Old 08-04-2021, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Round port I have never seen 3” D ports

Old 08-04-2021, 09:13 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandam1979 View Post
Round port I have never seen 3” D ports
My catalog shows part # SLB-1 as super long branch D-ports with 3" outlets, at a price of $499 a pair in 2003. If the 3" round ports are hard to find, I bet the D-ports are super RARE!!! No pun intended.

Old 08-04-2021, 10:06 PM
Boost Engineer

Since all of the true 421 Catalina Super Duty engines had a "D" port on even the 980 cylinder heads,
the original market for the RARE company was to repop the very hard to find Long Branch SD cast iron
headers. At some point people stopped building 63 421 SD vehicles.

The long branch Round port stuff was people putting RA-IV and 455 SD heads in their early Catalina vehicles.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would bet majority of the LongBranch market is for EarlyBirds.
D-port and Round-port
Fewer Fullsize/GP folks step-up to the better manifolds ($).

Any SD replica would definitely buck-up for them , but much lower build numbers going on there compared to Early Birds.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
I would bet majority of the LongBranch market is for EarlyBirds.
D-port and Round-port
Fewer Fullsize/GP folks step-up to the better manifolds ($).

Any SD replica would definitely buck-up for them , but much lower build numbers going on there compared to Early Birds.
I'm 100% with you on that one.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
The best flowing "Stock" ones I ever flowed, 1967 RA manifolds were made by a company in southern Ohio for the Pontiac Stores years ago. That being said, with some Extrude Honing, there was another easy 15 hp in those manifolds. And they looked factory stock. AND they would bolt on "D-Port" heads.

Tom V.
I just requested a price for extrude honing my long branch 67 manifolds. 800 for the pair for a .050 increase in diameter. 100 dollars extra to exceed that. Lame.

Old 08-05-2021, 12:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrdgo View Post
I just requested a price for extrude honing my long branch 67 manifolds. 800 for the pair for a .050 increase in diameter. 100 dollars extra to exceed that. Lame.
Well that really tells you 2 things. 1. They are not really interested in doing them. 2. There is no real competition in this type of business. Just like "Just Dash's" throwing out a $1500.00 estimate to recover a simple flat Catalina dash pad. BTW, Extrude Hone says on their own web site, running their process on iron manifolds doesn't do much of anything.

Old 08-05-2021, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Well that really tells you 2 things. 1. They are not really interested in doing them. 2. There is no real competition in this type of business. Just like "Just Dash's" throwing out a $1500.00 estimate to recover a simple flat Catalina dash pad. BTW, Extrude Hone says on their own web site, running their process on iron manifolds doesn't do much of anything.
I agree with all the above (including the part about "Just Dashes") but would like to add;

Extrude hone has always been expensive (over priced IMO)

Extrude hone can only follow an existing shape, enlarge it and smooth it. So if you were to Extrude Hone a poorly shaped port, you will end up with a larger, smoother but still poorly shaped port.

Old 08-05-2021, 09:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
I can't install my newly aquired engine with the round port E-heads into our '67 LeMans. Not until the RA round port cast iron manifolds are available. Who knows when that will be. Bummer.
Have you thought about some Kauffman "D" ports for that engine??? Of course, no idea on how available those are???

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 08-05-2021, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am exploring my options. But I’m not enthused about spending thousands, after already spending thousands on this engine. I’ll wait and see if the RA manifolds come through, or possibly the Dougs headers as a backup.

Old 08-05-2021, 10:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I am exploring my options. But I’m not enthused about spending thousands, after already spending thousands on this engine. I’ll wait and see if the RA manifolds come through, or possibly the Dougs headers as a backup.
If exhaust is the only thing you are waiting on, I wouldnt hold my breath on the manifolds. I would just buy the Doug's and make more power anyway. They tuck up nicely on my firebird, no ground clearance issues. The only thing I would say is spend more for the coated headers. I was near the end, getting nickel and dimed everywhere so I bought the painted headers to save $200. Mistake, they were ugly in no time flat.

I wanted the 3" super long branches too, but that was years ago and they STILL arent available. Headers are fine, its not enough of a problem to hold up your whole program over.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 08-05-2021, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
I hear ya!!! I agree, get the headers, and carry on!!! Some of the RA stuff has been N/A for way too long, none of us are getting younger!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 08-05-2021, 12:06 PM

Default Parts availability

In the vein of unavailable parts does anyone know of a source for forged con rods that I can float? Every place I look is out at least two months and Butler only offers the press fit ,but not certain they can deliver. The V rods I was planning on using apparently can't be used because of a dowel issue,not exactly sure what that is all about though. Any clues?

Old 08-05-2021, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was able to get Molnar connecting rods recently pretty quick, 2 sets. But 6.800 and 2.200 big ends, floating pins of course. .990". I think Goatzilla Racing has several sets of Molnar rods as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 07:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i will never sell my tri y round port headers....got them here for 450 shipped 5 years ago and still on the car...

Old 08-05-2021, 08:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by taktikian View Post
In the vein of unavailable parts does anyone know of a source for forged con rods that I can float? Every place I look is out at least two months and Butler only offers the press fit ,but not certain they can deliver. The V rods I was planning on using apparently can't be used because of a dowel issue,not exactly sure what that is all about though. Any clues?
We have Molnar Pontiac Full Floating Rods in stock at https://pontiacspeedshop.com/molnar-...floating-pins/

220" Rear Engine Pontiac Powered Dragster
https://www.facebook.com/PontiacSpeedShop/
https://www.facebook.com/GoatZillaRacing/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/RebuildExcitement/
https://www.facebook.com/Call1844RacersRV/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/INJUNWARS/
Old 08-05-2021, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
If exhaust is the only thing you are waiting on, I wouldnt hold my breath on the manifolds. I would just buy the Doug's and make more power anyway.
Agree. Never understood the hang up on headers around here. I've run various brand headers on multiple different street cars, including Pontiacs, and no real issues to speak of. With the weird availability going on with manifolds, I wouldn't even hesitate sticking headers on another Pontiac. Just buy a good brand, use good gaskets, and they'll last you for years.

About the only thing I reserve the manifolds for anymore is for a stock type build like PS where the class rules require them, or a stock type restoration, or a sneaky stock "appearing" build. Otherwise headers get my vote.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 09:57 PM
Boost Engineer

If you get a good pair of a properly made set of headers, they will fit well, will not leak, and the noise difference between the average vehicle NVH with headers and a production vehicle will be minimal.

I ran one set of cast iron "Headers" (actually 67 RA manifolds). I will stick with headers.
Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

I have what I assume is a set of near 40 year old Hedman 3 tube headers on my bird.

They are crusty, look like crap and are old enough that the collector flange is the square 4 bolt style instead of the 3 bolt triangle style.

They seal up real well, don’t leak and they don’t really clatter much.

I wouldn’t be afraid of a good header at all. Especially if that is all you’re waiting on.

I inquired about a set of LB’s from rare about 4 years ago. They had 1 manifold and were “waiting on more very soon.”

Old 08-06-2021, 02:37 PM

Default Am interested in buying the Molnar 6625 H-beam

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatZillaRacing View Post
We have Molnar Pontiac Full Floating Rods in stock at https://pontiacspeedshop.com/molnar-...floating-pins/
You state on your site the standard rod journal size is 2.375. Is this correct? I am not on the same level of expertise as most members but I can't throw my engine builder any curveballs. Thanks