Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-30-2019, 01:32 PM
Senior Chief

Default 69 Firebird 400 4BBL accelerator linkage issues...no WOT for me!

In an update to my previous thread, a local Pontiac club member got my carb almost sorted out.

Electric Choke set too rich, reset that, now it fires up the first time with one pump of the pedal.

Adjusted the secondaries linkage on the Q-Jet, they now open easier.

The kick down switch and the accelerator cable and pedal are now the limiting factors.

It looks like the linkage hold down bracket was modified when the HEI dizzy was installed (removed the coil holder). Bad news is that now the cable is still about 1/2" less travel to open the secondaries properly.

At this point, looks like it's either the wrong cable in there, or the accelerator pedal isn't pulling the cable far enough. Doing a visual with the gas pedal floored, it's barely tripping the kick down switch, and it leaves the secondaries open just slightly, nowhere near vertical for WOT.

Has anyone else had to deal with this? And if you did, how did you resolve it?

Thanks for any tips!

JIm

Old 03-30-2019, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

fairly sure both the cable and bracket are different between 2 bbl and 4bbl

on my a bodys they are almost an inch diff

Old 03-30-2019, 01:51 PM
Senior Chief

Considering the Q-Jet should have a longer pull to open the secondaries, that seems logical. When the pedal is floored it barely gets the rubber accordian grommet for the kick down switch wrinkled. But if you push on it manually it goes a lot farther, like another 3/4" or so.

Time to consider bending the pedal under the dash to see if the rod is getting full travel on the cable, I'm guessing?

Old 03-30-2019, 02:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have the same problem with my 68 FB. I changed from a 2 BBL to a 4 BBL Holley & RPM intake. I can push the pedal against the floor, then grab the cable end and pull it out about 1/2" more (which results in full carb stroke). I tried adjusting/changing the bracket on the intake with no effect. I could not see how bracket position or length of cable would affect stroke distance. I plan on bending the pedal curved arm to make up the distance. That would also result in the pedal being higher off the floor when at rest. I also researched the pedal assembly and it is the same for 2 or 4 BBL.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 03-30-2019, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check your cable travel before going after the pedal. I may be wrong, but I think the cable may have a "stop" that will limit the amount of movement you can get out of it.

As Scott says, I had to get a longer cable when changing from 2bbl to Qjet on my LeMans. He even sold it to me IIRC!

Old 03-30-2019, 02:43 PM
Senior Chief

Well, the car/engine is matching numbers, and the carb # matches for the correct carb #, too. But as I got this as a "mostly completed" amateur restoration in October 2015, I can imagine there are probably some variables in what was done to it, and maybe the cable or gas pedal are one of them.

As it is now, the accelerator pedal is about even with the power brake pedal in height. So that makes me wonder if all the adjustment is taken there and now it's a cable or cable clamp issue.

Old 03-30-2019, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You mentioned "electric choke". The original 1969 Pontiac Q-jets are divorced choke, not electric.

They make an electric unit that mounts to the intake to replace the divorced choke, if that's what you are calling an electric choke set-up......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 03-30-2019, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it drives bring it to Endery tomorrow,Baker will be there along with a couple first gen guys.We get there about 7:30.Tom

Old 03-30-2019, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It is possible to add a shim behind the cable to help achieve WOT. If you don't want to bend stuff or look for different parts.

Old 03-30-2019, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott65 View Post
It is possible to add a shim behind the cable to help achieve WOT. If you don't want to bend stuff or look for different parts.
I did that once- completely pulled the cable out, slipped on several washers. That was when I was a lot younger and didn't worry so much about possible failures' like the inner edge of the washer cutting the cable over time Once I hit 40 or so a couple decades ago, I became more risk averse.

Bending the pedal could help some too.

Old 03-30-2019, 06:43 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
If it drives bring it to Endery tomorrow,Baker will be there along with a couple first gen guys.We get there about 7:30.Tom
I would but we have a 10:00 am meeting we have to drive to so there's not enough time to go there, drive back to Whittier and back to our 10:00 appt.

Old 03-30-2019, 06:45 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
You mentioned "electric choke". The original 1969 Pontiac Q-jets are divorced choke, not electric.

They make an electric unit that mounts to the intake to replace the divorced choke, if that's what you are calling an electric choke set-up......Cliff
It's an electric choke that was added to the carb. That's been resolved with success. It's working now that Bill Baker has looked at it, and reset it.

It seems the gas pedal and/or pedal to carb cable is the problem now.

Old 03-30-2019, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We leave there at 9!EZ drive to whittier on sunday AM.Tom

Old 03-30-2019, 07:01 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
We leave there at 9!EZ drive to whittier on sunday AM.Tom
Yep, I get it. It's the next place to go, the wife has to shower, makeup, dress, yada yada yada. Can't do it all in the limited time since the next 10:00 meeting is 40 miles from Whittier.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
I did that once- completely pulled the cable out, slipped on several washers. That was when I was a lot younger and didn't worry so much about possible failures' like the inner edge of the washer cutting the cable over time Once I hit 40 or so a couple decades ago, I became more risk averse.

Bending the pedal could help some too.
I don't use steel... A piece of phenolic stock, machined to fit properly works well. Just an option for the OP.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You'ed be surprised how much the secondary's on a Carb can be closed down and not effect the power much at all!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 03-31-2019, 11:16 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott65 View Post
I don't use steel... A piece of phenolic stock, machined to fit properly works well. Just an option for the OP.
Thanks for that tip, Scott65!

Old 03-31-2019, 11:19 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
You'ed be surprised how much the secondary's on a Carb can be closed down and not effect the power much at all!
The problem here is that they're not opening much, if at all. I checked the travel on the cable and you can get them to open by hand on the throttle linkage, but it's not getting anywhere near that when pressing on the gas pedal.

Something isn't right, and I'm sure it's simple enough to fix, but right now it's pretty slow.

I took our 99 Ford Explorer Sport (V6) out and it's faster than the 69. Considering it's got two less cylinders and about 2000 lbs more weight, that was demoralizing, to say the least.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the same problem with my 69 GTO many years ago. After a while the gas pedal linkage starts to bend from flooring it a lot. I bent it back up and the problem was solved for a few months and then it slowly bent again giving me the same problem. I had to weld a rod in to beef it up. Been holding up ever since. I will try to post a pic if I can.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is a pic. I couldn't get a completely clear shot but you can see the rod that's brazed in there to make a triangle. Its solid as a rock now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gas pedal 001.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	509308