Old 12-12-2020, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Can someone take pic for me?

Can someone please take a picture of the top of the front fender where it meets the cowl? I am repainting my car are the gap is the size of the door gap. I would think it should be tighter.

Thanks

Old 12-12-2020, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If your hood is not on, keep in mind that the hood and cowl are the same width, so whatever your cowl to fender gap is will extend to your hood to fender gap. If those gaps are too wide you will need to move the door inward closer to the hinge pillar and go forward from there.
If your door fits your quarter well, check the bottom front corner and see if it sticks out further than the rocker. That will show you how much, if any, that the door needs to go in equal amounts on both hinges.

I installed/aligned the sheet metal on the front of this '67 recently. Post #53 shows what mean.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...=769611&page=2

Old 12-12-2020, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My issue is the top of the front fender that butts up to the wind shield. The gap is 1/4". If I move the fender back to make it tight I lose my door gap. The door and hood gaps are fine the way it is. I have fiberglass fenders and they fit pretty good everywhere but this gap seem excessive. I would take a pic but have the car tore apart right now. If it is suppose to be a tight fit I will build it up with some fiberglass.

Old 12-12-2020, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Okay, so you are talking about the A pillar cover. I agree that 1/4" is a bit wide. I think 1/16" to 1/8" would look better. You don't want them touching, but almost.

Old 12-16-2020, 06:33 PM

Here is a copy of the spec from the assembly manual and a picture from my 67 drivers side and one from my 64 passenger side.The gap should be very small.

There was a good thread on here about how shimming the core support helps close that gap and also helps with keeping the rocker moldings straight / flush instead of bowing out at the lower front fender.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67 fender gap.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	556269   Click image for larger version

Name:	67 GTO.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	556270   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07939.jpg
Views:	74