Old 08-22-2005, 09:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A little old but my 65 Catalina Safari has Auto trans, A/C, Power Steering, Luggage rack, and AM radio.

Manual brakes. And whoever bought it put a trailer hitch on it.

Panic stops are a 2 legged manuver. LOL

Old 08-26-2005, 07:14 PM

Default 73 Grandville

I found my build sheet, not in very good shape but I can make out some of it.
C60 Manual Air Conditioning
L75? 455 4BB
N10? Dual Exhaust
D35 O/S R/V mirror
D98 Stripe Group
N98 Rally II wheels
N30 Deluxe steering wheel
N33 Tilt steering wheel
JL1 Cust Trim Pad
T87 cornering Lamp
U69 AM-FM Radio
U80 Rear seat speaker
VE5 bumper strips
V31 Front bumper guards
V32 Rear bumper guards
What is JL1 Cust Trim Pad? Also is the D98 Stripe Group a pin stripe option? It has pin striping on it but I thought the original owner put it on.

Old 08-28-2005, 12:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for posting that info. I am not sure what "cust trim pad" is, but there was a "custom" option, but that was just an upgraded interior.

I will look into it.

Any photos of this car? Is it a 2 or 4 door?

Old 08-28-2005, 03:25 AM

Thanks Shaffer for checking that out for me. I posted alot of pictures in "73 Grandville 455" thread.

Old 08-29-2005, 12:29 PM

JL1 refers to the chrome trim around your brake/accelerator/parking brake cables. You are a lucky person to have a non-Pontiac plant GrandVille Convertible. My car was built in Pontiac so there is no buildsheet like what you have, unfortunately.

Looks like the left-most part of your buildsheet is missing-- those are where the glass options usually are...
e.g.
A01 -tinted glass
A90 Power trunk
AU3 PoWER Locks
A31 Power windows
etc.

Oh, and D98 is the pinstripe code. If you look in the upper part of your buildsheet where all the boxes are -- it should be one or two lines up from where your C60 code is...you'll see four boxes grouped together. I think it's labeled "Paint" or something. Anyway, the boxes are "UP", "LW", "ST", "W" or something like that. "UP" is the upper body color (the top, vinyl or conv't, OR 2-tone) -- it may have an "A" for white convertible top, "B" for black convertible top, etc.

"LW" is the main body color.
"ST" is the stripe color! usually it's a two-digit numeric code (11= white for instance).
"W" is wheel color. It will usually be "19" for black unless your car has rally wheels. Rally wheel cars usually have "**" or "--" there.

Hope that helps!

I got this info from collecting hundreds of buildsheets over the last 15 years or so.

Old 08-30-2005, 12:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Junqueboi - do you know where they typically put the build sheets? I really wish I still had the factory window sticker with my car. There are a lot of old papers in the glove compartment. I need to look at them again closely. Hopefully it is still in there and I just overlooked it.

Old 08-30-2005, 01:04 AM

Junqueboi, you are like a Pontiac buildsheet encyclopedea! I found half of a very fragile build sheet under the rear seat, thats were the info came from my previous post. I also found a build sheet as I was scaping the tar insulation stuff off the front floor, I thought it was very strange place to leave it! Its stained pretty bad but I can make out some of the options:
A03 Lock ?
A01 Tinted Glass
A31 Power Windows
A30? DLX ST Belts
A42 6 Way PWR ST
A65 Notch BK Seat
B80 ? Drip MLD
B85 ? MLD
B86 ?
B96 ?

UP = A
LW = 66
ST = 60A in the same box was 19, I can't make out if a code was above it

If you know what these color codes are I would apreciate it, I'm wanting to paint with original colors. I really liked the pin stripe even though its old 70s style.

Old 08-30-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Shaffer & SuperChicken:

Hey Tony,

Buildsheet location varies according to plant. I can't remember what all plants the full-sized '73s were built at other than Fairfax (Kansas City, MO), Doraville (GA), & Pontiac (MI).

The 8th char of your VIN# denotes the assembly plant:
D = doraville
X = Kansas City
P = Pontiac

D & X cars had the "good" buildsheets. SuperChicken either has a D or an X car (lucky devil!).

Pontiac cars had a cryptic "Broadcast Order" sheet or something like that. They were usually located on top of the gas tank. I've not seen that particular sheet in any other location. They are usually square sheets with just boxes & letter codes on them. Usually they are in real bad shape; many times they are still readable though. I take a dry paintbrush & dust the crap off them b/c they are so delicate.

