THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:06 PM
Senior Chief

Default Are most of you solid Pontiac guys or do you like them all?

Whenever I am out in a GTO, I bump into fans that talk smack about non Pontiacs so I guess it is pretty common.

From 1964 to 1974 there are a ton of cars I love.

Sure, GM A bodies are my favorite.
And I love GTOs. But I also love the GSX, 442, and Chevelle SS. I love chargers, challengers, Camaros, firebirds, barracudas, comets, fast back mustangs, etc. even big stuff like the x100 or fast back impala coupes. I would grab an AMC machine and an AMX.

If I won the lottery I would probably be sort of like jay Leno but be a little more focused.

The car I have drooled over the most made in the past twenty years or so was the Ford GT back around 2006.

Anyways, am I alone in liking them all?

"Yes, it's a real GTO. I know the scoops, spoiler, exhaust tips, and rear wheels are wrong. Umm, sure it's the 'big block' 400, you are quite the expert. I am driving in the rain, at night, running errands, with the kids who are eating and having ice cream in the back, after going to the drag strip, burning rubber, and blowing donuts. Do you really think it's numbers matching all original?"
Old 10-11-2018, 07:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Love 'em all. Past non-Pontiacs include a '69 Charger R/T, '71 Chevelle SS454, '66 Chevelle SS396, and '90 Mustang LX 5.0. Wish I still had each one.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 10-11-2018, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like everything. Or at least something from everybody. I would say I’m more of a GM Guy, but to pretend I don’t want an XR7 cougar or a 67 GTX would be a straight up lie.

I understand picking favorites, but I’ve nwber understood the hardline stance of “I would never own a Ford, or Chevrolet etc”

I own my Firebird, and a full size fastback Galaxie, and recently bought a WW2 Jeep. I like all kinds of stuff. I really really want a 57 Buick.

Hell if I were Jay Leno rich I would certainly have the odd vintage Ferrari here and there too.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 10-11-2018, 07:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

'most anything with 4 wheels.....

Old 10-11-2018, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like Pontiacs. I like other cars too, but I just focus on Pontiacs to keep the car down.
I'm reminded of a comedian's routine (can't remember who it was) that went something like "I'm so glad I'm not bisexual... I can't imagine wanting to sleep with everyone I meet!" I'm kind a like that with cars. I'm so glad I'm a Pontiac guy... I can't imagine wanting to bring home every old car I see!

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 10-11-2018, 07:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Pontiacs are my favorite,but i also like the other brands,GM,Ford,Mopar and early Hot rods.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I love all different kinds of cars, mostly domestic, but some imports too. I am an engine guy, so the engine is the major factor in cars I really love. Fell in love with Pontiac's as a kid over 50 years ago. Always the underdog brand, especially the engines. So many Pontiac engines were pulled and thrown away as scrap and replaced with SBC's, it just made me so mad. What was wrong with the Pontiac's? Nothing. Idiot owners, mostly. Always felt Pontiac cars had great style, interior quality, good ride and handling and my favorite blue engine. Too old to change now. If I had it to do all over from the beginning, I may have ended up a MOPAR guy. They clearly have their head screwed on straight as far as performance cars go now. Hope the Pontiac Gods forgive me.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:08 PM
Senior Chief

I like all types of makes...look at my picture in my signature.

I was a Chevy guy before buying my Firebird. Had a 72 Nova, than a 66 Chevelle. My Coronet was my uncle before he sold it to his dad. I bought it from my grandfather.

'69 Firebird 400 - Goldenrod Yellow, 455 +.060, '6s-7' heads, Comp Cam 276AH-10 (51-309-4), TH400, Ford 9-inch w/3.08, 800cfm Q-jet, Stock Intake, Hooker Headers, Flowmasters
'68 Coronet 500 Convertible - Medium Gold Metallic, stock 318 +100,000 miles
Old 10-11-2018, 08:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
. I am an engine guy, so the engine is the major factor in cars I really love.
This is me too. I like interesting engines. I really want a 90s ZR1 car, and a Buick Nailhead. I have a buddy who is a vintage BMW guy. The sound of a screaming high rev straight 6 is really cool. I’ve been looking for an excuse to use a Euro or Japanese performance 6.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 10-11-2018, 08:25 PM
Suspended

Anything with an engine.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Anything with an engine.
x2!

