Old 04-15-2018, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Speedhut Custom Gauges

Decided rather than restore/repop original type gauges, I modernized to a set of speedhut custom gauges. programmable tach with built in shift light, gps programmable speedometer with quarter mile/et mode, built in blinker and high beams. had mine made with no speedhut logos in the face for a clean appearance. blue night backlighting.

started with a base firebird no a/c woodgrain bezel. bored the 2 holes for the oil and temp gauge to trans am no a/c locations. made 2 metal inserts to fill the factory blinker arrows and epoxied em in. engine turn is the non factory size decal applique. the decal can be done to perfection but it takes patience. I had a roll of the material, took a few times to get it perfect. painted the surround black, added a new dash bird.

Last edited by JUDGE3; 12-20-2023 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDGE3 View Post
Decided rather than restore/repop original type gauges, I modernized to a set of speedhut custom gauges. programmable tach with built in shift light, gps programmable speedometer with quarter mile/et mode, built in blinker and high beams. had mine made with no speedhut logos in the face for a clean appearance. blue night backlighting.

started with a base firebird no a/c woodgrain bezel. bored the 2 holes for the oil and temp gauge to trans am no a/c locations. made 2 metal inserts to fill the factory blinker arrows and epoxied em in. engine turn is the non factory size decal applique. the decal can be done to perfection but it takes patience. I had a roll of the material, took a few times to get it perfect. painted the surround black, added a new dash bird.

Looks amazing! Great job.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Very nice job indeed!!

Old 04-15-2018, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you for the kind words. the decal is a "foil" material being engine turned, not vinyl. anyone else using it give me a shout, there's some tricks to get it right. as I said I made several attempts before being satisfied. be awhile before I install it while working on the restoration. nice part is, I picked up the bezel on ebay for just $40 bucks. now, I would rather have a no ac original trans am bezel but try to find one, and if so crazy money. and that's for one in need of the randy combs restoration. I contemplated an original air conditioning bezel using 4 holes and adding 2 more gauges but it looks to busy for me. those are cheaper and easy to come by though.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks great,! Would you mind telling me the material you used & the source?

Thanks
Murf

Sent from my Z936L using Tapatalk

Old 04-15-2018, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Looks great,! Would you mind telling me the material you used & the source?

Thanks
Murf

Sent from my Z936L using Tapatalk
gladly, I'm all about helping someone avoid hassles. its the small pattern 5/16th engine turn. I had a roll I purchased a few years back, but found foxfire distributing that has the exact same stuff 24" x 10' roll only $21.99. you'll want it, If you've never done it you will probably have to try it a few times. I wouldn't recommend the precut holes stuff on ebay, I can't see laying that down right.

remember its a foil not vinyl, won't stretch. one main thing is, on edges, corners etc use contact cement applied with a small brush. if you try to "wrap" it, air pockets will occur. you have to carefully cut to each corner on the square holes and theres no way not to have a small gap left there, when done use chrome spray paint dabbed on a brush to touch those up and you'll never see it. you can get the whole thing near perfect except the cigarette lighter opening, the shape of that will not allow the foil to stay down, but luckily it doesn't matter because the bezel screws in and covers it and holds it down perfect. good luck.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very well done and tasteful I may add. I like it! Hope to see it all lit up one day!

Old 04-16-2018, 01:38 PM
Senior Chief

Really nice looking!

FYI Randy can turn a standard non-TA dash just like the real one. That also has the advantage of being a bit stiffer than tha TA one.

1971 Trans Am, White/Blue
455 YC Block with Edelbrock Performer RPM Aluminum Heads, 10-10.5 estimated CR, E-Performer Plus cam (soon to be 041 + Rhoads), Comp Cams 1.65:1 roller tip rockers, E-Performer Aluminum Intake (soon to be topped by a FiTech EFI), TRW forged pistons, Hedman Husler Headers, 3" dual exhaust with Flow Master mufflers.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace1971 View Post
Really nice looking!

FYI Randy can turn a standard non-TA dash just like the real one. That also has the advantage of being a bit stiffer than tha TA one.
I had read that somewhere. wonder how scary the price is to do that? yes being steel vs aluminum maybe a bit better. one vender makes a repop but its only for a different configuration for aftermarket stuff.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:57 PM
Senior Chief

I don’t see why it would be more than the standard TA refurb but you should ask him. He did my original TA panel and it came out great.

455 YC Block with Edelbrock Performer RPM Aluminum Heads, 10-10.5 estimated CR, E-Performer Plus cam (soon to be 041 + Rhoads), Comp Cams 1.65:1 roller tip rockers, E-Performer Aluminum Intake (soon to be topped by a FiTech EFI), TRW forged pistons, Hedman Husler Headers, 3" dual exhaust with Flow Master mufflers.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:51 AM
Senior Chief

Looks great! I did the similar thing even epoxies the signals. I did 3m carbon wrap with silver gauges. Yours is a bit more tasteful!

1973 Firebird, Formula hood, 466 roller cam, ported heads, T56, Hotchkis springs, Koni shocks, DSE Subframe connecters, PTFB upper a arms, re-enforced lowers with global west delrim bushings, C5 brakes front and rear, 18 inch Boss 338 wheels, 4th gen TA power seats seats, Morris seatbelts, hydrotech hydroboost, speed hut gauges
1973 Formula 4spd long term project
Old 05-02-2018, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70UglyBird View Post
Looks great! I did the similar thing even epoxies the signals. I did 3m carbon wrap with silver gauges. Yours is a bit more tasteful!
great looking car, please post a pic of the dash you did would like to see it. and any other areas of the car for that matter. very nice.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:30 PM
Senior Chief

I'm a victim of photobucket but I'll post a pic of the dash and interior a bit later!

1973 Firebird, Formula hood, 466 roller cam, ported heads, T56, Hotchkis springs, Koni shocks, DSE Subframe connecters, PTFB upper a arms, re-enforced lowers with global west delrim bushings, C5 brakes front and rear, 18 inch Boss 338 wheels, 4th gen TA power seats seats, Morris seatbelts, hydrotech hydroboost, speed hut gauges
Old 11-21-2018, 10:24 AM

Very nice looking dash! Did you use 4" or 4.5" gauges for the tach and speedo?

Old 11-21-2018, 11:29 AM
Senior Chief

I used the 4” gauges on mine the original hole is slightly larger then 4” but not big enough for the 4.5” one. I used a piece of about 1/4” diameter insulated wire around the base of the gauge and it took up the space nicely and centered the gauge.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

4" tach/speedo yep.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:25 AM

4" speedo and tachometer is understood. What size were the other gauges?
That whole set up looks great. Another question. Does the GPS speedo work good and is it easy to set up?

Old 11-27-2018, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbd73 View Post
4" speedo and tachometer is understood. What size were the other gauges?
That whole set up looks great. Another question. Does the GPS speedo work good and is it easy to set up?
2 1/16 small ones.

check the website pretty sure speedhut shows the install/set up.

I have not installed my dash bezel/gauges in the car yet, still in restoration mode and don't want dust and grinding sparks getting at em.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:03 PM
Senior Chief

Photobucket is back

Old 12-11-2018, 10:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I like the silver gauges. I have the black Speed Hut and after seeing yours...….

She woke up sunny side down and I was still thinking I was too proud to flip her over