THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-03-2020, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Didn't say that nor inferred that.

George

Old 09-03-2020, 01:12 PM
Senior Chief

I really enjoyed this episode. My parents had same year, make & model. It brought back a lot of memories and encourages me to get my 70 Lemons on the road.

Old 09-03-2020, 01:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I watched this last night. As much as I like these guys, their "fix" for the leak in that quadrajet was laughable and pathetic. The carb likely had something in the needle/seat or the float was stuck. Freiberger thought it was the accl pump rubber (which doesnt seal $h!t)... I'm glad they actually treated it with some respect and didnt destroy it. I love roadkill.

1968 Lemans. 37,000 original miles. GTO clone. 462ci/KRE 290 heads. UltraDyne 280/288 Solid/850 Qjet by Cliff/Performer RPM/TSP 9.5" in TH400/8.5" 3.42 gears/3950# Race weight/12.58@106 at Bandimere speedway high altitude
Old 09-03-2020, 01:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like all those shows, but as others have mentioned, I watched that over a year ago when it was new on MToD. Thats the best $5 I spend every month. That was a surprisingly decent car for being in a yard. But Ill give them the benefit of the doubt, because normally they work on straight junk.

I would say they wouldnt call themselves pros, but more likely highly experienced amateurs. They make fun of themselves all the time. You also cant look at it like you or I would, where you research, maybe call Cliff and buy the best parts you can. Wait two weeks for them to arrive. They probably rushed out and got that carb kit from autozone. Who knows if it was even the right kit for that model.

They all do have their strengths. The accuracy with which they call things on the dyno before testing them usually impresses me.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 09-03-2020, 01:40 PM

I like the wheel standing Stubby Bob that was just pure doing something just to see if they could do it. I like that they are just ordinary guys who wake up in the morning and say what if we..........
I also like the episode blasphemi vs the superbee and they spent a lot of the time just trying to rebuild the hemi on a park bench. Good stuff

Old 09-03-2020, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I quite liked that episode.
I hope this car has found a good home.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 09-03-2020, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
I quite liked that episode.
I hope this car has found a good home.
They still have it. They are doing an upcoming episode of Roadkill Garage with it.

Old 09-03-2020, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a long time friend that sponsored my race cars (Jays Auto Wrecking) you can see it on the photos of my dirt track cars in my signature photos. I've known him since I first started buying car parts from him when I was 15 years old, so 52 years ago.

I've bought cars, and trucks from he, and his son, that I put back on the road and drove for years. I believe I'm qualified to pull something out of a yard and put it back on the road as reliable transportation. Hell, most of the cars and trucks I've bought in my lifetime were in a state of disrepair, and not road worthy when I purchased them, they're tons cheaper when they don't drive.

6 months a go I bought a 95 chevy 3500 HD with a 6.5 Detroit diesel engine in it, with a 16 foot aluminum box body on it, and a 3500# lift gate that is fully operational, $500. It has a blown head gasket so it was cheap. I'm going to remove the box to used for storage, and install a used dump bed on it. To this day I'm always on the look out for dead, or dying vehicles to buy and repair. It's saved me tons of money over the years.

If anyone thinks I couldn't have got that T 37 running, you'd be mistaken.

Just for the record, I watch Roadkill all the time, and love the show, but Freibeurger, and Finnegan choose some of the most dubious ways to repair cars that I've ever seen. But it's reality TV, not real life. They have the production crew there to cover their ass all the time, it's not life and death when the car quits running. You'll notice when they're working on their own cars the "butchery" is abandoned, and the work is performed properly, or farmed out to some experts.

Plus they're not paying for the parts out of pocket, the show, and the sponsors cover them. It's entertainment on TV, not real life, so I look at it as purely as them demonstrating that with "butchery" (their words not mine) you get an education on how far you can get on questionable ways of stringing a car along to get you from point A to B. Sometimes they don't make it a full mile, sometimes they make it a thousand miles.

On almost every episode they complain that "the brakes barely work", but you find them on the interstates quite frequently, not on the back roads at reduced speed.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 09-03-2020, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Roadkill is the only car show I watch really. I loved Friburger when he was with CarCraft. They would just do low budget immature crazy crap that reminded me of what my buddies and I always did, or WANTED to do back in my younger days.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
The Following User Says Thank You to 67drake For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2020, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Best day at work ever"..Even though many of the cars are "scrap worthy" its the thrash to get them road worthy and hit the road that is the appeal. "We drove around the block and deemed it good to go, time to hit the road".

