73-77 A-body TECH Includes 73GTO, LeMans, Grand Am, Can Am

Old 12-30-2001, 02:31 PM

has anyone had experience with the parts sold by IN DESIGN ? any comments on fit and finish? i recently purchased a 74 and if i can't find a nice header panel i'll need info on repro parts. any other source referalls are appreciated. mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 12-30-2001, 02:31 PM

has anyone had experience with the parts sold by IN DESIGN ? any comments on fit and finish? i recently purchased a 74 and if i can't find a nice header panel i'll need info on repro parts. any other source referalls are appreciated. mike

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 12-30-2001, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike,
As an aside, I saw a cheap '74-75 GA header panel listed on either SeePee or maybe e-Bay in the last month. It was not priced out there in lalaland like '73 GA noses. Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2002, 03:53 PM

I have heard nothing but good about the noses from Indesign www.grandamparts.com

Good Luck!

-Bryan

Old 01-07-2002, 02:58 PM
Senior Chief

I have seen a '73 fiberglass nose and the fit and look was good. It is almost worth what they charge for those things.

Old 01-11-2002, 01:48 AM

thanks for the replies, i'm leaning more and more towards the glass header panel from indesign.mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 01-12-2002, 11:28 AM
Senior Chief

Thats about the only alternative you have. Good used is almost impossible to find. I sold a complete '73 nose last year that was in nice condition for $350,which was more than I paid for the whole car! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-12-2002, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome to the 75 grnd am . First post eh? Is it cold up there? I just bought the wife a 75 Lemans sport on xmas eve. Not a grand am but close. Hey Rick where can I fnd the rubber front bumper trim for y 75? I ordered a catalog from PY but it hasnt arrived yet I assume the 74 is the same

Old 01-15-2002, 11:40 AM
Senior Chief

1974-mid year 1976 front impact strips are the same and are made out of a heavy vinyl/rubber. GM part no. is 492309. I bought a NOS two month ago for my '77 from a Chevy parts retailer for $75. Its the only one I have located in 5 years of searching.

Old 11-13-2002, 10:05 PM

I am in need of a few parts for my 73 grand am 455. I need the interior sunroof clips the hold on the interior piece. I dont know what they are called. I also need to find the wood panel trim. The nose is my bid problem though, i looked at indesign and its all one piece, i was hoping to find a 3 piece design. Does anyone know where to find it. Also if there are any repair panels out there for fenders and quarters could someone direct me. THanks

Old 11-17-2002, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Only repop sheetmetal I know of is the front floor pans, and the trunk pans.

That fiberglass nose repop is all that's available, either repair what you have, find a better original, or buy the repop.

Sunroofs were a rare option on these cars, no repop parts available, need to look for NOS stuff, or make your own.

Old 11-18-2002, 06:13 AM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian Baker:
Only repop sheetmetal I know of is the front floor pans, and the trunk pans.

That fiberglass nose repop is all that's available, either repair what you have, find a better original, or buy the repop.

Sunroofs were a rare option on these cars, no repop parts available, need to look for NOS stuff, or make your own.

http://kurtspontiac.homestead.com/files/bbaker.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Current repro sheetmetal for the '73-'77 A bodies includes all of the floor pans, a 3 piece trunk pan, the gas tank attaching braces, and some lousy quarter panel repair panels. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] In Design had stopped making the 1973, and the 1974-75 noses, but I believe production has started up again. The quality of the noses was good. Also, In Design was making real wood dash kits for the 1973-74 Grand Ams with the original African Crossfire wood dash inserts, and they were making the lower plastic bucket seat covers.

Old 11-18-2002, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rick, I bought a pair of those patch panels years ago. Absolute junk. They tried to make one panle to work for all years (73-77) and they're not all the same.

Old 11-18-2002, 07:03 PM
Senior Chief

Yes, I agree. There should be a panel made for 1973 only, and another for 1974-77. Also, they need to be die stamped, and not what they are currently, which look like a 5 year old took a hammer to 24 gauge steel. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]