Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 03:31 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
When you raised the RPM and it burnt the plugs again.

Did anyone read the plugs? Or are you just assuming it is the fuel system.

Have you or anyone that can help you ever run a mechanical fuel injection system?

I believe they have systems today you can add to make them one person start. It sure was not that way back in the 70's when I help a friend tune a N/A Hilborne injected 426 Hemi.

Stan

PS Also with as many runs as you have made burning plugs. Have you done a leak down test on those cylinders?
So when i melted the 2 front plugs the last time i did not have any one read them (on Friday my buddy was looking at my plugs), kinda pressed for time (2nd time run was coming up)....so i just replaced the plugs and lowered the shift point back to where it was the night before.
I do have a couple of buddies including KRE that would help me with the Fuel injection.
No leak down test I did do a compression test before norwalk (it came out ok).

GTO George

Old 08-03-2021, 03:32 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
I always new i was limited with my fuel system. first i need to find out what my fuel pump is doing, except for the heads every thing is the same and the heads are basically the same as old heads just a little better composition chamber. ive run 8.0's all day long at 6,800 rpm before without melting plugs with this set up....you need to listen better! Go back to watching tv in your chair old man! LOL!
..........and i still made the KRE Quick 16 finals!!!

GTO George
Congrats on taking runner up in the Quick 16 Race.

When you get old you play it safe. In your case, letting the other guy get by you at the finish line. The second place money would have been exactly the same if you had gone for it. So now you start an argument again.

Not getting into that with you. So you got $500, you could have gotten more with a different decision. That is a fact.

Sleep well George, you did the best YOU could at Norwalk.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:55 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Congrats on taking runner up in the Quick 16 Race.

When you get old you play it safe. In your case, letting the other guy get by you at the finish line. The second place money would have been exactly the same if you had gone for it. So now you start an argument again.

Not getting into that with you. So you got $500, you could have gotten more with a different decision. That is a fact.

Sleep well George, you did the best YOU could at Norwalk.

Tom V.
I played it safe at the starting line (didnt try to kill the tree...I hate red lighting), other then that i just made a split second decision. The car hooked pretty good and it was running top end great (i was running down everyone....except for Frank he really messed up and i did have too). I made a split second decision not the right one his front and was longer then i new. Actually i had no idea who or what i was racing, i was strapped in and he was behind me and i never saw what he had until i started tuning him down but you know what im talking about you being a drag racing and everything.

GTO George

Old 08-03-2021, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

George,
Congratulations on your success at Norwalk! Now, you just need to get your car up to the same level.

I start my engine with a little quirt of alcohol (from my crew chief, Ellen) for the first start of the day. After that, it's a one-person operation.

As far as mechanical injection is concerned, I will be happy to share anything I've learned. FWIW, my fuel system pumps so much fuel, I bypass approximately half of it back to the fuel cell, depending on the weather and my tune. No shortages!

Jim

Quote:
So basically im looking into another blower intake for my car (anyone have one)? I plan to do some kind of upgrade in the fuel department (i have no idea). It wont be easy because i run Nostalgia races.........they don't allow electronic fuel injection........soooo! I also need it to start without a second person...its a Bracket car!

GTO George

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

The Following User Says Thank You to twooldgoats For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2021, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats on your RU in the quick 16 George!

Some people race and some old people tell them why they’re doing it all wrong.

Jealousy. It’s a funny thing.

Old 08-04-2021, 01:03 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
... I also need it to start without a second person...
I've been one-person starting my alky engines (blown & unblown) since 1985. A built-in gas primer system is simple to conceive and build. Too bad you didn't glance at the system on my lakester.

As for the blower manifold- have you looked hard at all possible locations for port nozzles (underneath, etc.)? For access to them the individual pills could be plumbed in somewhere other than at the nozzles.

Last edited by Jack Gifford; 08-04-2021 at 01:11 AM.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:15 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
I've been one-person starting my alky engines (blown & unblown) since 1985. A built-in gas primer system is simple to conceive and build. Too bad you didn't glance at the system on my lakester.

As for the blower manifold- have you looked hard at all possible locations for port nozzles (underneath, etc.)? For access to them the individual pills could be plumbed in somewhere other than at the nozzles.
I was tossing the idea around about adding a primer to start the engine (great minds think alike)!
I need to get a different manifold the BDS is just too low and wont allow for port fuel injection (i don't like nozzles under the intake).
Thanks!

GTO George

Old 08-04-2021, 01:37 PM
Suspended

Quote:
When you raised the RPM and it burnt the plugs again.

Did anyone read the plugs? Or are you just assuming it is the fuel system.

Have you or anyone that can help you ever run a mechanical fuel injection system?

I believe they have systems today you can add to make them one person start. It sure was not that way back in the 70's when I help a friend tune a N/A Hilborne injected 426 Hemi.

Stan

PS Also with as many runs as you have made burning plugs. Have you done a leak down test on those cylinders?
Looking back I’m not sure that pulling timing out to stop the front plugs from melting doesn’t have something to do with the fuel.

