Old 08-23-2011, 08:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine-Ear View Post
Never tried that - Will you get an accurate dwell setting at cranking speed using a dwell meter?
Used to do it that way all the time. Works best if you do it while the plugs are out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61 vent View Post
Today I adjusted the gap to .029 with the feeler gage
.029 gap is too wide. 29 degrees of dwell is just right.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Senior Chief

OK fellas it's alive, I was right with the fuel delivery problem. This morning I went out and pumped it about 4 times, had the wife hit the ignition and while it was cranking I pumped it some more and, she came to life. Later on I filled up the radiator and let it run for about 10 minutes. I started to play with everything then, the power steering works great even with one of the tires flat on the front, I brought up the rpm's for a little bit, and then got a surprise, when the fuel pump started to pump out what nasty gas has been in the tank for 20 years, I have been running an electric fuel pump out of a 1 gallon gas can mounted to the core support with stainless steel wire. It started to spray all over the left bank exhaust. I was afraid of a fire so I shut it down and hosed off all the old fuel. I think the water pump is leaking but, I can now determine what direction we are going to go. I will correctly adjust the dwell, and perform some other tests for general engine condition, but it runs nice and smooth, no knocking or clanking, just a little noisy from the hole in the exhaust header pipe. A soup can and some aluminum aircraft tape should take care of that for a little bit. I selected drive and felt it drop into gear, but with no brakes I immediately went back to neutral. I am very very excited. Thanks to everyone for your assistance with getting the car to run. Andy

Old 08-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61 vent View Post
He is doing great, he did not get the zipper, but good old super glue. It is still amazing to me that on a Monday you can have a triple bypass and on Thursday walk out the door and go home. Thanks for asking.
Glued me back together too. Had triple bypass open heart on a Friday morning and was back at my store on Monday afternoon. Felt great !!
Best to your step father.

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Andy - sounds like your perseverence is paying off !!

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:13 PM
Senior Chief

Now I need to get back onto the topic here and try to get all of my electrical issues worked out, I will start cleaning the grounding wires inside the car, and using the rail zap on everything also.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Such an exciting feeling, isn't it??

Congrats on the progress!

Did you ever post pics of this car? (hint hint)

Old 08-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Senior Chief

yes it feels great. Let me try and get a few pictures up here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Summer 2011 001.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	254329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Summer 2011 008.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	254330  

Old 08-24-2011, 11:07 AM
Senior Chief

The pictures are from when I first brought it home a few months ago, The white stuff on the windows is spray paint, Steve puts the paint on the windows to help protect the interiors from the sun out here. It gets chalky and comes right off.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

VERY Cool...hey, is that you doing the Happy Dance in the background in the image of the DR side??

Old 08-24-2011, 04:32 PM
Senior Chief

No, not me that is my step son. I was doing the happy dance after getting that baby to run. All the rust you see is all surface rust from the paint being burnt off, in the AZ sun.