Old 12-10-2002, 07:19 PM

Hi...was wondering what the difference between a '66 Ventura and a '66 Catalina.......sorry, guess my ignorance is showing here. Also, how hard are parts to get for either (given I already know in general that '60s GM parts can't just be picked off the shelf) Thanks.

Old 12-10-2002, 07:19 PM

Hi...was wondering what the difference between a '66 Ventura and a '66 Catalina.......sorry, guess my ignorance is showing here. Also, how hard are parts to get for either (given I already know in general that '60s GM parts can't just be picked off the shelf) Thanks.

Old 12-10-2002, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mechanically the cars are the same. The only major difference was the interior. Basically you got a Bonneville on a Catalina wheelbase. Not quite as snazzy as a Bonneville but pretty close. They also had fender skirts which the Catalinas didn't.

Give me a thumbs up, tell me "Nice Car!", but for god's sake, don't call it an Impala.

Old 12-10-2002, 09:22 PM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

The Catalina Ventura is an option on the Catalina.
It is a appearence package. Consisting of different door pannels, Seat covers and emblems on the body. Not much else!

Usually I'm found working on my Pontiac. If you want to find me Look for the white picket fence and all the old Pontiacs parked outside. And the half dissembled engine sprawled all over the driveway!

Old 12-11-2002, 03:11 AM

hehe I have both a catalina 66 and a ventura 66
always looking for more parts and cars

stig , sweden [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 12-13-2002, 10:40 AM

Thanks for the info folks...mucho appreciated

Old 07-15-2003, 10:11 AM

Hi
I'm brand new here. I am restoring a 66' ventura. I found it very difficult to certain parts for it. Things like suspension and steering linkage. I found most everything I needed through ames performance. As far as the difference between a catalina and a ventura....I was told that the ventura was the canadian version of the catalina.
Which would explain why none of the popular parts suppliers don't list a ventura.

Old 07-15-2003, 08:00 PM
Senior Chief

As Blackcat stated, the Ventura is a Catalina option. It's technically a Catalina Ventura. Sold in the U.S. and not Canada. Canada's version of the Catalina was the Parisianne, I think. The Ventura package was an interior upgrade option. When you are looking for parts, unless they're for the interior, then they will be exactly the same for a Catalina. By the way, I use a '64 Catalina Ventura as my daily driver.

Old 07-17-2003, 02:23 PM
Suspended

So thats what the song California Dreamin means, driving around in a 64 Ventura as a daily driver. If you did that up here the winter salt would turn that car into a swiss cheese Catalina.
Man you got it nice!!!

Old 07-17-2003, 05:15 PM

If I remember correctly, the Canadian equivalent of the Catalina was called the Laurentian. Parisienne was the Canadian version of the Bonneville, and Strato-Chief was the Canadian version of the Star Chief. There is a 1974 Laurentian near my neighborhood, and back in the 1970s, my dad owned a 1963 Strato-Chief 4-door.

Old 07-17-2003, 09:40 PM
Senior Chief

I do love the weather here, but the polotics eat away at me. I'm sure you've heard about our worthless governer... Not to mention that Fremont's Congresional Rep. is Pete Stark But It's worth it to drive my Sweet Catalina everyday! At least once I put the AC back together!

Old 07-20-2003, 06:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Beerwolf66tc is basically correct in saying the Laurentian is the Catalina and Parisienne is the Bonneville equivilent but the Canadians only produced the Catalina sized body.

All styles were run on the one size shell. And even then, don't confuse the Canadian / American cars. They are poles apart in body and mechanical parts.

I've said it before but I'll repeat it again, the 1965 Full size front clip shares only the headlight surronds, the grills and the park lights. NOTHING else is interchangable between the Canadian and American shells. Even the bumpers are light weight compared to the American cars. Look the same but weigh considerably less.

They HAVE to weigh less. The Canadian cars only have a poor little Chevy block to push them along

Experience is that marvellous thing that makes you recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Old 07-22-2003, 07:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll have to remember that when I decide to build a racecar. I'll put a Canadian front clip on my American ride.

Foolproof and Sucka free since 1979.

Old 07-23-2003, 07:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Won't fit Joe without big modifications.

Basically, the Canadian radiator support panel sits on top of the chassis rails whereas the American one hangs from under the chassis rails.

Look at a '65 Chev full size support and that's what was used on the Canadian Pontiacs except they had a sheet of metal welded across the top to fill in the space between the grilles and the support panel.

One day I'll weigh a front guard (fender to you) from my '65 Parisienne and compare it to the weight of my '65 Bonneville guard. I'd say there would be maybe 4 pounds extra weight in the Bonneville guard. I'm told the metal is a lighter gauge. Sure feels like it.

Experience is that marvellous thing that makes you recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Old 07-24-2003, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just goes to show what great things are made when you mix Canadians and Chevrolet...

Foolproof and Sucka free since 1979.