Old 01-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default "Big D shocks"

I have been tearing at my Judge and pulled the rear shocks. I always thought they were some hokey 70's cheapos. They are delco Big D bright red air shocks. Has anyone ever heard of them? What vintage are they? I assume dealer provided or installed due to the clean install of them. If you saw the work I am undoing on the car you would understand why I know they were not put on by a prior owner. I would guess they were a solution to the giant bias ply GT qualifyers that they stuck on this thing? If anyone knows anything about these let me know as I am curious. Mark

Old 01-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Many people thought the original cars sat too low in the back - lower than the front - while this is correct tons of the cars made it to midas to have the shocks replaced. Many of the low mile original cars i have owned have had almost nothing changed but the shocks. Guy also have a hard time finding the correct springs since many of these were replaced for the same reason. There is a guy at Carlise every year and he has all kinds of DELCO shocks and those seem like something he has.

I only wish i could of had all the sprial shocks and springs that made it in the dumpster back then - not a thing wrong with them. Sometimes you can still find the take off's at the swap meet.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am traveling with uncle sam right now so I can't put up any pictures of these. I know the tail dragging thing very well. I took the original spiral shocks off of the front the other day along with these. They look like they have been on there for a long time, the car has been in deep storage for about 25 years or so, these shocks looked like they had some road time on them as they had almost as much clay on them as the spirals on the front. I have an original set of spirals I took off of something a long while ago for the rear as well. The front shocks will most likely clean up so well they may not even need a repaint. I found a couple of tags still on the Dr side frame above the drum as well, car is quite well preserved originality wise. I am mostly trying to figure out what vintage these air shocks are, if they are vintage 71 or so they are kind of cool and could be something the dealer installed. If they are late 70's early 80's right before the car was parked might not be so cool. Mark

Old 01-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably came out in the mid-70s. I believe it's not original.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DelcoBigD.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	154139