Old 08-04-2021, 03:47 PM

Default 68 Catalina 2 dr HT, mine, value?

Hi there, I have too many Pontiac's, I'm thinking about selling my 68 and I really don't know how much to ask for it, it has a good running quadrajet 400 with #62 heads and dual exhaust. 10 years ago I rebuilt a 4-bbl 400, rebuilt the TH400, added front disc brakes, rebuilt the rear axle with a 2.73 posi unit from a Grand Prix, refreshed the seat covers and headliner, new wheels and tires, and had the bumpers re-chromed. I still have the original 400-2-bbl in the shed (ran good) and that can go with it.

I drove it a lot in the summers for about 5 years, it ran and drove great. I took it on a few road trips and it gets 15mpg. The last 5 years it has sat a lot, and I have not driven it in the last 2 years (in a garage in West Michigan where my parents live).

Roughly 140,000 miles. Body and paint are original (although some of the body has been repainted, no metalwork) and are driver quality, rust in the hood up by the cowl, and one rear wheelwell is bubbling in a few dime-sized areas. It has several nagging little issues like older cars do, for example I replaced all the window weatherstriping, including the vent windows, then 3 years later the reproduction vent window seal is already cracking and making noise.

I love it but I'd like to thin the herd. What do you think is a fair selling price?

thanks,
Jeremy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0925.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	570821  

Old 08-04-2021, 08:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you're going to list it here then around $8-10K. But if you're going to Facebook do $15-20K and then all the keyboard jockeys with no money will tell you exactly what it's worth lol.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default catalina

id like to see more of it

Old 08-05-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 Pontiac View Post
If you're going to list it here then around $8-10K. But if you're going to Facebook do $15-20K and then all the keyboard jockeys with no money will tell you exactly what it's worth lol.
Thank you. I appreciate it. I hear you about the book of faces, it's all wacko lately, and Craigslist has much less content than a few years ago.

Old 08-05-2021, 07:27 AM

Here's a youtube video from back in the day. Even with the 2.73's, it really roasts the tires. Passing gear is fun, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbunjS6BZ-8

Old 08-05-2021, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 Pontiac View Post
While I agree that these are the correct asking prices, I am not certain that you'd necessarily get it right away. There's a lot of difficulty in trying to sell big cars compared to the stupid money GTOs and F-bodies get. Lot of people are holding on to money and not buying non-investment-type cars.

It's a great looking car though and I'd drive it!

The Following User Says Thank You to Ben M. For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What do you think that it is worth or what would you want for it?

Old 08-09-2021, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
What do you think that it is worth or what would you want for it?
I'd be happy with $8k, I'm toying with the idea of putting the original 400 2-barrel back in (it ran fabulous) and sell for a bit cheaper. The 400 rebuild was $5k on its own, by the time you count in the Cliff-built quadrajet and all the little things.

Old 08-09-2021, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesmobile View Post
I'd be happy with $8k, I'm toying with the idea of putting the original 400 2-barrel back in (it ran fabulous) and sell for a bit cheaper. The 400 rebuild was $5k on its own, by the time you count in the Cliff-built quadrajet and all the little things.
That sounds fair to me.

Old 08-15-2021, 09:14 PM

Agreed with the estimates here… I have my 69 Executive (also 2D HT) insured for $10k but I always figured for the $6-7k I might get… I’d rather keep it. Mine’s in good original shape with only 69k miles but has had much less work than yours.

On a side note, is that the factory color? Someday I’d like to have mine painted if I keep it long term, and something different than the original Chanpagne. The 52yo paint is definitely showing its age. Mine has a vinyl top top that I’d have redone at the same time.