Old 07-18-2012, 04:25 PM

Default What to do Next?

It’s been slow going since I got the car back from bodywork and paint. Front and rear suspensions are done, including brakes, but not steering. Gas tank, fuel line and exhaust are in and the car is finally on tires instead of jack stands.

Still need to install the engine (after painting), all the glass, wiring, interior and trim. Not sure what to try and tackle next. I purchased some Eastwood Thermo-acoustic material for insulation, so I guess doing the interior makes sense.

Any suggestions from those who’ve done this before? I’m working alone, so any two-man jobs will have to wait until fall, when my parents come to visit (dad brings his coveralls).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1454.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	291533   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1460.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	291534  

Old 07-18-2012, 07:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I wish I had your dilemma. Looks awesome so far. Interior, wiring, glass would be next for me. Or exterior trim. Motor, trans, and front clip would be easier with two people.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:27 PM

64WW - Thanks for the compliment. I left the bodywork and paint to the professionals, but am trying to do as much as I can myself.

I still need to track down some non-tinted rear glass to stay true to the firewall data plate (group 1 W = tinted glass, windshield only). Does anyone know where to find a non-tinted rear window? I'll leave the windshield and rear glass installation to the professionals as well.

So I guess that leaves the interior, wiring and side glass. I'm getting ready to send my 1/4 glass channels to Restoration Specialties to be refurbished based on positive posts from other members.

This forum is full of great information. I've been using it for research, but will probably be posting more questions as things progress.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a rear ( back lite) clear rear glass. Pm me. Lucky not to need a windshield. Hard to find clear.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You can get any or all new glass from http://www.autocityclassic.com/
They will even put the right date bug on the glass for you. We bought a new back glass for the 64 we are doing, excellent service and delivery time.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

not clear!

all the tint you want . NO CLEAR. I paid 500.00 for a clear no tint or shade w/s
and back Clear is not out there. Date codes you can do you can do your self.

not sure if the judge takes off anyway????

Old 07-20-2012, 01:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

1964-65 Back Glass B3238

Price: $249.00

Fits Pontiac Models:
  • 65 Tempest 2 Dr Ht
Fits Oldsmobile Models:
  • 65 Cutlass 2 Dr Ht
Fits Buick Models:
  • 65 Skylark 2 Dr Ht

• Available clear and original green tint
  • Date coding available for clear and green tint at additional charge. Special orders please call 1-800-828-2212

http://www.autocityclassic.com/index...mart&Itemid=41

Old 07-20-2012, 02:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey, not trying to discount your research. but when you make the order they will tell you tint only. they are ok people but they through it out there, but....There is very limited clear class out there. NO market for this product.

I will bet there are 99% of the show cars (GTO's ) that have the wrong glass, tint and dates then there are tri-power upgrades .

There's gotta be some balance. LOL

Old 08-03-2012, 05:31 PM

I called Auto City and they don't have the rear glass in clear. I'm not too worried about the correct date code, but maybe on the windshield. I did find the rear clear at Bob's Classic Auto Glass. Won't order it just yet as I've changed my plans and decided to do some work on the engine before painting and installing it.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:43 PM

Were the tinted windshields green, blue or grey? I think blue or grey might look better with the paint scheme (bluemist slate & dark blue interior). But if green is correct, I'll probably go with that since I'm trying to stay as original as possible. Also, did all tinted windshields in '65 come with the darker "band" on top, or did they start doing that later?

Old 08-04-2012, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdoneen View Post
Were the tinted windshields green, blue or grey? I think blue or grey might look better with the paint scheme (bluemist slate & dark blue interior). But if green is correct, I'll probably go with that since I'm trying to stay as original as possible. Also, did all tinted windshields in '65 come with the darker "band" on top, or did they start doing that later?
In the day you got the shade the tint that matched you paint interior scheme. The band at the top was called shaded glass . The tint was the complete glass. Of course the shade was only on w/s . The tint was included ( must buy ) on all a/c equipped cars.