Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:13 PM
Senior Chief

Default Self-transport

Quick question. I’ve got a roller 71 Tran Am (with emergency brake only) that I need to move from Florida to Texas. Renting a U-Haul is simple enough but I need to get the car on it. I’m thinking of using a come-along and extra cable but that would mean getting it on the trailer would have to be done in stages since a come-along can only pull 8-ft of cable before the drum is full. Anyone know a better way that would work with a U-Haul? Thanks.

Edit: this is a backup plan in case I can’t get a professional hauler in time...just mention this as I’m sure the first recommendations will be to hire a professional.

1971 Trans Am, White/Blue
455 YC Block with Edelbrock Performer RPM Aluminum Heads, 10-10.5 estimated CR, E-Performer Plus cam (soon to be 041 + Rhoads), Comp Cams 1.65:1 roller tip rockers, E-Performer Aluminum Intake (soon to be topped by a FiTech EFI), TRW forged pistons, Hedman Husler Headers, 3" dual exhaust with Flow Master mufflers.

Last edited by Mace1971; 07-16-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hauled a roller the same way. A come-along and some tie down straps. Wasn't that difficult. Only issue was I had to move some parts around to get enough tongue weight to keep the trailer from dancing around at speed.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

An empty car should be light enough to just push onto the trailer if you have a little help.

Agree on the tongue weight, you don't want that thing tail happy!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 07-16-2018, 04:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I pulled mine from GA to PA using a Uhaul truck and trailer. I parked the it on a downslope and 2 of us pushed the car on to it. The car had most of the motor in it but wasn't running.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:29 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the inputs guys. Went and checked out a U-Haul car carrier today and there’s a convenient D ring welded to the trailer tongue that would work perfectly for a come-along so it looks like I’ve got the option if needed. The comments about front versus rear loading does bring up something that I hadn’t considered. I was thinking it might be easier to spare the front spoiler if I dragged it up backward but then I’d have the weight of the engine in the back, probably a real bad idea! Thanks again.

455 YC Block with Edelbrock Performer RPM Aluminum Heads, 10-10.5 estimated CR, E-Performer Plus cam (soon to be 041 + Rhoads), Comp Cams 1.65:1 roller tip rockers, E-Performer Aluminum Intake (soon to be topped by a FiTech EFI), TRW forged pistons, Hedman Husler Headers, 3" dual exhaust with Flow Master mufflers.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:49 AM
Senior Chief

So, for those of you that used a come-along how did you rig it and where/how did you attach it to the chassis? Chain through one or both lower a-arms?

Old 07-17-2018, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I also took an axle strap and if I recall we pushed the car to where the front wheels were up on the ramps some, that way the cable cleared under the Valance to the strap around the cross member, 68 Firebird with no engine weight so I didn't have the 2nd gen spoiler issue.
You might have to wing it and do yours in stages.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Remove the front spoiler and the valence if necessary to clear the ramps - U-Haul trailers have notoriously short rams and beds. Hook a strap to the cross member under the engine and ratchet it up.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 07-17-2018, 11:39 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks, a strap would certainly be much easier than a chain. Learned a trick to protect the spoiler when another car of mine was loaded on a flatbed. I’ve got a 4x4x12 that I’ll put between the radiator support and strap to keep the strap lower than the spoiler.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
U-Haul trailers have notoriously short rams and beds. .
If memory serves I took some cut up 2 x 8's with me for that reason.
Since I had to drive 8 hrs to check out and buy the car I packed a bunch of stuff.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Put a pulley on that D ring and get a 30 foot piece of rope and tie a big hook to car end and a nother to the other end and hook it to a truck or 4 wheeler and pull the car on. why work?