Old 10-11-2018, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mustangs are off my list....can’t stand them. Sick of looking at Camaros and Chevelles too...

Old 10-11-2018, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Love them all. (There are twice as many Mustangs as Birds in my care right now, actually...)

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 10-11-2018, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had more Blue Oval than anything else since I was 15. My favorites there were my 69 Mercury Cyclone CJ and my 72 Mach 1 351CJ 4 speed. I'm also partial to Road Runners as I started my racing career in one. I've had Chevelles over the years, last one I had I traded for my GTO back in 86.

A poor man has poor ways.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:35 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
Mustangs are off my list....can’t stand them. Sick of looking at Camaros and Chevelles too...
Dude, eat a Snickers

Old 10-11-2018, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm primarily a GM guy, and always was. Pontiac, Olds, Chevy and Buick, in that order. Having restored and driven so many different brands of cars over the years has made me even more committed to GM stuff. Once you see past the make-up (wings, spoilers, purple paint) and actually work on the bones, opinions can change. The absolute worst build and ride quality of muscle car has to be late 60's and 70's uni-body Mopars.
With that said, if I was to own any uni-body muscle car for sheer body design appeal, it would be a '70 AMX.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I lean toward GM, but honestly I think that's just because that is 90% of what I grew up around. However, I've always loved most anything from the muscle era as well as prewar Fords. A Hurst SC/Rambler is very high on my "win the lottery" list. Here is a pic of the Falcon that I had a couple years ago and the '56 International S100 that will hopefully make it into the shop before my son starts driving(10 years - Lol).

The Falcon was my first time spraying an entire car... done in my garage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	494930   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1248(2).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	494931  

Old 10-11-2018, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There probably isn't a brand that doesn't have at least one model that I like. Big, small, US, foreign, doesn't matter. I go through mind exercise on nearly a daily basis, thinking about how I would fix up some random car I happen to see or that just pops into my head.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I grew up liking them all but leaning towards Pontiac. I grew up drooling over my dads 70 LeMans that I now own. Since we have had most of the Pontiacs on our wish list we have started branching out and it’s a lot of fun. Opens up a lot of options.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:15 PM
Suspended

My tastes tend to vary by the decade. Most of my favorite cars are mid-60's through early '70s, the vast majority GM products, in particular Pontiac. I love the way Pontiacs run, love the way they sound. All the classic pushrod V8s have their own unique character, and Pontiacs have the best. There's no question that GM as a whole was building the best cars around from roughly '65 through 72-76 depending on body style. There are some FoMoCo products from that time period that I like, but not near as many. I do love me some suicide door Continentals. GM absolutely had the best drivetrains and suspensions during that time, but the big Lincolns aren't far off.

I love me some mid-late '70s big Chryslers and Imperials, when the interiors were particularly opulent and plush, and they were massive cruisers that absolutely excelled in that role.

I don't have any interest in a single car from the '80s. Not one.

When it starts to get more modern, I have a particular love for '95-97 Lincoln Town Cars, and the whole panther platform from the introduction of the 4.6L V8. Easily one of the top five best engines ever made in my opinion.

Until just a couple weeks ago I had never owned a foreign car, and never had any desire too. Still don't. I picked up an '04 BMW X3 because it was dirt cheap, but it's a bunch of crap. Just gonna sell it to make some money. Yes, I would rather drive my Oldsmobile minivan than that BMW. I drive it and legitimately wonder why someone plunked down something like $40k to buy it now. Honestly can't figure it out.

I've never had any interest in anything Japanese, German, or anything else.

Yes, my interests are focused. I have very particular tastes, and it just so happens that almost nothing modern, and absolutely nothing foreign fits the bill for me. I despise the ricer "culture" and all of the vehicles in it. I don't get excited about anything that doesn't have a good sized V8 with some character.