Old 12-05-2020, 11:00 PM
Senior Chief

Default Replacement Wiring Harness for '64 Grand Prix

I posted this under the Electrical section and received no replies, so hopefully, I'll have better luck with you guys..

For my winter project for my ongoing restoration of my '64 Grand Prix, I am going to tackle replacing the wiring in the car. The car is stripped down to a body shell already, though I have the original complete harness and connectors available in storage.

My options for replacement harnesses appear to be 1) buy all the various pieces of a reproduction of the factory harness from a company like American Autowire and reuse my original fuse block and firewall connector or 2) buy a completely new, replacement, semi-generic harness from a company like Painless in the style of a '60s GM car and make it work.

I'm leaning toward option 2 and getting a replacement harness from Painless or Ron Francis Wiring. I am not concerned about the correct factory appearance of the wiring...I just want something safe, as affordable as possible, upgradeable in the future if I like (i.e. I want to add electric fans or put in a stereo system), and something someone learning automotive electrical like me can tackle. The replacement harnesses appear to be a bit less expensive than buying a reproduction harness, I can upgrade to modern fuses with more circuits, and I don't have to reuse my 56-year-old, corroded fuse block and firewall connector. I realize that this option though will be harder to wire as I'll be making my own connections, terminations, etc. and the wire colors and other things won't match my original harness.

Are there any other options for types of harnesses or harness manufacturers you can recommend? Any of them I should stay away from? Features or accessories I should consider including? Would buying a harness for a '64 or '65 GTO from a place like Painless help get me closer to a harness I can use on my Grand Prix rather than starting with a semi-generic 60s GM harness?

Thanks for your help!

Old 12-06-2020, 11:16 AM

Hi AZ64GP, I replaced the Dash Harness, Engine Harness, and Forward Lamp Harness in my 64 GP
The Dash Harness I had done about 5 years ago and the other 2 earlier this year.
I sent them to Ames who I believe sent them to Lectric Limited?
They did a great job on all 3. There is like a 6-8 week lead time
but I had them done over the Winter.
I am just about to install the Engine and Forward lamp harnesses within the next couple weeks.

Just installed a new engine in the car so getting close
Good Luck with your GP

Old 12-06-2020, 11:24 AM

Forgot to mention you will need to send them your Fuse Panel, and Bulk Head Connectors
for the Engine and Lamp Harnesses

Rich

Old 12-06-2020, 11:55 AM
Senior Chief

Thank you for the info, 64gp4spd! I think I may go aftermarket with mine though rather than having someone replacing the wiring on my original harness.

Old 12-06-2020, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm curious, is the existing wiring harness in bad shape? As long as they haven't been hacked up by previous owners, the biggest thing I've seen is corroded connections at the headlights or taillight sockets, but that just requires repairs at the ends with new connectors or sockets. Since you're in Arizona, maybe they get dried out and cracked from the heat.

Old 12-06-2020, 04:45 PM
Senior Chief

Thank you for the reply, Stuart. I don't think the existing wiring harness is in really bad shape or not salvageable, but I don't know if I want to reuse the fuse block and connectors and risk restoring them. The car sat outside in AZ for about 20 years in a dirt lot, and anything plastic, rubber, or vinyl is toast. From what I have seen, having new harnesses made using the original block and firewall connectors, along with replacing all of the other harnesses, will cost at least $2k. So cost is definitely part of my concern, as a modern harness from a place like Painless is about 1/4 of the cost. If I was building a rare, show car that would remain 100% numbers matching (i.e. I've upgraded to disc brakes, will be using a different trans, etc.), I would spend the money and stay stock with the wiring harness to keep the car correct. I'd really like a new harness with a modern fuse block and the ability to add to the car's electrical system as time goes on.

Old 01-22-2021, 10:15 AM

I'm also in the same boat, My 64 Cat' lived in Arizona its entire life, the main problem I am having is the plastic connectors and wire sheathing is super brittle and peeling away.

Last thing I want is a short and an electrical fire!

Come see what I'm currently designing! - JakeSmith.de