Old 08-23-2022, 07:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Spare wheel and tire

What are you all using for a spare? Currently on my 67, I have a 14" steel wheel with a 78 series tire. I have 15" rally II on the car so I was thinking I should upgrade the spare to a 15" as well. Should I get a 15" steel wheel or use an extra rally II for the spare?

Old 08-25-2022, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What is the intended purpose? Functionality, stock looking trunk? Maybe just good tires and AAA membership. Not an easy question to answer. I don't think I would want to use a stock bumper jack on my car with re-chromed bumpers, or a spare that was not the same diameter if a back tire went flat, due to the posi rear. My $.02.

That said I have a factory Rally rim spare that would use if I was showing it. I guess they are rare.

Old 08-25-2022, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How old is the spare? Did you upgrade the brakes and will the 14" rim still fit? Do you run a posi, and is the spare same diameter as the Rallys?

Old 08-25-2022, 11:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Good questions.
I need to check the fit of the 14" wheel on the front discs. It may not fit. The spare was the same diameter of the 225 60 15s that I was running but recently changed to 235 60 15 all around. Another thing I need to check
If I ever did get a flat, the bumper jack would be my last option as I would call Hagerty roadside service, but would need a correct size spare.

Old 08-26-2022, 03:38 PM

All valid responses. If you go for 100 pt. show car, ether black steel wheel and tire or space saver, the latter you cannot really drive on,. If you go for functionality and regular show, go with 15' rally II (dove grey on the back show side) so it looks good and no tow truck needed. I also agree against using the bumper jack as it knocks the bumper fit out of whack. I ha good scissor jack under the spare just in case.