Old 02-20-2021, 09:19 AM

Default Has anyone restored door panel emblems for 71 LeMans?

mine are worn right down to the metal ,no wood grain left at all. No one seems to make a repop and I don't think I have seen any for sale here on the site.
I have never done wood graining and since this is such a small part it does not seem to be a good idea to buy a kit and waste all the stuff after I am done.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Mark

Old 02-20-2021, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One way to solve would be to substitute '72 LeMans door panel emblems, they are same size & attach the same way. 99% of early 70's Pontiac A body guys wood not even notice. Have owned a TON of '71 & 72 LeMans parts cars & picked on hundreds more in boneyards over the last 35 years. The '71 235 series door panels are not something that seemed have had emblems that held up well.

Old 02-21-2021, 09:12 AM

Thanks!! I have had a few 70 panels here but you all know they are not the same. Maybe I can come a across some 72's before I start that part of the project.

Old 02-28-2021, 12:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This will be an upcoming project on my 67 GTO, I hope this thread gets many responses.

Old 02-28-2021, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have one floating about - will check Monday.

Old 02-28-2021, 01:49 PM

I watched a few You Tube videos over the last few days on this subject. They were doing metal garage doors but I think the principal is similar.
What they did is use a paint for a background and after it dried a bit they went over it with a darker stain which would be the same color as you would want the final color to be. Then took one of those one dollar paint brushes thru the stain to give it a grain look. I would think if you took a very fine steel wool to the raised parts of the emblem you could clean the letters up so they showed thru the graining. Maybe then give it coat of clear to preserve it. A gaining tool was used on a large surface to give it a woodgrain look but I think our emblems are to small to use that large tool. I am going to try it out on a piece of metal just to see if I can duplicate the grain for the door emblems. It may be a few weeks before I get to that, the car stereo is on its way now.

Old 03-02-2021, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

$20 shipped to a US address should be fair. Slight fleck lower right.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lemans emblem.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	561910  

Old 03-03-2021, 11:00 AM

I'll take that scarebird. Sending you a PM

Old 03-03-2021, 11:06 AM

I'll take that scarebird. Sending you a PM