Old 09-25-2021, 08:51 AM

Default 70-72 what did the “ lemans sport” package consist of?

For a 70-72 lemans sport, what options did that consist of?
I always thought that meant you got buckets and a console, but I’ve been seeing several with out that.
What did it get you, over a regular lemans?

Old 09-25-2021, 11:09 AM

GTO style door panels

1972+ Lucerne Blue 4-door hardtop "what if" T-41 Le Mans Sport GT/Grand Am concepts. Equipped with future 3" journal "455 HO"/"what if" prototype "SD 455".
What if GM had continued production of the 1970-72 GM A body somewhere in the southern hemisphere?
Old 09-25-2021, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Gills on Fenders, "Sport" emblems

As Doug mentions, the interior is effectively GTO... even the vinyl colors are different between 70 GTO and Lemans.

Old 09-25-2021, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a link to an online copy of the 1970 full-line brochure:

https://www.auto-brochures.com/makes...0Line_1970.pdf

Reading this, it suggests the Sport model allowed options that weren't available on a LeMans... like a 4-spd.

Old 09-25-2021, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The main difference for all 3 model years is the LeMans Sport gained same interior as the GTO; comfort weave insert seats in '71 & 72 as well as the same door panels & rear side panels as a GTO. There was also the external Sport identification. Will ck my dealer album but i believe wheel opening moldings became std with the LeMans Sport, will ck. Whether the 2 door LeMans Sport had strato bucket seats or a strato bench, depends on how the dealer clicked off the original order.

For 1972 the LeMans Sport was no longer their own 237 series model, it became more of an interior option. 1972 model LeMans 2 door hardtops could be ordered alone, with the GTO option, with the WU2 LeMans GT option & with the standard interior or with the additional cost Sport interior. The Sport option for '72 brought the more upscale door panels with the pull straps along with matching rear side panels. Again whether buckets or strato bench depends on how dealer ordered the '72. On '72 LeMans convertibles, they required the "Sport interior", the '72 LeMans converts were not avail with the standard '72 LeMans door panels & lighter weight base bench seat. On a similar vein, '72 LeMans Coupes (2 door Posts) were only available with the base bench seat interior, when you see a '72 LeMans Coupe on eBay being offered with buckets & door strap type door panels, it's not original. Similar deal when one sees a '72 GTO hardtop with pull strap style door panels with GTO door panel emblems, an owner has installed those GTO emblems. The GTO emblems were only avail on the base LeMans door panels when the '72 2 door hardtop or Coupe was ordered with the GTO option.

Old 09-25-2021, 12:00 PM

Default Lemans Sport 4 door hardtopsThe Lemans Sport was available also as a 4 door hardtop

The 1970-71 Lemans Sport was also available as a 4 door hardtop (no upper b pillar). When has been the last time anyone has seen one? And how many with a 400 or better engine?

Strangely the Lemans and Lemans Sport 4 door hardtops were not offered for 1972, with that body style only offered as the "Luxury" Lemans with the added chrome trim that obscures the lower coke bottle line.

1972+ Lucerne Blue 4-door hardtop "what if" T-41 Le Mans Sport GT/Grand Am concepts. Equipped with future 3" journal "455 HO"/"what if" prototype "SD 455".
What if GM had continued production of the 1970-72 GM A body somewhere in the southern hemisphere?
Old 09-25-2021, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
Gills on Fenders, "Sport" emblems

As Doug mentions, the interior is effectively GTO... even the vinyl colors are different between 70 GTO and Lemans.
wat.

Old 09-25-2021, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
wat.
Am not sure what Interior COLOR Doug is mentioning. There were a few more interior color offerings in the '70 LeMans Sport & GTO lines than in the '70 2 door LeMans line.

Old 09-25-2021, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
wat.
Ya, who knew?

My 70 LeMans had the factory green vinyl interior when I bought it.

When I replaced the torn front bench with buckets I decided to keep the original back seat covers as they were in great shape.

The 70 LeMans had ribbed solid vinyl covers (if they weren't cloth). The GTO and LeMans Sport, as you are likely more familiar, had comfortweave inserts front and back.

When I had the buckets recovered, I learned the 70 GTO green was much different than my LeMans vinyl... and I looked at samples from many suppliers, including Legendary. This was an unexpected PITA as I couldn't just order 70 GTO front bucket covers.

The 70 GTO/Sport green is lighter, maybe more metallic than the green used in the 70 LeMans.

I can't say if this same difference affected other colors. Would be interesting to hear from others...

68-69 green vinyl was a better match to my 70 interior. I ended up having Ben Rambo install 68 Chevelle covers (oh the shame). Both the color and the ribbed pattern are a better match to my LeMans interior.

Net: the differences in GTO/Sport and LeMans interiors were more than just style... colors were also different (at least green)

- 1st photo is original rear
- 2nd shows the 68 Chevelle covers...ribs are close but not identical... buttons were added (buttons were on LeMans front and rear, not Chevelle)
- 3rd shows match to original door panels which as noted are a different style than in the GTO/Sport
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_001310.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	573800   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140917_230227_008_zpsgcaqzvzw.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	573801   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180609_184220.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	573802  

Old 09-25-2021, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Willinger View Post
The 1970-71 Lemans Sport was also available as a 4 door hardtop (no upper b pillar). When has been the last time anyone has seen one? And how many with a 400 or better engine?
There was a blue '71 4 door pillar-less for sale out near San Francisco about 10 years ago the seller claimed had a 400 engine. It had rusty trunk problems and was overpriced with a seller unwilling to negotiate at all so I never went to go out and look at it.

Old 09-30-2021, 04:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The simple way to understand what a 70-72 LeMans Sport was is that it was just the new name for what was previously the LeMans. Up to 70 the A body pecking order was (bottom to top): Tempest, Tempest Custom (renamed Custom S in 69), LeMans, GTO. The differences in the first three were primarily trim inside and out and variations in bodystyle choices. The Tempest had the most basic trim and was restricted to 2 and 4 door pillar sedans. Tempest Custom added some nicer interior trim and more bodystyles but still no buckets or even armrest equipped notched bench. The LeMans brought even higher trim including notch back bench or no charge bucket seats on two door models. The GTO used the identical interior trim (apart from name plates of course) of LeMans but with buckets standard and the notchback bench with armrest as a no charge option.

All that happened in 1970 is that the previous Custom trim level cars were now renamed LeMans and the old LeMans trimmed cars were now called LeMans Sport. 1971 was the same (except the bottom rung Tempest was renamed the T37). In 72 it was tweaked substantially; The T37 and LeMans lines were merged into one line all called LeMans (the higher of the two trim levels becoming a trim option rather than a model designation), the LeMans Sport continued unchanged except for dropping the 4 door model. A new top trim level was the Luxury LeMans (2 and 4 door hardtop only) which amounted to fender skirts, extra exterior trim and standard decor option (buckets were optional on the two door). The GTO was downgraded to an option, if ordered on the LeMans Sport it was basically the same content as the 71 but a new choice was that it could be ordered on the base LeMans level. In that case it would have all the same mechanical elements and the endura-hood scoop look but with the bare bones bench seat interior of the base cars. Some other related changes in 72 was that you could no longer order the GTO option on a convertible and if you ordered the GTO option on the base trim LeMans you could now order a 2 door post sedan for the first time since 1967.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 09-30-2021, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Shiny is correct that some interior colors were different between the two lower trim level cars and the LeMans Sport-GTO-Luxury LeMans in the 70-72 years. Some were simply not available across the line but some colors, green and blue come to mind, were actually a different shade between the lower and higher trim levels. Both the blue and green interiors in the cheap trim levels were noticeably different than the same named color in the richer trim levels.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)