THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-11-2020, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Strangest modifications you made as a kid.

How about the strangest, weirdest or more stupid modifications you made to your Pontiacs as a kid.

I was a tinkerer .... I hooked up an electric antenna motor to my glove box door. Used the driven nylon core of the antenna to open and close the glove box door. I could make it open and close real quick like a berserk giant clam.

I installed a home 8-track stereo under the dash. Bypassed the AC transformer and ran it on the straight 12v DC from the battery ... and it did work for a while.

I removed the front wheel wells cause I thought it would look cool ... it did make working on the exhaust manifolds and changing plugs easier ... but the battery fell out once.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gto3.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	555849  

Old 12-11-2020, 11:25 AM

I glued a rubber trim around my car's dashboard. Making it look cheap.

Old 12-11-2020, 11:54 AM
Senior Chief

I had Midas weld in a cut-out on my '62 F-85. Worked fine until the wire rusted in the cable, of course w/the valve in the wide open position. And of course the tickets followed. So back to Midas for new section of pipe. Sadder (and poorer) but wiser........

Old 12-11-2020, 01:04 PM
Senior Chief

Nothing odd like @dataway did. I added fog lights on my 1972 Nova (first car) and then added a red light under each rear shock mount. I think I added a colored light under the dash too if I remember...which I don't.

'69 Firebird 400 - Goldenrod Yellow, 455 +.060, '6s-7' heads, Comp Cam 276AH-10 (51-309-4), TH400, Ford 9-inch w/3.08, 800cfm Q-jet, Stock Intake, Hooker Headers, Flowmasters
'68 Coronet 500 Convertible - Medium Gold Metallic, stock 318 +100,000 miles
The Following User Says Thank You to Hikin Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2020, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikin Mike View Post
Nothing odd like @dataway did. I added fog lights on my 1972 Nova (first car) and then added a red light under each rear shock mount. I think I added a colored light under the dash too if I remember...which I don't.
I remember that one, for a while there were quite a few cars with lights up under in the rear axle area.

I'm ashamed to post this one.
Besides the other horrors .... no fender wells.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gto6.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	555863  

Old 12-11-2020, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think I want to confess to these in print

But a couple of them involved the addition of a model T Ford spark coil.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 12-11-2020, 01:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Putting muffler clamps on shock absorbers on my dad's 64 Catalina to jack the back up. My buddy George had a 59 Catalina convertible. We stood in trunk in his dad's garage to hook shocks up springs were so heavy,Then, he put 2x6 lumber under front frames to jack it up! No bs. One time he hit a bump and 2x6 feel out on one side! Oh to be young and foolish or daring!!

Old 12-11-2020, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post

Jon.
Please tell me this was for flame throwers

Old 12-12-2020, 09:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
Please tell me this was for flame throwers
They could certainly have been used in that manner.

It is rumored that an excellent theft control can also be made from one.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 12-12-2020, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Neighbor had a 68 black high po Mustang fastback. He removed one piston and rod for some reason. I remember him driving the car to work. Cant imagine fuel in oil.

Old 01-04-2021, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
They could certainly have been used in that manner.

It is rumored that an excellent theft control can also be made from one.

Jon.
My father built a door shocker for his old Dodge.
i was a little kid at the time but i remember the switch under the dash, the coil, and also the ground wire hanging from the bottom of the car.
He said he shocked the same co-worker every day for a week.
I probably still have that coil and braided ground wire somewhere.

Old 12-12-2020, 12:06 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:

Jon.
That device, if I remember correctly was the "Remove your Fat AZE" (from the front fender of my car you are leaning on." A very good "removal" device.

I had a GTO with 3.90 gears so I rolled along at a slower speed than some other vehicles. I was running factory manifolds and head pipes at the time.