Pontiac cars also had various other doc... For example, my Pontiac (built) '73 Grand Prix had a small 3"x5" piece of paper with a few codes scribbled on it -- it was hog-ringed to the lower back seat section. I have seen a few other '73 Pontiacs (A & G body cars) with the same sheet hog ringed to the back of the rear seat. Our big Pontiacs had cardboard rear seat backs so I doubt you'll find one there.

The weirdest find on the Pontiac-built cars is a very very large heavy sheet located under the carpeting: I can't remember if it was between the floor & the tarpaper or between the tarpaper & the carpet. I found it when I pulled the carpet out of my green '73 Grand Prix. It was stained almost completely black but it was LOADED with information. I could only read about 10% of it. Paper was very thick -- if you took two 8.5 x 11 sheets of paper & put them together...that's how big it was. Wild. If you have a Pontiac-built car that's in pretty good shape, do yourself a favor & pull your whole interior out one weekend, carpet & all. The longer you wait, the more that potential treasure under your feet will rot away.

Okay, now if you have a DORAVILLE '73 Pontiac, good luck. I used to have a 29K mile '73 Bonneville coupe (a beauty!) & completely dismantled the interior (save for the carpet) looking for the buildsheet. Nothing. I found a corner (about the size of one of the smilies you see here) stuck under the front-seat area. I've noticed that most full-sized '73 Doraville cars, Pontiac & Chevy, had buildsheets placed underneath very LH edge of the front seat (under the driver). It's usually half-exposed (if you stick your head under the seat). The other half is smushed between the seat frame toward the rear. Most all of these sheets are ruined, missing, or large parts missing anyway.

I have only found one Doraville car with a partial sheet under the carpet. Doraville went wild with sheets in the A-body line (mainly Chevy) & I've found up to four sheets in one '77 Monte Carlo! They were stingy on the full-sized cars though.

Now if you have a Fairfax car, you have the best chance. I'll bet S.C.'s car is a Fairfax car! Fairfax cars many times had buildsheets taped to the inside of one of the lower plastic door panels. Many times they'll stick one under the front or rear seat springs as well. Don't know about under the carpet, as it's too much work to research!

Hope that helped!

Old 08-30-2005, 07:28 PM

Default SC

Hey, thanks for the compliment!
This stuff has always fascinated me.

I have a brochure at home (I think Tony does too). Code 66 is Burnished Umber I think? I'll check later. Sort of an interesting Brownish/Grayish variant. "A" is for white so you have a white top. Very cool.

A03 Lock ? == Actually it's AU3 -- power locks
A01 Tinted Glass
A31 Power Windows
A30? DLX ST Belts -- I think Deluxe Belts is AK1.
A42 6 Way PWR ST
A65 Notch BK Seat -- yeah, that's the seat with the armrest. A52 is regular bench seat.
B80 ? Drip MLD
B85 ? MLD
B86 ?
B96 ? -- door edge guards? I'll figure these molding options out.

UP = A
LW = 66
ST = 60A in the same box was 19, I can't make out if a code was above it

This is fun. I may not get back to you today (I just met a GIRL!)

Old 09-06-2005, 09:59 AM
Senior Chief

Not sure if you can call this an option, more like rare this hearse is one of less than 30 built in 67, sure wish I had the $3,900 to buy it. I don't care for the gold repaint tho.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67 Pont Superior front.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	26456   Click image for larger version

Name:	67 Pont Superior Left.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	26457   Click image for larger version

Name:	67 POnt Superior Right.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	26458  

Old 09-09-2005, 12:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That is a very interesting 67'. Thanks for posting the photos.

Junqueboi- thanks for that information. I think I have a Pontiac car, but I doubt I will be pulling the interior anytime soon. . I just don't have the time- which is always the case. I would probably break something anyway. .

I am going to go through the papers in my glove box and see if the original window sticker is in there. I wish it was- then I would know about some of the options that I cannot see.

I still wish I could find a site like this one: http://www.72electra.com/1972%20PRODUCTION.htm that covers the 73' Grand Villes. I would love to know the percentage of options these cars had.

Old 10-10-2005, 02:09 PM

Smile

Hi Shaffer,
I have a 75 Grandville Convertible that I've owned since 1992, bought form original owner in FL. My car is equipped with:
PWR Windows, PWR Locks, Cruise, Tilt Wheel, Delay Wipers, Full Gauge Package with Vacuum gauge and Trip Odometer, Auto Temp Control (A/C and Heat), Optional Digital Clock (passenger side dash), AM/FM 8-track, PWR Trunk, PWR Driver Seat with split bench, Cornering lamps, 455 (optional for 1975) Door Edge Guards, Front and rear Bumper Guards, PWR steering and brakes (I believe standard equipment for these cars) Rally II rims, Driver and Passenger Remote outside sport mirrors, and very unusual code 51 SunStorm Yellow Paint.

Thanks for the post, you seem very interested in these cars. I'm glad there are others out there, besides me, that love these cars.
Jimmy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GV BACK 4.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	29468  

Old 10-10-2005, 07:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the input and welcome to PY!

That is a nice car you have there. Sounds like it had every option available. That is a rare color. Do not see many that color.

Thanks again.

Old 10-12-2005, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

that's a cool lookiing hearse!

Old 11-20-2005, 01:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-...QQcmdZViewItem

Here is a neat 73' Catalina 2dr, that is lowly optioned. It does not even have A/C. I am puzzled, though. Instead of a regular vent below the headlamp/wiper switch, it looks like something else there with levers. Is this something that the non-AC cars had? Some kind of vent control?

I have never noticed it before.

It does have the following options though - 400 V8, side moldings, bumper gaurds and AM radio. Looks like that is about it.

Old 11-20-2005, 12:38 PM

I have a 1973 Grand Ville convertible - White ext. maroon int., A/C, lower door courtsey lights, cornering lights, single rearview mirror(manual), PW, PS, PB, PL, AM/FM radio, trunk release in glove box, rally 2's, auto seat back release.

There may be more options I am not sure what they are all called. I have owned this 73 Grand Ville for about 6 weeks. I bought in Savannah GA. It has 67,000 original. I am the second owner I got the orignal paperwork from the dealer.

6 years ago I owned a 1971 Grand Ville which is how I came to know that it will be the kind of car I drive. I bought for $475 dollars from a friend who had traded an old datsun and an 84 6cyl mustang conv. for it. I was 18 then and the attenion and tickets were to much and I sold it for $1200 and I wish I could have it back. So if you hear of one in the area that dosent cost an arm and a leg let me know.
The wierd thing about that cars is it had no options. No power windows or locks or seat. No bumper guards or moldings just a very strong 455/400.

Old 11-25-2005, 06:08 PM

71 Grand Ville
PS
PW
No PL
Rear window defrost
A/C
Sholder harness
No pass. rearview mirror
Black loop pile carpet with pearl white vinyl
AM/FM
Courtsey lights on doors
Rally 2's
Cruise control

Im not sure if there is anything else.

Old 12-24-2005, 05:18 AM

Default www.johnsclassicwheelart.com

restored rally 2 wheels

Old 12-29-2005, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default DeDsLeDs 71 grandville and 72 grandsafari

the 71 is kinda for sale in my ebay store "Grateful Parts".

71 grandville 4drhdtp

gulf green/dark green top/ olivish green paisly materialed interior

455/4, hei, heads decked twenty thousands, 3 angle valve job, 068 cam/lifters, rebiult 71 jetted up quadrajet, 3.08 posi, dual exhaust, rebuilt t400 w/shift kit.

fully loaded 71,000 miles!

the 72 grand safari wagon (6 passenger)

all stock original ,well sort of.....

455, (added 72 4brl setup), curve kit, dual exhaust, 3.23 open, a/c (works), rally IIs, craig floor mounted 8 track/fm stereo, tilt, am radio, power rear window. THAT'S IT!

springfield green with woodgrain, saddle interior.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	29_1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	36987   Click image for larger version

Name:	5e_1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	36988  

1971 bonneville hearse 455/4
1972 grand safari wagon 6 pass 455/4
1995 Firebird Formula 5.7 convertible
2002 gp 40th anniv. SC V6
2003 gmc sierra 2500hd 8.1 liter

***LIKE MY FACEBOOK PAGE https://www.facebook.com/GratefulParts***

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GRATEFUL...__W0QQ_armrsZ1
Old 12-31-2005, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default pics of my 72 Grand Safari, 71 Bonneville hearse, 75 grand safari

71 hearse 1 of 23 made, looks good in pics, but needs resto. 455, added 71 4brl setup, duals, f/r A/C, siren, added a rally gauge cluster, AM/FM.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a9_1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	37195   Click image for larger version

Name:	56_1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	37196   Click image for larger version

Name:	a1_1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	37197   Click image for larger version

Name:	f4_1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	37198  

1971 bonneville hearse 455/4
1972 grand safari wagon 6 pass 455/4
1995 Firebird Formula 5.7 convertible
2002 gp 40th anniv. SC V6
2003 gmc sierra 2500hd 8.1 liter

***LIKE MY FACEBOOK PAGE https://www.facebook.com/GratefulParts***

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GRATEFUL...__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Last edited by dedsleds; 12-31-2005 at 06:32 PM.