Old 01-10-2000, 10:06 PM

Hope this is the right place to askThese questions? I have a 64 Catalina and was wanting to replace the tranny with another transmission and also update the brakes to disc. Can anyone give me info on these swaps. Any info will be appreciated.

Karl Madcharo
64 Catalina
Tucker, GA
madkarl@mindspring.com

Old 01-10-2000, 10:06 PM

Hope this is the right place to askThese questions? I have a 64 Catalina and was wanting to replace the tranny with another transmission and also update the brakes to disc. Can anyone give me info on these swaps. Any info will be appreciated.

Karl Madcharo
64 Catalina
Tucker, GA
madkarl@mindspring.com

Old 01-12-2000, 12:57 AM

Carl these two questions are frequently ask and there is no easy answer. Lets talk Brakes first. There is no kit made but it can be done by using some later model parts but I'm not hip to which ones. I have disk on my 62 Catalina but I spent $1000 to have custom parts made (includes the cost of Willwood parts). Email me and I will put you in touch with the individual who did it for me. Now I assume your disenchanted with the infamous slimjim. The problem here is that the th400 was not used until 1965 and that is the same year that pontiac changed the starter mounting from the belhousing to the block there is an adapter that makes it possible to use a th400 with a 64 and earlier block. I know a guy who has done this in his 64 and I will get you his email address and you can ask him directly for the details also the is a post on the Classicalpontiac.com site that deal with this transmission issue it will show up in the last 7 days post also do a search of the archives on that same site we have discussed this issue in detail it usually has been in regards to a 1963 Pontiac but the story is the same for a 64 Cat Good luck

------------------
"62" Obsession

[This message has been edited by Greg Minor (edited 01-12-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Greg Minor (edited 01-12-2000).]

Old 01-12-2000, 10:33 AM
Senior Chief

Karl: As far as the tranny swap is concerned, most tend to go with a TH-400. The first thing you need to determine is whether your '64 block is drilled to mount the starter. The RotoHydramatic (slim jim) your car is equipped with used the transmission bellousing for mounting the starter, and TH-400 does not have this provision, so you will either need to mount the starter to the block, or fabricate an adaptor plate to go between the engine and transmission to mount the starter. Once you find out, feel free to e-mail me and I can give you more details.

DJB_Rock_2005.jpg