466 Mike Voycey shortblock, 310cfm SD KRE heads, SD "OF 2.0 cam", torker 2
373 gears 3200 Continental Convertor
best et 10.679/127.5/1.533 60ft
308 gears best et 10.76/125.64/1.5471
Old 09-03-2020, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta man View Post
"Best day at work ever"
ha-ha-ha!!

I forgot about that line!!

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 09-03-2020, 06:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
I can do better. I can setup a distributor that's not 180 out. I can try to start a car with the PCV hose connnected instead of unconnected. I can make sure the vac hose to the modulator is connected. I can fix up a QJ with new innards as long as the top is off anyway.

Sure, a lot of that is scripted just for TV..... but my opinion is that the guys are knowledgeable enuf to not make those silly mistakes. Could be it's done on purpose. Perhaps I expect too much from TV, just my mindset.

In my profession, if i screw up the cost could be tens of thousands of $. I tend to be more deliberate in what I do, and double check. it would be nice to have their luxury

George
I suppose you are doing all of this flawless work in a junkyard or on the side of a road while engaging with the TV audience, hosting multiple streaming shows, and working social media to support your show?

Out of curiosity, what is your youtube channel?

The Following User Says Thank You to bdk1976 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2020, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, I learned my lesson....I won't offer any advice or opinions on this board anymore. I'm done.

george

Old 09-03-2020, 06:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another stupid show. I can’t deal with his lisp.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 09-03-2020, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's just a TV show, folks...calm down, there's no reason to start fights with each other.

Both those guys have decades of experience working on cars so they're certainly knowledgeable, but the whole point of Roadkill is to just slap things together. If you're looking for quality restoration work, you're watching the wrong show.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2020, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
It's just a TV show, folks...calm down, there's no reason to start fights with each other.

Both those guys have decades of experience working on cars so they're certainly knowledgeable, but the whole point of Roadkill is to just slap things together. If you're looking for quality restoration work, you're watching the wrong show.
Right? Its no wonder people cant have a civil political conversation.

FWIW, I watch most of the extras they do where they go behind the scenes some. Dave has said on probably 10 occasions that the episodes where they take a roadtrip and nothing goes wrong are the least viewed episodes. People tune in for them to run into problems and see them overcome it with duct tape and parts store fuel hose.

Old 09-03-2020, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Car would be a great one to restore. Hope they don't butcher it up.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 09-03-2020, 10:00 PM

OK. I have to say this and then I will move on. I like the show mostly. But after years and years of seeing Hot Rod , Car Craft, Popular Hot Rodding, etc. etc., and practically every made for cable automotive series, with exceptions, taking classic Pontiacs and turning them into chebys in one way, shape, or form, I for one can't help but be suspicious or leery about what they will do to this car, or any other Pontiac that they or anyone else likeminded might encounter down the road. We've seen it countless times.
Likewise drag racing associations like NHRA and others over the years changing the rules because some upstart competitive Pontiacs come along and start dominating the classes over the Big Three.
Nah. I will remain skeptical without apology.

Old 09-03-2020, 11:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I love this show simply because these guys just like to have fun. They take junk from a junkyard, get it running, and immediately set out on a road trip. Yes, they have back up to keep them from getting stranded somewhere, but they are also illustrating for the novices out there. I met Frieberger in 2004 on the Hotrod Power Tour. He hasn't changed. The guy knows his ****, but he deliberately does things that a novice would do simply to illustrate the disastrous results. I mean, drifting that t-boned Charger took some ingenuity.

Old 09-04-2020, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
I like all those shows, but as others have mentioned, I watched that over a year ago when it was new on MToD. Thats the best $5 I spend every month.
I'm with ya' Rocktimus. Best $5/month indeed!

These shows are hilarious, and I luv their approach to all things automotive. And of course Roadkill leads the pack. My hat is off to F&F for putting the show out there all these years.

I look forward to every new episode!

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3
The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Pontiac For This Useful Post: