Old 07-18-2021, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 64 GTO MOTOR VALUE

FAIR SELLING PRICE FOR A TRI POWER 4 SPEED BLOCK-HEADS AND TRI POWER AND SOME RODS. THANKS

Old 07-19-2021, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For me, the block has the same value as any other '64 389 block. I assume it includes the crank and caps?

Theory is that GTO blocks are likely to have been more abused than a run of the mill 2 bbl Catalina block. So some prefer to acquire the Catalina block.

But lots of guys will pay a premium for a legit original GTO block if it is date and code matched to their GTO.

It will also need to be stamped with the correct secondary trans code. W being common, smaller market for a 9 trans code (factory correct only for the 3.90 rear axle builds). 8 would be stamped on the uber rare '64 blocks mated to the late year M21 builds. The production of M21 equipped '64 GTOs is virtually zero so, while extremely rare, hard to say such a stamped block would have extra value. No secondary trans code used for a base 3 spd build so I assume there is one on this block as you mention it being for a 4 spd.

Value of the heads and intake likely easily judged from actual eBay completed auctions, I'm not up to speed on value for those parts.

Lack of things like timing chain cover, balancer, water pump, pulleys, carbs, air cleaner, oil pan, exhaust manifolds, distributor, oil filter adapter, and various other trinkets would suppress value for me. Trying to piece together a complete '64 GTO engine could get very expensive buying it piece by piece.

The right hobbyist with the right GTO would pay top dollar.

Finding that guy will take patience and usually a lot of time.

My original block was stamped 78XW with a known from the PHS EUN. So I'm in no need of it. If I was shopping for one, I'd want to see pix of the Manifest Code stamp, the EUN stamp, and the cast date tags on the block, intake and heads.

Unless it was a Pontiac Plant build, all other '64 GTO builds have the EUN shown on the PHS so regardless of the Manifest Code "match", it wouldn't match to the GTO it is transplanted in so hard to claim it adds more value than any other Manifest Coded '64 block. But only my opinion, others believe differently.

In the end, it is worth what somebody pays for it. Until money changes hands, any value estimate is just an opinion, IMO!

I maintain a '64 Engine log. If you care to post the Manifest Code, EUN, and cast date tag code on the block, I'd welcome the opportunity to record it. I also record the Assembly Plant, Time Built code, and Model from the Data Plate but I assume the GTO the engine was original to is long gone and unknown so I would just record the engine data.

Old 07-22-2021, 07:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Value based on machine shop report.