Old 01-12-2003, 07:40 AM

The wipers on my 69 Firebird are very slow on low and not much faster on hi. I replaced the motor with a rebuilt from Autozone (not recommended)and it made no difference. I've had this car for 13 years and they have always been this way. Has any one else experienced this problem?

Slower Traffic Keep Right

Old 01-12-2003, 07:40 AM

The wipers on my 69 Firebird are very slow on low and not much faster on hi. I replaced the motor with a rebuilt from Autozone (not recommended)and it made no difference. I've had this car for 13 years and they have always been this way. Has any one else experienced this problem?

Slower Traffic Keep Right

Old 01-12-2003, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Bud Lyons

Sounds like a bad ground. Make sure the ground behind the switch is clean. Is anything else acting strange?

My Rig's a little old, but that don't mean she's slow.

Only two defining forces have ever offered their life for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
One for your soul; the other for your freedom
Old 01-12-2003, 02:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 428GTO70

You sure theres anything wrong? I know the old units are nowhere near as fast as anything newer. Just wondering if thats your basis for comparison? If not then I would definately check grounds on the switch, check the connectors in the plugs at both ends(switch and motor)and make sure the ground strap on the motor going to the mounting stud is good and has a good clean ground connection.

GR-RRR!

1970 GTO 458 CID .040 over 4 Bolt 428 Block, Forged Eagle 455 Crank, 295 CFM SD KRE D-Ports, SD Old Faithful HR Cam + Comp HR Lifters, PPR Maxx-lite rods, Racetec pistons, PRW 1.65 SS Rockers, 900CFM Holley HP TBI, Performer RPM, Hooker Super Comps, 3" X-Pipe into 2.5" mufflers/tailpipes, 2.75 1st TH400, Continental 13" Converter, 8.5" 3.08 Posi.
Everything installed, fired up and tuning has begun!
Old 01-12-2003, 07:21 PM
Senior Chief

Check your wiper motor mounting grommets. I believe the wiper motor is electrically isolated from the firewall (The motor cannot touch the firewall or any other ground).

Try this: Remove the wiper motor mounting bolts (3). Pull the motor slightly away from the firewall so no metal is touching any other metal. Hold it firmly. Have someone else turn on the wipers. Try low and high. If they work, you need new grommets.

Old 01-12-2003, 11:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 428GTO70

Thats actually not the case, the motor is grounded by one of these mounts. A strap goes to one of them and this is why you basically can only remove 2 of the 3 bushings from the motor. I think the grommets are just to cushion the motor from firewall kind of like motor mounts, they allow some flex for a motor with torque. At least thats what I think its for, But I do know it is self grounded thru one of them.

GR-RRR!

1970 GTO 458 CID .040 over 4 Bolt 428 Block, Forged Eagle 455 Crank, 295 CFM SD KRE D-Ports, SD Old Faithful HR Cam + Comp HR Lifters, PPR Maxx-lite rods, Racetec pistons, PRW 1.65 SS Rockers, 900CFM Holley HP TBI, Performer RPM, Hooker Super Comps, 3" X-Pipe into 2.5" mufflers/tailpipes, 2.75 1st TH400, Continental 13" Converter, 8.5" 3.08 Posi.
Everything installed, fired up and tuning has begun!
Old 01-21-2003, 09:30 PM

try lubricating all of the pivot points in the linkage.

penray makes a product called inner slide lube that works well on things like that.

DON'T GET IT ON THE PAINT! IT STAINS.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill