Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 11-08-2011, 11:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default "67 B-body

My '67 GP has it's original springs. My car came with Heavy Load Springs. How can I tell if the springs are still in good shape? The car doesn't bounce around on the road/fwy. Going to replace all the ball joints and bushings front and rear this winter. Is there a way to test them? Thanks Scott

Old 11-17-2011, 02:55 PM

I hate to see 67GP questions go unanswered. Short of taking them off and having them compression checked by someone who may or may not know what the original rates were, check the ride height. The exact ride height for the 67 Pontiacs is in the shop manual.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:08 PM

When figuring the ride height, make sure you are taking into account any tire/wheel changes from stock as well. I have seen many guys chase a ride height/spring/suspension problem when the issue really was a new radial with a smaller height than stock.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I did check the height per my '67 shop manual at the height points. Checked ok. Also measured at the wheel wells front and rear. At the the rear, pass side is a 1/2" lower? Front measures the same.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:57 PM

The measurement with the discrepency: since '67 alot of "changes" could have occured to the body and frame. With 40 y/o springs still on it's amazing these old cars are even close to level. 1/2" is going to be tough to track down and explain, but if you're looking to get new springs anyway...