Old 07-25-2021, 03:12 PM

Default 1966 Pontiac Catalina convertible - formerly owned by a NUN!

`The time has come to let this one go. I've owned it for almost five years, but we're doing a project at the house and I'm out of room and need it gone.

I bought this from an attorney who restores high end cars that aren't so much for driving, so when an attorney friend called to advise that he was disposing of the estate of a retired nun and this was in the garage, he grabbed it as a driver. Really cool history to go along with it - two vintage key chains (one of them listed as being made in Siam), blessed mother statue that magnetizes to the dash, Patron Saint of Travel medallion for the glove compartment to keep you safe, 1966 Kleenex box in the glove compartment, several photos and receipts from about 1974 into the 1980's. It has what appears to be 65,xxx original miles.

This car is a driver. It seems to fit nicely into that category between basket case that needs restored and $25K plus car. You can drive it while doing what you want to sport it up. It doesn't look as good as it does in the pics, but it looks like a 50+ year old driver that generates thumbs up and conversations wherever it goes.

What it is / what I've done / the good:
  • Base Catalina convertible, 389 2bbl, auto, power top
  • Body is very solid, a few smaaaallllll bubbles forming here and there, but nothing that can't be stopped fairly easily
  • Last guy put new radial tires on it, which probably have 8,000 miles on them
  • I installed the COMPLETELY RESTORED 8 lug wheels from J&G relining out of McHenry IL. They maybe have 500 miles on them. Drums were relined, painted, shoes were arced to fit the drums, rims were powder coated, I have the trim rings but personally like the look without. Bit of a pulsation, but I'm it's a torque issue not a drum issue. Working to solve that. That's $2,000+ if you called and bought a set.
  • Radiator got a new core within the last 1,000 miles
  • I installed a Retro Sound stereo and speakers. The Reverb box is still in the trunk but no longer relevant. I have the old radio that can go along with it. When the OEM radio is removed, there's a small horizontal chrome bar that prevents a Retro Sound radio from being an option for the Catalina. A quick Dremel removal of that, and any Retro Sound fits using a vintage Porsche adapter bezel. I know some will scream heresy, but this is not a show car. The working Bluetooth radio with XM capabilities is a great upgrade.
  • Steering wheel has ZERO cracks in the clear lucite (or whatever that material is)
  • Dash has no splits or cracks. Doors close solidly.
  • Engine is the 10.5/1 compression model. Same cam and 092 heads as a 325 horse 4v engine, just with a 2v rated at 290 hp. Add the tri-power I'm including and you'll have a great upgrade.

What it needs / the work to be done:
  • Seats will need to be recovered.
  • Paint is fine, but body touch-up and repaint will likely need to be done down the road. There's a spot on the fender that looks like someone spilled brake fluid on it, but as someone pointed out, it almost looks like that only ate through a clear coat layer, not the paint. They specuated that this had the aftermarket clear applied that was popular back in the 60's/70's. I think a buff job by someone who has confidnece in doing that would make it look 10x better, but I don't have that confidnece. I've rubbed on one small spot with a fingertip and get it to look much better just by donig that, so I think someone with skill could really make what's there look better.
  • The top is in good-ish condition. It has no holes in the main part of the top. The only damage is where the thin panel that runs under the glass back window attaches to the main part of the top. It's torn right there. Since those are small, inconspicuous areas one might be able to try to patch that? Or replace the top down the road if you want.
  • Small rock chick in the windshield.
  • Some of the weatherstripping is shot

I AM INCLUDING a 1966 tri-power that came off of a running engine about two years ago. It clearly has had some incorrect parts applied at some point, but it's all there and working. If you want it restored, the guys in Chicago can do it thoroughly, or you can order the few parts you need and sport it up yourself.

I AM INCLUDING a spare set of good 8 lug wheels, including rims, and drums that have plenty of meat on them. I can get 800-1000 for that set if you don't want them.

Asking $12,000. Car is located in metro Detroit. Happy to have people come out and see it or send an inspector to look at it for you.

Old 07-25-2021, 04:10 PM

Trying to link to an album and it's not working. How did I get old and lose the ability to work simple technology tasks overnight?? Stay tuned. More to come.

Last edited by johnny_flapjack; 07-25-2021 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-25-2021, 04:33 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-26-2021, 11:38 AM

Need pics of trunk and underneath rear seat and lower rear wheel wells. Block code, casting nunber and productiin date from distributor area. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-28-2021, 04:01 PM

SOLD!

Old 07-28-2021, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To a priest? A holy roller!

Old 08-10-2021, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That sister had some nice taste in cars.