Old 02-28-2021, 11:36 AM

Default Technical question. Steering linkage, 67 Firebird

Hi group, I have a technical question about the pitman arm and steering linkage on my 1967 Firebird.

My car originally had a 6 cyl engine.

The power steering box has a straight pitman arm. I am now installing a V8 326 Engine with stock exhaust manifolds.
The driver side exhaust manifold is the stock manifold and is a center dump manifold.

I noticed after installing the exhaust pipes that the Pitman arm will hit the pipe and I have done some research that I will need a curved pitman arm.

Here are my questions. Are the power steering boxes all the same between the V6 cars and the V8 cars?
Secondly to do this V8 transition. do I need anything beside the curved pitman arm, for instance a different Center steering rod that the pitman arm attaches to? Thank you

Old 02-28-2021, 02:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

As far as I know the steering boxes were all the same. I have never heard anyone say that there were 2 different boxes . As for the centerlink, there is a 6 cyl and a V8 link. The links are slightly different because of the shapes of the two oil pans. I know for sure that you can use a 6 cyl centerlink with a V8 in a 69 Firebird, but I'm not sure about the 67. The 69 centerlink is different than the 67-68 links . Hopefully someone else will chime in with that answer.

The Following User Says Thank You to ANDYA For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 08:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just looked in the Ames catalog. They have a centerlink for 67-68 that will work for both 6 cyl and V8 applications. Being you are going to have to change the pitman arm to the curved version and possibly the centerlink, now may be a good time to install a new idler arm and tie rods. This way your starting with everything new. The way we use our cars this should be the last time you will have to change these parts

The Following User Says Thank You to ANDYA For This Useful Post: