THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-02-2024, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Running compressor out of hibernation?

I have an old craftsman professional oil less compressor, probably 20 years old, that’s been in storage for 15+ years.

Purchased new, only used it maybe 10/20 hours.

Before putting back into service is there anything I should check, oil, grease, adjust, etc before putting 120 volts to it?

Thanks.

Old 02-03-2024, 08:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hopefully the tank was dry when it was put in storage ... I'd definitely tap around on the bottom and listen for bad sounds.

Old 02-03-2024, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The oil less compressors dont need any oil or grease checked, should be able to fire it up & go, but do check the tank as mentioned & loosen the drain fitting to get out any water that might be there and also be sure it works for future draining, should drain the water after each long use or every few uses and for sure if it will be stored again.

One thing that is a good idea to check on these oil less compressors after years of use, or short use but sitting for long periods especially in colder areas that have warm/cold seasons is the head bolts, they can come loose over time & will cause the head gasket to blow out. Had that happen on a campbell hausfield oil less I have, its a cheap quick fix to replace the gasket and easy to pull the cover off & check/torque the head bolts, can also look at the drive belt to be sure its not dried out or cracking.

Besides that these are pretty reliable, loud but reliable.

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2024, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had 2 oilless, both threw pistons, the seal on the piston should be lubed with something it may be frozen on the cyl, it’s a very simple piston, mine had a rubber seal, no rings, there is an air filter that should be changed,

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burd For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2024, 02:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The piston/ring is designed to be oil less, shouldnt need to be lubed with anything.

The ring on mine and others Ive seen was a copper or brass soft metal.

Old 02-03-2024, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After sitting many years, it’s prob dried out. They’re a place by me that repairs compressors and air tools. You should call a place that repairs them and ask, yiu don’t want to throw a piston

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 02-03-2024, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Whats dried out? The piston/ring are already dry.

Old 02-03-2024, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a 60 gallon craftsman really nothing to service but as said I would check tank for rust. The thing I didn’t like about mine was it was so loud.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grandam1979 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2024, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks all….

I saw a video on sears website?? I thought they were gone….

At any rate, it showed how to replace the rubber o-ring gaskets. Compressor, other than being red not the awesome sauce black and gold like mine, looked identical. Mine is a small 29 or 30 something gallon upright.

Motor direct drive to con rod, sealed bearing at big end, not sure what it is at piston. “Head” was some funky looking plate with 5 or 6 holes.

Good call on draining…I hope I had the forethought to drain before putting away. I had put together a brass drain tube with ball valve drain that stood proud of the tank. Original location was a PITA to reach to.

Thx again, hopefully cylinder isn’t all rusted up.

Old 02-05-2024, 03:28 PM

Old rusty tanks can be Really dangerous.

This is an old safety vid posted by a grandson.

https://youtu.be/KVP_A7eGYxw

67 White/Gold GTO 4 speed sold, 1968 GTO 4 speed sold, 1969 GTO auto sold, 68 Firebird 400 4 speed (455) sold, 65 GTO Night Watch Blue 4 speed sold, 64 GTO Nocturne Blue 4 speed sold, 71 GTO Gold auto sold. 1975 Formula 400 auto sold.
Hopefully to be restored, H-"O" Racing 73 Trans Am SD 4 speed,
Sons 70 Formula 400 auto, and wife's 1974 AMX 360 auto, 1975 Jeep Honcho 4x4, 1965 Buick Special post
Old 02-05-2024, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not really to the point but ... I've blown up two of them (Craftsman 60 gal). I'll put it politely and say ... I really didn't like them. Very loud, low duty cycle, poor quality (except the tank which was a pretty nice USA made piece).

When the last one started to go I just let it run till it destroyed itself, and I was smiling while it happened because this time I knew I had the funds to replace it with something nice. It made some beautiful horrifying noises as it died.

Yes they are fine for filling tires, running things like a nail gun or other non-high-flow type tools. Not suitable for painting (except maybe single panels), not good for a blasting cabinet etc. But, they'll last a while used within their limits.