Old 04-22-2019, 10:23 AM
Senior Chief

Default I love my 69 Firebird, but sometimes getting parts is a real PITA!

Ok yeah, I love the 69 Firebird, one year only, figured it would have some unique parts...but some just kill me...such as...

Glove Lock Box Escutcheon (Bezel to hold in lock cylinder)...one year only. Got two different ones, neither fit, had to cut threads in the original lock cylinder to make it fit the new replacements. WTF.

Speedometer cable for TH400 with aftermarket (Classic Ind) TA Rally Gauge Dash. It's the standard cable, not the screw in. The problem is there are about six different ones, all different lengths. I had one made at Speedo Check in Whittier at 69" long, just guessing what it should be since 61" was the standard. Got it installed it, no problem. If I'd checked Ames Perf site first I really would have been lost, they have them from 61" to 73".

Engine Oil dipstick and tube. I've got the wrong one. Check the parts sites.

Sheesh, factory AC is a problem. They aren't available, they have two different tubes, with or without windage tray in oil pan, and apparently an early 69 and a late 69.

TH400 Tranny tube and dipstick, early and late 69 versions. Aftermarket Lokar is crap, generic don't fit right (so I'm told). Going to A1 Transmission in Buena Park, CA this morning. Ken Brown says he has both.

The car is coming together, slowly, but sheesh...Pontiac had a lot of minor variations in stuff.

Maybe that's why I love them....until I need parts. LOL

JIm S

Old 04-22-2019, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumOne View Post
Ok yeah, I love the 69 Firebird, one year only, figured it would have some unique parts...but some just kill me...such as...

Glove Lock Box Escutcheon (Bezel to hold in lock cylinder)...one year only. Got two different ones, neither fit, had to cut threads in the original lock cylinder to make it fit the new replacements. WTF.

Speedometer cable for TH400 with aftermarket (Classic Ind) TA Rally Gauge Dash. It's the standard cable, not the screw in. The problem is there are about six different ones, all different lengths. I had one made at Speedo Check in Whittier at 69" long, just guessing what it should be since 61" was the standard. Got it installed it, no problem. If I'd checked Ames Perf site first I really would have been lost, they have them from 61" to 73".

Engine Oil dipstick and tube. I've got the wrong one. Check the parts sites.

Sheesh, factory AC is a problem. They aren't available, they have two different tubes, with or without windage tray in oil pan, and apparently an early 69 and a late 69.

TH400 Tranny tube and dipstick, early and late 69 versions. Aftermarket Lokar is crap, generic don't fit right (so I'm told). Going to A1 Transmission in Buena Park, CA this morning. Ken Brown says he has both.

The car is coming together, slowly, but sheesh...Pontiac had a lot of minor variations in stuff.

Maybe that's why I love them....until I need parts. LOL

JIm S
I hear that. My '69 has cruise and sourcing the cables for that was a real pain. It's got just about every option offered in '69. The resto took me 6 years!
It's the variations that make these cars the best.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:40 AM
Senior Chief

We had to like the one year only car, right TAQuest? LOL

Old 04-22-2019, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
We had to like the one year only car, right TAQuest? LOL
I have a few old cars but my 69 400 vert is the king of the roost. Always was and will be. When I used to race it was always a '69 coupe. A '67 is almost as good though. LOL

Old 04-22-2019, 10:50 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAQuest View Post
I have a few old cars but my 69 400 vert is the king of the roost. Always was and will be. When I used to race it was always a '69 coupe. A '67 is almost as good though. LOL
The 69 is my oldest. It gets the most nods, thumbs up, smiles and "Wow" comments, with the 98 TA Convertible coming in second. I've got two nice C5 Corvettes, but the Pontiacs are what all the drivers gawk at the most.

We're taking them to the Seal Beach Classic Car Show this weekend, parking them side by side. I imagine they'll get their fare share of attention.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The 69 is my oldest. It gets the most nods, thumbs up, smiles and "Wow" comments, with the 98 TA Convertible coming in second. I've got two nice C5 Corvettes, but the Pontiacs are what all the drivers gawk at the most.

We're taking them to the Seal Beach Classic Car Show this weekend, parking them side by side. I imagine they'll get their fare share of attention.
Hope you get great weather.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just dont park it next to the 69 T/A!Tom

Old 04-22-2019, 11:53 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Just dont park it next to the 69 T/A!Tom
I will do my best not to park my inferior 69 anywhere near your gem, sir! LOL

Old 04-22-2019, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not mine!The clone wont be there.Dougs real T/A will be there!Tom

Old 04-22-2019, 12:05 PM
Senior Chief

I'll do my best not to park next to him, too! LOL

Old 04-22-2019, 01:21 PM

I just wish the companies making the repro parts would spend the time making them fit!
The replacement windshield header moldings on the convertible are far from perfect.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I prefer the '69s, but I went with a '68 for just that reason. Got tired of cars that were hard to find parts for. :-)

Old 04-23-2019, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I will do my best not to park my inferior 69 anywhere near your gem, sir! LOL
Funny! At the Pontiac Heaven events over the years I would always try to get a photo op with my primered up POS's next to a beautiful 69 T/A. It just goes to show that we all swim in the same pool even though we may play at different ends of it. ;-)

Old 04-23-2019, 04:14 PM
Senior Chief

Come on in, the water is warm...lol! Part catalogs go like this: "...67, 68 & 70 and up...".

'69 Firebird 400 - Goldenrod Yellow, 455 +.060, '6s-7' heads, Comp Cam 276AH-10 (51-309-4), TH400, Ford 9-inch w/3.08, 800cfm Q-jet, Stock Intake, Hooker Headers, Flowmasters
'68 Coronet 500 Convertible - Medium Gold Metallic, stock 318 +100,000 miles