Old 10-14-2015, 04:48 PM
Senior Chief

Default 69 Firebird 400 Hood Ram Air setup questions

I've gotten the 69 out of the shop, electrical issues fixed, gauges read properly and the turn signals now work, passed the mechanical inspection, and I'm finally dialed in to go register the car in California.

On a previous thread I debated the Trans Am hood/Ram Air package, and after receiving the car I've decided I'm going to just keep the standard 400 dual scoop hood, but add the functional Ram Air kit to it and the TA spoiler, then get it repainted.

But I need to know what RA setup works. There are two for 69 Firebirds, one for the Ram Air III motor, one for the RA IV. I'm figuring since the RA III motors had 62 heads, which I also have, so it's likely that setup.

Has anyone on the PY forum added functional Ram Air to their Bird from places like Ames, Firebird Central, The Parts Place or Classic Industries? They all offer something similar, but some are a little light on the descriptions to make a buying decision.

The most descriptive is the one from The Parts Place, but I'm looking to see if they're the best choice out there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Pontiac...7807bd&vxp=mtr

If anyone has done this before, please PM, email or respond to this thread as I'd like to get this going.

Thanks much!

Jim
ScumOne

Old 10-15-2015, 11:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Please do not buy from this guys, very dishonest. I have purchased couple items from them, low quality. Why not try 1968 firebird ram air II system?

Old 10-16-2015, 12:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69FIREBIRD76MM View Post
Please do not buy from this guys, very dishonest. I have purchased couple items from them, low quality. Why not try 1968 firebird ram air II system?
X2. I would only buy that setup if I had a real ram air car. It's too pricey and it don't work well in my opinion. The 68 setup is alot less and gets the air right to the carb. That's your best bet

Old 10-16-2015, 12:54 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69FIREBIRD76MM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram4king View Post
X2. I would only buy that setup if I had a real ram air car. It's too pricey and it don't work well in my opinion. The 68 setup is alot less and gets the air right to the carb. That's your best bet
In looking at the 67/68 setup, it looks like it doesn't have any restrictions for water coming in through the scoops (as in no flapper valve, cable operated to close, etc) to the air cleaner, correct?

Isn't that why Pontiac changed it to the 69 version so buyers didn't gripe about that?

Would I knowingly take the Bird out on a rainy day? No. But I went to the local Pontiac meeting Wednesday night with my wife, and I'll be damned if we didn't get caught in a sudden So Cal (rare) downpour. It lasted for 9 of the 14 miles back to our house.

If I had the 67/68 RA system, wouldn't that have gotten rain into the air cleaner and the carb? It looks like there's nothing to stop the water from getting in.

Or have I missed something in that setup?

http://www.classicindustries.com/pro.../a8700137.html

Old 10-16-2015, 05:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just carry two sponges that you can squeeze into the scoop openings in case you get caught in rain.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The 69 setup is a nice reproduction and fairly complete although you will need to get the correct hardware from somebody like Inline Tube.

For the record, I'm not a fan of The Parts Place either.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 10-16-2015, 07:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When you close those flappers water is still getting in no matter what you do.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

dude, you do realize people/professional mechanics, actually poured water down the carb with the engine running to clean carbon deposits, back inthe 60s and 70s, the procedure is actually in gm and chilton service manuals from back then, NO WORRIES

Old 10-16-2015, 11:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtanner View Post
dude, you do realize people/professional mechanics, actually poured water down the carb with the engine running to clean carbon deposits, back inthe 60s and 70s, the procedure is actually in gm and chilton service manuals from back then, NO WORRIES
The concern is actually if you get the paper filter element saturated it will choke off the carb.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 10-16-2015, 11:29 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
The concern is actually if you get the paper filter element saturated it will choke off the carb.
Yeah, that's what my concern was. I think a nice dual snorkel air cleaner just became the most logical solution with the least amount of issues.

Ok, nix the TA hood and parts, nix the 400 RA setup...just get a TA Spoiler, RARE long branch exhaust manifolds, pipes, repaint the car and call it good.

Thanks for everyone's input, and helping me make a decision!

Jim
ScumOne