Old 01-18-2014, 04:07 PM

Default 8.5 differential safe t track

OK guys need some expert advice
I was trying to to remove the bolt that locks the pinon shaft in place on the safe t track carrier
The bolt came right out but the extended part of the bolt and maybe a thread or two stayed in place, broke off and is keeping the pinion shaft locked as well can't remove clips, axles etc to try and remove carrier from rear axle housing in order to work on it
Any suggestion?

Thanks

64 GTO 389 Tri Power 4spd Nocturne Blue Poly
70 GTO 400 4spd Palladium Silver
70 GP 400/4 spd triple Black
71 T/A 455 4spd Cameo White
01 T/A Bright Red 4L60E Ram Air WS6
02 TA Navy Blue Metalic 6 spd Ram Air WS6
Old 01-18-2014, 06:50 PM

Well I was able to get it out by placing a small drill bit into my angle die grinder drilling a small pilot hole and using a small bolt extractor(ez out) there was one thread left where it broke from the main bolt and the locking shaft.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 428GTO70

This is very common on those carriers. I used to pull them from the junkyard a lot to resell on ebay. almost half the time they would be broken, im assuming from the weight of the pin pushing on it all the time. They usually can be spun out pretty easily often times with just a pick. Grats on getting it out somewhat easily

1970 GTO 458 CID .040 over 4 Bolt 428 Block, Forged Eagle 455 Crank, 295 CFM SD KRE D-Ports, SD Old Faithful HR Cam + Comp HR Lifters, PPR Maxx-lite rods, Racetec pistons, PRW 1.65 SS Rockers, 900CFM Holley HP TBI, Performer RPM, Hooker Super Comps, 3" X-Pipe into 2.5" mufflers/tailpipes, 2.75 1st TH400, Continental 13" Converter, 8.5" 3.08 Posi.
Everything installed, fired up and tuning has begun!
The Following User Says Thank You to 428GTO70 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2014, 02:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In the 90's used to purposely break the pin bolts off in Pick-N-Pulls. Even though rears were so cheap to buy in the pick-n-pulls, I was always trying to yank an 8.5 posi here & throw it in a desirable housing, then roll it out in a wheel barrow...last thing I needed was another 2nd Gen housing. Loaded up on a ton of 8.5 A-body & 12 bolt Malibu-Monte rears that way.

In several such yards would always keep an eye on the back lot, & what was about to be set. Three different Pick-N-Pulls & half a dozen different crusher yards was friends with managers & owners & each would often give me a call esp if an interesting Pontiac had come in. On quite a few occasions was able to buy each w/o the car being processed. One of my favorite Pick-N-Pulls, they would pull GM cars on Monday & set on Tuesday... could set your watch by it, was so easy to knock a car out.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428GTO70 View Post
This is very common on those carriers. I used to pull them from the junkyard a lot to resell on ebay. almost half the time they would be broken, im assuming from the weight of the pin pushing on it all the time. They usually can be spun out pretty easily often times with just a pick. Grats on getting it out somewhat easily
I did that too early on trying to get my business going - hard way to make a buck. I would give the carrier a couple of smacks with a single-jack; seemed to loosen the pin bolt so it did not snap in the carrier when removing.

OPH - why would you break them on purpose?

Old 01-19-2014, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 428GTO70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
I did that too early on trying to get my business going - hard way to make a buck. I would give the carrier a couple of smacks with a single-jack; seemed to loosen the pin bolt so it did not snap in the carrier when removing.

Well you can get them out fairly quickly, I just couldn't stand leaving them there especially when they were only I think 26 bucks. They have raised the price of them nowadays to the same price as the entire rear end so its not as desirable at 66 bucks. Still a good deal if you need it but not as profitable to resell.

1970 GTO 458 CID .040 over 4 Bolt 428 Block, Forged Eagle 455 Crank, 295 CFM SD KRE D-Ports, SD Old Faithful HR Cam + Comp HR Lifters, PPR Maxx-lite rods, Racetec pistons, PRW 1.65 SS Rockers, 900CFM Holley HP TBI, Performer RPM, Hooker Super Comps, 3" X-Pipe into 2.5" mufflers/tailpipes, 2.75 1st TH400, Continental 13" Converter, 8.5" 3.08 Posi.
Everything installed, fired up and tuning has begun!
Old 01-19-2014, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post

Before removing a pin bolt I too have always rapped the carrier around the bolt area with a ball peen. It works unless the pin bolt is already broken.

