The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 07-01-2002, 08:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I hope nobody minds but I wanted a topic I can use for different questions since it seems I'm going to be asking a lot of them.

First, how is the panel betweeen the trunk lid and the rear glas installed? I pulled the three rear screws but there has to be some up front. Does the glass have to come out first? It looks that way due to all of the goo covering everything.

The glass still isn't out due to getting another body to help with things but I should have help on Wednesday.

Second, is there a good method to remove glue and rubber from the trunk seal channel? I'm thinking of a wire wheel at this point.

Third, any ideas on cleaning the inside of the doors? They are pretty greasy and dirty.

Dave

Old 07-01-2002, 08:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I hope nobody minds but I wanted a topic I can use for different questions since it seems I'm going to be asking a lot of them.

First, how is the panel betweeen the trunk lid and the rear glas installed? I pulled the three rear screws but there has to be some up front. Does the glass have to come out first? It looks that way due to all of the goo covering everything.

The glass still isn't out due to getting another body to help with things but I should have help on Wednesday.

Second, is there a good method to remove glue and rubber from the trunk seal channel? I'm thinking of a wire wheel at this point.

Third, any ideas on cleaning the inside of the doors? They are pretty greasy and dirty.

Dave

Old 07-03-2002, 11:49 AM

Dave,
From my experience on the "Other" 2nd-gen F-Body, There are three more screws at the top of the filler panel. You probably need to remove the window. I don't know for sure, it was already out on my project and it has been a long time.

Do you plan to paint the area where the weatherstip was? If so, paint stripper will make short work of it. If not, lacquer thinner, a rag, and soaking will break-down adhesive (paint too). You would need to wash-off the stripper to neutralize it if you go that route.

Inside of doors- Probably no quick way for this. If there are blobs of grease, remove with a rag and thinner. Then wash the shells with detergent, scrub brush, and water. Be careful with your choice, some water-based de-greasers, like Castrol, will soften and / or peel paint and aren't too friendly to the user. I would start with dishwashing detergent and see how it does. Also, be careful to not wash the grease out of the window regulator and track on glass. Best to remove those, clean, and re-lube separate from the shell.