A windshield washer pump and bottle allowed some light weight machine oil to enter the exhaust pipes, BURN, and emit some very good "Mosquito Killer" smoke vapors out the rear of the exhaust splitters if some one was tailgating you.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-12-2020, 02:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After I got my 69 Camaro in high school back in the late 80s I wanted to put cooler wheels on it to replace the then uncool factory dog dish hubcap/wheel setup.
Bought some cheap imitation Cragar look alike that my HS shop teacher warned me about buying. Found out the tire shop couldn’t even balance them very well. They told me they were complete junk and refused to put them on the car.
Put them on my self and drove the car anyway and it shook a lot and found out one was actually built crooked as I measured the depth in the rim. Luckily, Wise speed shop refunded my money.
Found some nice Chevy Rally sports for less and they’re still on the car.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:44 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:

Jon.
Down in Missouri in the old days we used to have lots of trucks run over the speed limit on the two lane blacktop roads. Some would be right on your bumper at times.

I had my grandfather's Dodge 330 (426m wedge) hooked up with a couple of spark plugs so you could get a backfire/flame out of the exhaust. You might have seen a similar deal in a couple of Hot Rod Movies in the old days.

The other mod I made to that car was, as I have posted in the past years ago, something to keep the trucks off my bumper. So if they were too close I would speed up, hit the backfire button, and turn on the windshield washer pump that would spray light weight machine oil into the exhaust after the spark plugs. There was always some left over gas mixture in the exhaust after the acceleration with the carb calibration.

Massive amounts of oily smoke would pour out of the exhaust pipes, like I had a mechanical issue. But the oil would go everywhere on the idiots nice shiny Simi-Tractor and Trailer. Royal pain to wash it off too.

I would pull off the side of the road and let the guy find the oil all over his truck at the Truck Stop. Fogged a gas stations windows one time too.
Guy was a real as-wipe.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-11-2020, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not a Pontiac but my first car at 16 was a '63 Impala that had the radio speaker in the back seat with that metal grille. I rigged up a blue light behind it so I could turn it on from the drivers' seat. I thought that all those little perforations in the grille made the headliner look like a disco club..it didn't but I still had a cool blue light in my car....lol
Found a pic-

Old 12-11-2020, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My cousin bought a windshield washer kit. Filled it with a bleach/water mix, and routed the outlets to spray in front of his rear tires. Stock (at this time) '78 T/A with 2.56 gears. He did some cool burnouts!!

'67 Firebird [sold], ; 11.27 @ 119.61, 7.167 @ 96.07, with UD 280/280 (108LSA/ 109 ICL)solid cam. [1.537, 7.233 @93.61, 11.46 @ 115.4 w/ old UD 288/296 108 hydraulic cam] Feb '05 HPP, home-ported "16" D-ports, dished pistons (pump gas only), 3.42 gears, 275/60 DR's, 750DP, T2, full exhaust

My webpage http://lnlpd.com/home
Old 12-11-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
My cousin bought a windshield washer kit. Filled it with a bleach/water mix, and routed the outlets to spray in front of his rear tires. Stock (at this time) '78 T/A with 2.56 gears. He did some cool burnouts!!
We did this and routed it the same way, only we put traction bite in it and street raced

1987 Pontiac Grand Prix - Sage/Sage/Sage - GM 305/Th200-4r

2004 Pontiac GTO - IBM over Black - LSx 440/6-speed/4.10 SRA - Single Digit Stick Shift
Old 12-11-2020, 05:19 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gastiresandoil View Post
We did this and routed it the same way, only we put traction bite in it and street raced
I too installed a secondary windshield washer pump, with the push button neatly installed on my dashboard. I mounted the spray nozzles just above the rear license plate, spraying up at about 45 degrees and directly behind the vehicle. You might wonder why, and I'll tell you this - when some idiot is tailgating your ass on the freeway, a few shots from the sprayer covers their windshield with water, which pisses them off and they just go around or back off. I called it the "Tail-B-Gone", LMAO

Old 12-11-2020, 05:57 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I ran the hose to the rear of the passenger seat. A couple of pushes and they think they wet their pants!

Old 12-11-2020, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think I got the idea from a Car Craft magazine.
When I got my drivers license, but before I bought my GTO, I drove my mothers ‘73 Delta 88. Rocket 350 , 2 barrel, single exhaust, and highway gears. I ran a flexible drier duct that I duct taped to the air cleaner snorkel down to under the core support. I then duct taped a big funnel to the end. “It’s got RamAir man!”

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.