Scarebird, on breaking the pin bolts, did it many times on 8.5 S spring posi carriers in high ratio F-body rears, esp if knew an 8.5 A-body was going to be set later in the day or the next day. Have also whacked the threads on the bottom of the ubolts holding the rear to the leafsprings. It wasn't for several years before guys I was beating out learned what the pin bolt extractor kits were.
In the early days, was always pulling what appeared to be nice 8.5 3.42's, 3.73's, 3.23's. Many times would tear down peg-leg A-body 8.5 rear, chunk the 2.73's, throw a freshly pulled 3.23-3.73 pinion in it from a donor along with the harvested posi from another donor along with & the 3.23-3.73's ring gear. Called it the "Triple BINGO". Roll out the door for $35-50. Eventually, got away from using used ring & pinions out of trucks, too many were howlers. Have never sold an S spring carrier, all have rebuilt & used in rearend builds, then sold the entire rearend. With the replacement clutches, so expensive, have found it really makes little sense to build with the 8.5 S springs posi's anymore

Old 01-19-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428GTO70 View Post
428 thanks for the info.
I assumed it must have been somewhat common
Due to Dorman offering a replacement which I ordered from Advance

Old 01-19-2014, 11:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
...Scarebird, on breaking the pin bolts, did it many times on 8.5 S spring posi carriers in high ratio F-body rears, esp if knew an 8.5 A-body was going to be set later in the day or the next day. Have also whacked the threads on the bottom of the ubolts holding the rear to the leafsprings. It wasn't for several years before guys I was beating out learned what the pin bolt extractor kits were...
That is pretty ugly

To me it is on par with finding a nice set of rims and hiding one, so nobody will buy the set - then not coming back to buy it and they get crushed.

I hope you don't do that kinda crap anymore.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Scarebird, running the monster Pick-N-Pulls was very serious for a group of us through the late 80's & throughout the 90's as numerous crews, a few traveling pro's, & the average Joe all competed for what I considered a spectrum of retail & specialty core parts. This is before the front wheel drive junk took over such yards & made it near futile to find '60-through early 80's good GM's in such high volume yards. In many respects in the Pick-N-Pulls in the 90's, it was was often like the Wild West & the more resourceful & willing to travel one was, the better the results. On the carriers, I wasn't playing flip this posi in the paper or on the first internet bulletin boards. If a competitor or casual Joe didn't know how to get the pin bolt out of a carrier, well, chances are, he failed. I guess the casual Joe's could try & pull the whole leaf spring rear with the springs attached , others would pass. On the broken pin bolt deal, a buddy & I used that trick quite a few times on #9 carriers in the early 90's, till competitors caught up & figured out what a Matco extractor kit was. Once I had one of the racks full of late '70's 3.23 & 3.42 factory posi coded '77-79 Bird housings along with a small pile of extra Bird housings to build off of, there was no reason to drag home complete 2nd Gen 8.5 rears and pile up what amounted to a huge pile of 2.41 -3.08 posi coded chunker housings. On #8 posi carriers, there were occasional times during rebuilding would run into spalled side gears & as a result in Pick-N-Pulls, we'd gut the side gears, clutches, shims & spiders out of the #9's. If the rebuildable posi carriers & desirable housings were out there in numbers like they were 20 years ago, & the clutch kits were still cheap, nothing would be different, other than the higher priced core to buy out of such yards.

As far as pulling & hiding one wheel/tire, to keep someone from buying a set, lol, that's not me. If they were something I routinely bought, would have bought the whole set, & if only a few were there, would have bought them too. Get em out of there & get 'em loaded up, leaving the occasional pullers to wonder what wheels were on that T/A- '70 Cutlass-442, etc. On a few occasions in the DFW Pick-n-pulls, can remember T/A's w 15x8 snowflakes, & SS1 equipped '70-72 Cutlasses being set on the pee gravel in the breezeway rows, but not up on the wheel stands. Its mid day & such cars weren't going to be set till some time the next day. Trying to get the yard help in the afternoon to lift such cars was futile, they were busy elsewhere pulling rows. Getting the wheels off meant sliding loose tires & wheels under the frames, getting them in there tight, removing the lugnuts, then using a tire iron to dig an area adjacent to tire. Finish by letting the air out of the tires & pulling the tire and wheel sideways. That process worked real well, esp after pulling the fenders, tilt, seatbelts, trinkets, etc... good couple hours of work.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107063

Here you go several ways.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
The Following User Says Thank You to Skip Fix For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post