THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-10-2022, 04:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Spray on WAX

Is there a quality spray on Wax ... and I mean wax not a "Ceramic" or Silicone based product. I'm very hesitant to allow any silicone based product anywhere near my shop. I'm thinking like a spray on, dry to a haze, wipe off type product.

I do have some silicone based stuff (which is most products now) but I have to keep it in the house with separate towels etc. Only really use it on the late model cars.

Old 11-10-2022, 08:08 AM

How are you defining "quality" in a spray-on wax?

I sometimes use the Turtle Wax "Wax as you dry" product, but I use it to throw a quick shine on, and it makes the water bead and makes it easier to dry. I don't really assume that it's going to be durable.

Maybe that's one of the silicone-based products you don't want to use.

The Following User Says Thank You to Longs For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2022, 08:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was trying to find the right 'wax' for my car and got dizzy from all of the information and product availability. I found for my car that gets occasional use and stays in the garage that a good carnuba is the best. I got Griots and use their carnuba spray wax as a touch up. The problem with carnuba is that its not real durable and needs to be applied a couple of times a year.

I used a 'ceramic' modified spray wax on my wifes new mustang and it was easy to do. I dont think it lasted any longer than the typical non ceramic wax though. No long term effects.

The Following User Says Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2022, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was just looking for the same for our fiberglass RV. Labels were less than clear. O'Reilly's staff could not answer. Many brands mentioned silicones.

Griot's spray-on at least mentioned carnauba and did not mention silicone so I tried it. I can neither confirm nor deny.

Good luck.

Post an update if you can find one.

Mike

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2022, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I use Griots Garage spray on, no dust, use like a detail mist, not a fan of the ceramic stuff.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
The Following User Says Thank You to burd For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2022, 11:09 AM

One of the Trans Am race teams I've participated on used Lucas Slick Mist speed wax on the race cars. It can applied on vinyl wraps and decals without any problems so I doubt there is any silicone in it. I have to admit the shine was excellent and tire rubber seemed to clean off with reasonable ease.

The Following User Says Thank You to srmmmm For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2022, 11:24 AM

There are few still out there.

Sprayway the company that makes the great glass cleaner has two products

1. Instant Detail Wax
2. Wax & Shine
https://www.spraywayinc.com/product-...polishes-waxes

Fukken Wax (no joke I don't make the names up)
https://www.amazon.com/Fukken-Wax-Im...43938946&psc=1

Meguiar's

Ultimate Spray Wax
https://www.amazon.com/MEGUIARS-G200...759986999&th=1

Quick Wax (this is from their marine line but will work great on cars)
https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-M591.../dp/B0000AY518

Turtle Wax ICE Spray Wax uses carnauba wax
https://www.turtlewax.com/products/i...2b022f68&_ss=r

Turtle Wax also has ICE Seal and Shine with carnauba and a hydrophobic polymer it works great,
https://www.turtlewax.com/products/i...l&_ss=e&_v=1.0

All of these products will work to give a great wax shine in minutes with no silicone.

The Meguiar's and Turtle Wax products can be found in places like Advance, Auto Zone O'Reillys, Walmart. Sprayway is available at most NAPA Stores. Amazon has everything and with prime free shipping.

2005 GTO Quick Silver/Red
Fayetteville, NC
Do It Right or Don't Do It All
The Following User Says Thank You to theamcguy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2022, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unfortunately if you download the IDD/MSD for any of those products which list them (all Turtle Wax products) you will find Silicone Fluid Micro-Emulsion Mixture or something similar.

For the most part any of the products that spray out clear, and wipe to a shine immediately contain silicone as a glossing agent. It's great technology for protecting the paint ... but a death sentence if it gets on surface you want to paint.

I think I need to be searching for "body shop safe" spray waxes ... if there is such a thing.

Old 11-10-2022, 12:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here are a few from chemo guys- I am happy with their products but have never used these

https://www.chemicalguys.com/lucent-...s-and-sealants

https://www.chemicalguys.com/blazin-...s-and-sealants

The Following User Says Thank You to 1965gp For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2022, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well ... from what I can tell so far ... such a product does not exist. There basically are no "body shop safe" waxes or sealants. The best you can hope for is non-silicone paste waxes or liquid waxes that can be removed with the usual "Wax and Grease" panel cleaners.

Evidently paint shops are very carefully segregating their paint shops from their detailing spaces. I guess they don't even want aerosol or spray polymer or silicone products used in the same building because it can travel through the air and contaminate panels.

I probably should have posted this in the body shop section to see what, if anything, people are using in the same spaces where future painting might be done.

Just once I contaminated a panel with a product that contained silicone, in general it's basically impossible to remove, and impossible to paint.