GTO George

Old 08-04-2021, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

George,
Given your good relationship with KRE. Why haven't you called Jeff and ask him if there were any changes between your old heads and these new heads which would require a timing change?

Also what problem do you have with installing the nozzles under the intake?

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 08-04-2021, 03:14 PM
Suspended

Quote:
George,
Given your good relationship with KRE. Why haven't you called Jeff and ask him if there were any changes between your old heads and these new heads which would require a timing change?

Also what problem do you have with installing the nozzles under the intake?

Stan
That probably would have been the smart thing to do but i didnt, i got the heads home and the next day they were on the car.....i had to get ready for a race the next weekend so i was kinda busy and then the pontiac race was next shortly after and i had my wife car to get ready for a Cruise and my Motorhome needed attention.....busy, busy, busy!
i would like to have access to the nozzles without removing the intake for tuning.
I basically know nothing about mechanical fuel injection......so ill be learning on the fly!

GTO George

Old 08-04-2021, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

George,
Maybe Jim or someone who has done this in the last 40 years can jump in. But that I can remember once we got the nozzle size we needed, then after that all of the tuning was done with the bypass which was located in an easy to get to location.

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 08-04-2021, 03:26 PM
Suspended

Quote:
George,
Maybe Jim or someone who has done this in the last 40 years can jump in. But that I can remember once we got the nozzle size we needed, then after that all of the tuning was done with the bypass which was located in an easy to get to location.

Stan
I have a friend and he seems to be changing that stuff all the time....i don't know, trying to learn. I just emailed a place about Rons Toilets just to se what they say.

GTO George

Old 08-04-2021, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hardly ever changed the nozzles once I got them where they should be.
The main pill is the one you will be changing if ever. (not sure with a blower)
I hardly ever changed the pill except when going to a different altitude track or the weather was way out of normal (early spring/winter - freezing or 100 deg day then not usually)

Can't think of his name right now, but he is around Indy or Terre Haute dragstrip usually for the Toilet info. (Monroe maybe?)
He can tell you everything you need.
I never used anyone, just lot of tuning but didn't take long. Especially if you have ballpark numbers.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 08-04-2021, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Once I got the hat nozzles set, I never have changed them--they're a little hard to get to. The port nozzles take a little doing to balance the cylinders and keep consistent EGT's on all cylinders. Again, after getting those set, they only change if the density altitude changes by a lot. Out here in the west the track elevation differences require changes. Tucson is at 3075' altitude and Phoenix, IIRC, is about 1400'. Therefore, different sets of port nozzles. Day to day or hourly tuning requires only a bypass change.

It's also important to keep the fuel pressure constant, so that complicates things a little (changing nozzles and jets changes fuel pressure). I use an app that keeps track of all of it and spits out a bypass size, based on density altitude.

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Old 08-05-2021, 01:26 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
... port nozzles (underneath, etc.)? For access to them the individual pills could be plumbed in somewhere other than at the nozzles.
Hello? Hello? Is anyone listening?

The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Gifford For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 11:34 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
I hardly ever changed the nozzles once I got them where they should be.
The main pill is the one you will be changing if ever. (not sure with a blower)
I hardly ever changed the pill except when going to a different altitude track or the weather was way out of normal (early spring/winter - freezing or 100 deg day then not usually)

Can't think of his name right now, but he is around Indy or Terre Haute dragstrip usually for the Toilet info. (Monroe maybe?)
He can tell you everything you need.
I never used anyone, just lot of tuning but didn't take long. Especially if you have ballpark numbers.

Ive email them with no response so far.

GTO George

Old 08-06-2021, 12:40 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

I've got an Edelbrock blower manifold (B20?) for early heads ('55-'60) that's already drilled/tapped 1/8 NPT for 8 individual port nozzles (topside!). It looks like plenty of material to allow porting to match your heads' port sizes. Then you'd just need to figure out how to deal with coolant (I ran dry block, no coolant). I've also got a water manifold cut from the front of tunnel ram, if that might help. These pieces are presently available.

Old 08-06-2021, 09:23 AM
Suspended

Quote:
I've got an Edelbrock blower manifold (B20?) for early heads ('55-'60) that's already drilled/tapped 1/8 NPT for 8 individual port nozzles (topside!). It looks like plenty of material to allow porting to match your heads' port sizes. Then you'd just need to figure out how to deal with coolant (I ran dry block, no coolant). I've also got a water manifold cut from the front of tunnel ram, if that might help. These pieces are presently available.
Pics please Jack.

GTO George

Old 08-06-2021, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There you go, George.

Jim

Quote:
........ These pieces are presently available.

7.75 @ 178 pass:

Old 08-07-2021, 12:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

I guess I'll have to break down and take pics of my BDS manifold this weekend to show George that yes, you can have port nozzles in such an intake and have room for even a 14-71 on top without need of a spacer.