TA and stock blower motor are the real problems in older cars in my opinion. I originally tried to use a rebuilt A6 and front seals blew on both within a couple months of each other. Anyway I got the compressor, bracket and rubber lines and was an easy install. I used the original 79 condenser and evaporator as well just flushed both. If I had to do over again I would have used a newer cross flow condenser for a little more added cooling but original still works good. I did not hook up AC fast idle solenoid because when sanden compressor is engaged it does not really seem to have to much drag on engine. The install was super easy and would recommend it.

Old 07-09-2021, 07:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta6point6 View Post
I put a Classic Auto Air system on my 79 TA 403 about 4 years ago and works good, I wont say great because the ducting in TA and stock blower motor are the real problems in older cars in my opinion. I originally tried to use a rebuilt A6 and front seals blew on both within a couple months of each other. Anyway I got the compressor, bracket and rubber lines and was an easy install. I used the original 79 condenser and evaporator as well just flushed both. If I had to do over again I would have used a newer cross flow condenser for a little more added cooling but original still works good. I did not hook up AC fast idle solenoid because when sanden compressor is engaged it does not really seem to have to much drag on engine. The install was super easy and would recommend it.
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. I actually made what improvements I could with the factory ducting and it seems to have decent airflow. I did order the kit the other day. The stage two I ordered includes the parallel condenser so that’s good I guess. I’m reusing my evaporator core which I also flushed out so fingers crossed I guess.

Old 07-09-2021, 09:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhill86 View Post
I’m not sure why but I posted a reply and it never showed up. I do like the way that compressor looks but I also don’t mind the look of the sanden. I guess I should’ve mentioned I’m not concerned about originality in this case. I do try to keep my deviations from originality subtle but in this case I think I’d prefer the smaller compressor to free up some engine bay space.
Yeah, it's a bit longer than a Sanden but it has a higher cubic inch displacement.
That should help with low rpm performance.
I also like a couple of asethetic features it has over the Sanden. First is that it has hose connections on the back that uses the old GM style manifold. Just looks better. Also when using a V belt accessory drive, the Sanden only comes with a double pulley and to me makes it look like you are missing a fan belt.
The Sanded is a fine compressor though. The biggest thing to me was being able to use stock brackets.

Old 07-09-2021, 10:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I could see that. I probably would’ve too if I had any brackets. I guess we shall see how well it works.