Old 11-10-2022, 02:12 PM

If anybody would make a product that is silicone free it would be Meguiar's. Go to their forum sign-up and their product managers if they make a spray wax without silicone. The product managers monitor the forum and will respond. They have many different lines and their. The rule of thumb for Meguiar's is if it is in a tan bottle it is body shop safe. M34 is body shop safe. It is not a wax but provides shine that is body shop safe.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Mirr...0002SQVNA?th=1

2005 GTO Quick Silver/Red
Fayetteville, NC
Do It Right or Don't Do It All
The Following User Says Thank You to theamcguy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2022, 02:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Is there a reason you want a spray wax? These new higher end waxes are pretty easy to apply and remove

The Following User Says Thank You to 1965gp For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2022, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Basically ... Lazy

But another lesson in the easy way is not always the best way

Remember when it was a big deal when "Liquid Wax" came out and you didn't have to wipe hard wax out of a can? I was hoping they had made the next step to a liquid wax that was so thin it could be sprayed ... but they've basically jumped right to the polymer/silicone/hybrid sprays.

AMCguy ... I've got about a gallon of the showroom shine sort of stuff, a commercial product, pink, smells great .... yeah that stuff works pretty good. I basically wanted that but a real wax. Just a lazy guy exploring his options Every time I see your avatar it reminds me of an AMX Javelin a kid had in high school in 1976 .. big 6-71 blower sticking out of the hood ... dang that thing sounded great, it was painted in a beautiful pearl purple paint (hey, it was 1976).

Old 11-10-2022, 04:09 PM
Senior Chief

@dataway

You might check with Chemical Guys or Adams, both have some really good products! I have used them all over the years, Final Inspection was my go to for decades.

You might think I am a sick puppy, but I Armor All my tires in my paint room which is also my wash bay & storage bay for my one of my transport trucks & enclosed trailer when not in use! LOL I have done paint work on more than 200 cars since the mid 80's & have NEVER had any "fisheyes" supposedly associated with silicone. Might be the simple fact that I scrub the whole paint room top to bottom before each paint job, not sure.

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/

Bills' Auto Works Est 1983 & still going strong!

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Ambassador Custom Lemans
1957 Chieftan 2dr HT
1964 Grand Prix
1966 Catalina Conv. 421
1966 Ambassador DPL 2dr HT
1966 Ambassador Cust. 2 DR HT
1967 Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS Coupe
2007 Cad XLR-V Supercharged Roadster
The Following User Says Thank You to Bills Auto Works For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2022, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Well ... from what I can tell so far ... such a product does not exist. There basically are no "body shop safe" waxes or sealants. The best you can hope for is non-silicone paste waxes or liquid waxes that can be removed with the usual "Wax and Grease" panel cleaners....
This company claims body shop safe but I interpret the same as you. At least they are clear about "silicone free" for many of their products:

https://stingerchemicals.com/index.p...mium-hand-wax/

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Just once I contaminated a panel with a product that contained silicone, in general it's basically impossible to remove, and impossible to paint.
I once worked with a group of ChemEs that did polymer and elastomer formulation. They found their tech beaming one day because he'd wiped down all the lab tops with silicone oil and they literally glistened. He did not get big hugs and new words were invented.

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2022, 08:34 PM
Senior Chief

I use a spray detailer made by Presta that is paint shop safe and have never had a problem as I work and paint in the same space.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob in NH For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2022, 11:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The only, and the best wax I use is FastWax1. It takes out little scuffs and brings back dull paint. I get it off of eBay. I bought 3 cans for 60.00 and free shipping.

I had to sand some bubbles out of the clearcoat on my GTO. Got rid of them ok but rubbing compound would work at all. As a last resort I use the FastWax and that did the trick in one application. It worked so good it's hard to tell where I sanded. No dust either... just wipe it on, let it haze, and wipe it off. TA Kerry has seen the spot I did on the top of my left fender near the cowl.

Grotes is good, but it doesn't work as good as the FastWax.

You can see the shine on the GTO in the photos I posted in my thread... 2023 Car Calendar

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.

Last edited by GT182; 11-10-2022 at 11:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GT182 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2022, 09:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I can confirm Gary's Fast Wax experience.
As far as silicone and painting, I am not a painter but have done my share. When I do so I strip to metal and do all of the proper prepping and never had a problem. I cant say if anything I did ever had silicone wax or not. I would imagine if it was that big of a problem it would not be sold. A lot of cars go through body shops every year and I doubt that every single one of them has never had a silicone based wax applied!

The Following User Says Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2022, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill ... strangely enough, I've used Armor all in my paint spaces too and never had a problem. And apparently they do have "waster based silicone emulsions" in them.

It's possible I'm being overly paranoid about this ... in my one case of horrible shop contamination I'm pretty sure the culprit was a silicone spray lubricant I used, or a silicone mold release I used on a project. I even tried bead blasting it off ... which of course drove it deeper and contaminated all my bead.

Going to check out all the links you guys have provided. Thanks for the input.

Old 11-11-2022, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used to use Armor All. But that was when I had the black 79 Formula Firebird. All it did was attract dust and make one hell of a mess. Wasn't any good for the tires and interior either. I don't think silicone is any good for paint. But that's just me.

So now it's only spray silicone for the tires (prevents rot and weather checking) and Maguires Interior spray inside. Both work great. That shiny tire dressing crap just doesn't cut it.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
The Following User Says Thank You to GT182 For This Useful Post: