THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-31-2021, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default What happened to Summit

They used to have great Tech Support and you never had to wait on hold. Now you wait forever even if you have your part numbers and god forbid you have a question. I tried calling their old tech line and they will only give support on summit brand products. Oh well another one falls by the wayside. I will still use them of course but the service just isn’t there anymore

Old 08-31-2021, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a friend who is trying to find headers for his 71 Chevy Nova with angle plug heads on a 350. I looked online on Summit's website and found a set that said they would work with angle plug heads. I gave my friend the part number and told him to order the headers. He called Summit to order the headers. The guy at Summit talked him into another set of their coated Summit name headers. He told my friend that they would work with angle plug heads. They did not, unless you wanted to beat some of the header tubes 1/2 way closed with a hammer. So, he sent them back and ordered the ones that I gave him the part number of. Their tech support is not very good these days it seems. But they do ship very quick if you know what you need.

Last edited by John Milner; 08-31-2021 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

You are NOT thinking about how current times are different from just 2 years ago. The virus ordeal has changed everything!!! Many companies laid off folks because of the virus, THEN decided NOT to hire them back!!! Paying newbies half the salary they were paying their seasoned veteran employees.
I can't say, this is the case here, or anywhere, BUT it has happened!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 77 TRASHCAN For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2021, 03:28 PM
Suspended

I never used tech people.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 389 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2021, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To hell with tech people I waited 45 mins to get a person to place an order. They are basically forcing you to order online. I tried the text option and they told me to call

Old 08-31-2021, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
You are NOT thinking about how current times are different from just 2 years ago. The virus ordeal has changed everything!!! Many companies laid off folks because of the virus, THEN decided NOT to hire them back!!! Paying newbies half the salary they were paying their seasoned veteran employees.
I can't say, this is the case here, or anywhere, BUT it has happened!!!
I noticed a shift before Covid but not this extreme.

Old 08-31-2021, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My tech people are right here on this forum

They are slow as heck and don't speak very good English but they know their stuff

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2021, 04:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It’s a shame what they have done to Summit. Of course they didn’t reduce prices along with all the savings they generated getting rid of all their people.

Don

Old 08-31-2021, 05:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It’s 2021. I’m amazed people are still ordering items over the phone other than from mom and pop operations. Adds more room for error IME.

Old 08-31-2021, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am actually amazed Summit is able to get out what they do now given our supply chain issues. Companies from as small as us to gorillas like Summit have been experiencing orders up 4 fold compared to pre-Covid.

My guess is to handle this issue Summit has shifted their tech people to handling phone orders; you have more experienced people and can do this task remotely - reducing the chance of spread. We stopped doing tech by phone years ago as it is a huge time waster and suspended phone orders as we have as much as we can handle now just online.

Old 08-31-2021, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Guys,as tons of stuff is coming from offshore it is really hard to get anything.There is 44 container ships anchored offshore of Long Beach waiting to even get into the harbor to get a berth to unload and also the issue of trying to get anyone to actually work these days.It’s tough time we live in right now.Tom

Old 08-31-2021, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I stopped about a month ago into their Dallas (Arlington) Store. On my way back to Florida. This place is huge!! It was on a Friday about 4 oclock in the afternoon. It was extremely packed w/ buyers just milling about and every counter where tech could be assisting others had a Sales rep/ tech person there. Every register had a person working as well. Floor and aisles were clean and organized. Time to talk w/ in store tech was a lengthy process as the lines were long. But did not see any frustrated people either. Cannot say anything about their call center but their distribution center in Texas is on point. I can comfortably say, they had enough knowledgeable employees working the floor at that time.

I can only imagine how many people call wanting to talk shop and asking for info on how to fix their cars, tune their carbs, ask which way to turn their distributer to advance it etc.... etc... ....

Old 08-31-2021, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 389 View Post
I never used tech people.
Similar deal here, am in a total different segment of the Pontiac hobby than those in the Street "builder" crowd.
When I have ordered a part from Summit or Jegs, I knew what I was ordering & have been fortunate have never had to do a return.

Old 08-31-2021, 07:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Also the customer service reps are still working from home. They use their systems to check on your inquiry. They resolved several of my issues and were a good help. You can avoid the wait times by leaving a call back number and they actually CALL YOU BACK!

The Following User Says Thank You to Andretti For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2021, 08:41 PM
Senior Chief

The Summit store in Ohio has been trying to hire people for over a year. They are short staffed. The newest ad I have seen is offering work from home. The problem is, they are only starting at about $12/hr and nobody wants to work for that.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On the plus side, I recently had a great experience with Ames. I ordered a new “stock” set of engine mounts for the new build, then learned they weren’t strong enough. Tech support walked me through getting the proper ones and the return.

Old 09-01-2021, 12:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Summit and Ames are my go to. I'm lucky to have them to support the hobby

455/469 w/ #48 Heads, '65 Tri-Power
9.25:1 CR
Stump Puller Cam
Muncie M22W 1st-2.56 2nd-1.75 3rd-1.37 4th-1.00
3.55 Rear Differential
Front: 225/60R15 Height: 25.6"
Rear: 275/60R15 Height: 28"
Old 09-01-2021, 06:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
To hell with tech people I waited 45 mins to get a person to place an order. They are basically forcing you to order online. I tried the text option and they told me to call
Why would you call in an order? Much less wait 45 minutes on hold to place an order.

In two minutes, you could have found the part you wanted online and been done. Summit has a great website and it's easy to find what you need 99% of the time.

If it's truly a complicated order or one of those rare times that you can't find your part, in the current employee shortage situation, 45 minutes is unpleasant, but not unexpected.

Old 09-01-2021, 07:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdk1976 View Post
It’s 2021. I’m amazed people are still ordering items over the phone other than from mom and pop operations. Adds more room for error IME.
Absolutely agree.My bud has a speed shop,and has been in the business forever.But,he can`t get everything,so he sends me to Summit.

I ordered some Fragola fittings from him the other week.With shipping and tax,his price was $40 cheaper than Summit.

Ken French Built Chassis

Carlquist Competition Engines IA2 505
Competition CNC Ported Super Chiefs
CCE Ported Gustram
Twin Dominators from Shaker 455
963 HP

`09 Electra Glide Standard.

`03 F-350 7.3 6-speed 4x4 Crew Cab Dually.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
I am actually amazed Summit is able to get out what they do now given our supply chain issues. Companies from as small as us to gorillas like Summit have been experiencing orders up 4 fold compared to pre-Covid.

My guess is to handle this issue Summit has shifted their tech people to handling phone orders; you have more experienced people and can do this task remotely - reducing the chance of spread. We stopped doing tech by phone years ago as it is a huge time waster and suspended phone orders as we have as much as we can handle now just online.
I would imagine this is a large part of the problem. From what I have seen on other forums, auctions, local shops etc. I think Covid gave the auto a hobby a big boost. Lots of people with nothing better to do than work on their cars. Then the govt starts handing out money arbitrarily so there is a boost to the expense account. Coupled with real stores shutting down. They are probably just overwhelmed. I know the last 10 months have been busier for me than the any time period in the previous 5 years.