Old 12-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Cheap hei caps ?

I have an new hei cap with loose terminals. I can't tell if it took a hit or if it's just low quality. I am assuming it's junk and they should not be loose.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:36 AM

Default Bad cap

They should not be loose, I would get a different one. Just one opinion!

Old 12-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to pontiac 455ho

i agree they should be tight. i went with a pertronix cap. or accel is also good. and brass is aslo better to

Old 12-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Seems like everything is made off shore...When you call or go to a parts store ask for options of quality...
The Standard Motor Products brand of parts is very good, their "Blue Streak" line is their best. BUT the price is not cheap!!! All the AC Delco stuff, used to be top notch, not sure about now...
Almost all parts stores are price oriented, the counter guy is afraid to bring out anything put the cheapest, in fear that he will loose a sale to the other "el cheapo" parts store in town, and might not even tell you there is a better quality of part available......
I used to sell auto parts, thankfully didn't work for a chain, couldn't stand selling "junk" auto parts...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 12-06-2010, 10:38 PM

I agree!

Old 12-07-2010, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm in the throws of rebuilding an HEI (part compare) and I can say...

most ALL the posts are loose on most all the HEI caps. I even have an unused (NEW) cap (snagged it from a U-Pull-It trunk).
================================================== ===
Here's what I've got to say about the super-simple HEI:

1) PMD Weight-plate & Post-plate are CCW specific so I had to marker parts for REFERENCE with "PMD up" & draw a "Chevy logo" on the flip-side. no big deal eh.

2) Reluctor pickups have Green-Tan with Magnetic polarity a certain way, then the Chevy has Tan-Green with Magnet polarity the same certain way. BIG DEAL RPM eval is needed to see if reluctor level is sufficient.

3) HEI chips; White vs Yellow, and the -10degree variant (may come in handy to kick-in -10 degrees some day). BIG DEAL if you like that feature. RPM eval needed to eval Reluctor level is up to it.

4) Rotors are all the same, keep em clean.

5) Coils: Primary 0.7Ohms (+/- 0.1Ohm) an all coild measured. Secondaries: 5.8KOhm typical, even the Accel Supercoil, so Seems to me GM's White-wire coil is same as Accel in terms of copper ratios, but a fella cannot tell about the Steel's magnetic saturation, so RPM eval neede to eval spark strength past 4500

6) While you at it, check the resistance of the cap-rotor brush. Al mine show 4k through 6k Ohms, except there is 1 that is zero Ohms. I'm junkin to use the Zero Ohm button, any thoughts there?

7) Vacuum ADV is cool left alone, but I have the Rotor-Cap phasing tweak and Reco Others Phase-in by shifting the Vac-plate mount for best transfer at upper RPM. Don;t be busting cranks from a spark-jump to forward post=CYL.

8) modified a Makita 11,000RPM motor to run at half-speed and full speed using a 2-speed trigger from an electric drill. That will get the "JB-Weld enabled Arbor interface" Oil pump shaft section with rubber hose to allow HEI RPM-evals for quick go-no-go spark evals. HEP Test cap will use a copper wire ring on 7 Posts going to a resistor divider to allow DMM Volt meter eval "read & Record" the DC voltage at the 2 RPMS for Pass fail of parts (Reluctors, chips, coils) & total assy. the 8th post goes to an actual Sparkplug view of the spark quality across a gap.

9) Yea, I strongly suspect my 68GTO has a working HEI with marginal spark past 4500RPM, whereas all Prior HEIs were made from matching good stuff, and sold under the assumption "we'll make more". Time to make more. HIS

Old 12-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I use the MSD replacement caps. Expensive and high quality. NO loose parts.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

HIS...where are you getting new reluctor pickups/ ect. ?

Old 12-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

One thing, I've learned from others...don't let your .045 gap plugs erode till they are around .060-.080 gap, it's a good test for the module!!!!

I have always used AC Delco magnetic pickups, or Standard Motor Parts, since seemingly ALL these parts are imports these days, I'm not sure, if there is a "Best Quality" source for ANY of these parts any more, although some stuff like MSD IS better, as David stated, you'd just have to be careful....

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 12-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The reluctors are part of the shaft, fyi.

The zero ohm bushings are required when you use an ignition amp like a MSD box. Guess it couldn't hurt using one when you're not using an MSD.

The Accel caps are less expensive than the MSD ones, but are brown. You can get a red or black ones, but then they cost as much as the MSD.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be