Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 01-01-2021, 07:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Legendary Front Seat Upholstery Coming Apart at the Seams: New Install

I am close to completing the upholstery on one front bucket seat bottom. I noticed a split in the seams in two areas as I was rolling the upholstery over the two front corners of the seats. In my opinion, this is the most difficult part of this project. I used the Legendary web site as a guide for this upholstery installation (https://www.legendaryautointeriors.c...lation-videos/). I replaced the broken springs with new ones, placed burlap over the springs, then a layer of cotton, then the ACI seat padding. I don’t think it is too thick. I’ll contact Legendary this Monday and hopefully they will give me a replacement. These splits can only get worse. If these splits are caused by my novice installation, then I will accept my losses and move on. I bought the Legendary upholstery and ACI foam for their known quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LegendaryFrontSeats.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	557353   Click image for larger version

Name:	LegendaryFrontSeats1.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	557354   Click image for larger version

Name:	LegendaryFrontSeats2.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	557355   Click image for larger version

Name:	LegendaryFrontSeats3.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	557356   Click image for larger version

Name:	LegendaryFrontSeats4.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	557357  

Old 01-01-2021, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is not your fault. Defect in manufacture. I am sure Legendary will back their product. Keep us posted.

Old 01-01-2021, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a similar experience with mine I did last year. Not as bad. But, I figured it was me and lived with it.

Old 01-01-2021, 10:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest1964 View Post
This is not your fault. Defect in manufacture. I am sure Legendary will back their product. Keep us posted.
Thank you "tempest1964", I feel a little better after reading your response. I'll certainly update this thread after I contact Legendary.

I wonder if this could be unique to this bottom seat vinyl stitching or a defective batch. If the latter, I can expect the same stitch separation with this seat's back vinyl cover and the passenger side bottom and back vinyl cover.

Old 01-02-2021, 01:33 AM

If the vinyl is cold, more risk of ripping. I use a heat gun to soften the vinyl portions that need stretching no matter what the ambient temperature is in your work area (summer or winter). The pre-heating really does the trick. When the vinyl cools down it shrinks back to the original size; the results are normal looking tight surfaces with no evidence of stretched seams or material. See pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8576.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	557375   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8578.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	557376   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8586.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	557377   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9013.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	557378   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9014.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	557379  

Old 01-02-2021, 01:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Interested to see how Legendary handles this, especially considering the 8 month wait I had to endure for my seat covers.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 01-02-2021, 01:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judges4u View Post
If the vinyl is cold, more risk of ripping. I use a heat gun to soften the vinyl portions that need stretching no matter what the ambient temperature is in your work area (summer or winter). The pre-heating really does the trick. When the vinyl cools down it shrinks back to the original size; the results are normal looking tight surfaces with no evidence of stretched seams or material. See pics
I did use a basic hair dyer but I don't think it gets warm or hot enough.

Old 01-02-2021, 01:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post
Interested to see how Legendary handles this, especially considering the 8 month wait I had to endure for my seat covers.
I'll keep you updated.

Old 01-03-2021, 08:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was working on the passenger side yesterday. Check out this separation at the stitching.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LegendaryFrontSeatsPassenger.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	557448  

Old 01-03-2021, 11:22 AM

I have done only a few interiors, using Legendary Interior kits, but never had any issues like that. Something is definitely defective. But, I did have issues on the listings on the lower front seat bottoms on 71 T/A covers. I contacted Legendary, and sent then back. They took care of the issue promptly. I hate it when I run into an issue on a long weekend when you are counting on getting a lot of work done on your project. It causes way too much stress, and takes the fun out of it.
Any way, Keep us posted. I would be stunned if you do not get a quick reply and resolution from Legendary.
Bob C.

Old 01-03-2021, 05:32 PM
Senior Chief

Did that happen from just rolling the seat cover onto the new foam? Wow, it doesn't look like that vinyl is very durable...

I have a set of Legendary seat covers sitting in boxes right now, I will have to look at them more closely and check the stitching.

Old 01-03-2021, 05:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFCOLEMAN View Post
I have done only a few interiors, using Legendary Interior kits, but never had any issues like that. Something is definitely defective. But, I did have issues on the listings on the lower front seat bottoms on 71 T/A covers. I contacted Legendary, and sent then back. They took care of the issue promptly. I hate it when I run into an issue on a long weekend when you are counting on getting a lot of work done on your project. It causes way too much stress, and takes the fun out of it.
Any way, Keep us posted. I would be stunned if you do not get a quick reply and resolution from Legendary.
Bob C.
I received a reply today (Sunday) from the name "Lacy". Said would send to warranty dept but they are closed tomorrow (Monday).

Yes, this took up much of my limited time. Did Legendary send you replacements?

Old 01-03-2021, 06:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID67goat View Post
Did that happen from just rolling the seat cover onto the new foam? Wow, it doesn't look like that vinyl is very durable...

I have a set of Legendary seat covers sitting in boxes right now, I will have to look at them more closely and check the stitching.
Basically yes. After rolling over the two front corners, I pulled on the lower flaps of the seat to eliminate the wrinkles and getting ready to hog ring them, that's when I noticed the separation at the stitching.

I took someone's advice above and applied light heat with a heat gun to make them more playable.

Old 01-03-2021, 06:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Curious myself since I have a set of front covers on order right now.

Makes me wonder if the long lead time is creating some shortcuts in QC ... or maybe some new people in training.

Old 01-05-2021, 11:13 AM

Yes. Legendary did send replacements after I returned the defective ones. I forget exactly how long it took, but it was fairly quick. They hade to make them. All of their products have a tag sewn in them with a date and persons initials on them.
That's how they can track them. I feel your frustration.
Bob C.

Old 01-05-2021, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

jimi ... check for that tag on your covers and see who made them. Maybe we can spot a trend.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I spoke with Legendary today and will say I don't like where this is going based on my predictions.
Around 12 noon, spoke with Ron and he said to forward him pictures. At 4 PM, no word back so again I called Legendary and transferred to Ron. He said based on what he can see via the pictures, it is an installation problem that caused the separation at the stitching. He said to ship them into Legendary. It's rather obvious where this is going.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd guess if the stitch spacing is right, the thread isn't broken, the thread tension looks good and the seam is not stitched too close to the material edge they are going to call it operator error. Maybe a remote possibility of bad batch of vinyl, but they probably would have notice that during fabrication. A lot can go wrong sewing material like that, dull needles, machine out of time, tension adjustment faulty, stitch count set wrong, wrong thread used etc. Most of these things would be noticed on the first seam sewn.

But again, with the pressure they are under right now to get orders out anything can happen.

Old 01-05-2021, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would have taken them to a trim guy, the Jack of all trades doesn’t work.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 01-05-2021, 07:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I always lay the covers in the sun to warm them up, assuming the area you are in isn't cold. Also cut to fit some portions of black trash bags on the corners/edges of the foam before pulling the seat edges/corners on. Then carefully pull the black trash bag pieces out. It makes getting the covers to slip around the corners much easier on you and the covers.