67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:55 PM
Senior Chief

Default 69 Firebird Front Disc Brake upgrades needed...

Ok, I got to Arizona, got the 69 Firebird I bought, and drove it back to So Cal in 107 degree desert heat without overheating or breaking down.

Of course, at 13.3 mpg with the car going 70 mph @ 3000 RPM with the A/C on, I sure didn't pass many gas stations. But I digress...

The Bird came with factory power front disc brakes. Previous owner restored them to stock. It's not enough for any LA traffic scenario, IMO.

However, I want to keep the 14" Rally II wheels, and there comes the rub...

What I'd like to have are upgraded calipers that fit the 14" wheels. Wilwood has a four piston kit with all of the parts you need for around $900.

SSBC has a kit, but they're kind of vague on the wheel size limit.

Who's upgraded their calipers/rotors/pads on their 69 Firebird? What company did you go with, and what was the cost?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks very much!

Jim
ScumOne

Old 10-01-2015, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My bird has upgraded disc and feel zero diff,waste of money IMO.Have a great brake guy in Long Beach if you want to get them checked out before you spend any money.Tom

Old 10-01-2015, 06:08 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
My bird has upgraded disc and feel zero diff,waste of money IMO.Have a great brake guy in Long Beach if you want to get them checked out before you spend any money.Tom
Tom, sounds like a plan. Let me get my car registered with the DMV, and I'll make a drive down there. I probably owe you lunch for your help on stuff anyway, so let me know if that's a possibility when I come down. You can email me or PM me here, whatever is easier.

Thanks!

Jim

Old 10-02-2015, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For fitting inside the stock 14" disc rim Tom is correct - hard to beat GM's setup. Have the rubber lines replaced, better pads, and have it pressure bled.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Does your engine have a big cam in it? When mine did, I didn't have enough vacuum to make the power brakes work right.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:42 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Farburd View Post
Does your engine have a big cam in it? When mine did, I didn't have enough vacuum to make the power brakes work right.
Nope, got the specs here somewhere, but I'm pretty sure it's just the regular 067 or 068 spec cam in there. The shop that did the work is out of business, so I can't ask them, and there are two sets of cam specs in the paperwork.

In any case, it needs something done to the carb or a tune up cuz it just doesn't accelerate like a 400 with 3:55 gears should, IMO.

I'm guessing the carb is set wrong, running too rich, or something like that.

Not only that, when I press on the left side of the brake pedal, the car stops pretty quickly. But when I press on the right side, it's slow to react. So now I'm thinking it has a bushing or some misalignment problem with the pedal to the booster or something like that, cuz that isn't right.

And that may be what tom s brake guy may be able to figure out for me...unless anyone else has another idea. I'm all ears, cuz the car is parked until I get some minor electrical issues fixed (sensors for the oil and water temperature, specifically). The previous owner put in the Trans Am dash/gauges package, and the water always reads 210 or higher (even when cold) and the oil pressure gauge now is pegged at 80 PSI.

But hey...it looks good in the sun!

Old 10-02-2015, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Agree that you need the entire system checked out, especially with the pedal issue. Pull the booster and empty any condensation out of it. You might consider getting street performance brake pads. I use Hawk Performance pads on my daily drivers and they are awesome. Very good pedal feel and you can stop on a dime. Do not get the race pads unless you are racing.

Last edited by fiedlerh; 10-02-2015 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:42 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiedlerh View Post
Agree that you need the entire system checked out, especially with the pedal issue. Pull the booster and empty any condensation out of it. You might consider getting street performance brake pads. I use Hawk Performance pads on my daily drivers and they are awesome. Very good pedal feel and you can stop on a dime. Do not get the race pads unless you are racing.
I'm using Hawk pads on my two C5 Corvettes, so I'm familiar with how well they work, but thanks just the same!

Definitely need to have that pedal/booster thing looked at to suss it out.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:03 PM
Senior Chief

Default I would have to agree with your finding

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
I read in an old article that the braking system on the 1969 Firebird [Trans Am] was one of the best that the writer tested and the returned readings on the braking test was almost a full G.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default disc brakes

My 2 69's have stock disc brakes, they both work very nicely.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The guy I sold my bird to,replaced the stock with Baer and dont think it did a thing diff.Tom