Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-06-2020, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Finally got the time to finish my 63 Lemans.Cant find local shop to finish 4 link

I started my 63 Lemans in early 70s. Put in 57 Olds rear with housing brackets from 58 Pontiac. We leveled, squared chassis, plumb bobb axle centers. Started custom 4 link. Got the bottom brackets securely in welded place,with just steel bars no heims yet. Cut upper mounts,then I got busy car has sat since. No local shop still doing this work. So I'm thinking either buy top bars from say S&W race cars for 4 link. OR use a 3 link setup. (Really Satchel link would be nice but have to redo housing). Then buy coil overs. I asking for you guys that have done this what products would you use? I need a plan to really get this car finished. It will be street car with occasionally strip use. About 600hp.

Old 09-06-2020, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There must be a shop building roundy round cars in your area. They should be able to do it.

Old 09-06-2020, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you have pics of the setup?
Have the front mount for the bars?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 09-06-2020, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

If you’ve got the later bars mocked up, I would look at how companies like Ridetech and Chassis Works is handling triangulated 4 links with coil overs. It sounds like you need to fab a cross bar for upper links and coil over mounting.

Old 09-06-2020, 09:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your in PA,get ahold of Jim Pickett at Pickett automotive.They have been involved in a few of rear setups in these cars.Tom

Old 09-07-2020, 09:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I talked to John Labuda locally who has 56 gasser his buddy has 63 Lemans altered wheelbase car they didnt know anyone,that was still doing chassis. R R seems to have died here.Called Dominick Chassis in Pittsburgh, tried different times of day no answer. I'll try you guys suggestions. Looked at net,with different cos. I was thinking get the ' right' parts that guys have used, tack in place then have welder finish. I have local friend who has heavy sheet metal shop that could weld in place. I looked at triangulated 4 link that might work with my bottom bars.Thanks guys.

The Following User Says Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2020, 12:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I know it's a bit out of the way, but Farks Supercars in NJ does fantastic work . Originally from Brooklyn, they have been in business many years. They are capable of doing anything you need done.

Old 09-07-2020, 03:01 PM
Suspended

If you are willing to drive up to WNY (about 3hrs away) there are 3 drag car chassis shops that won't have any issue building an old school set up.

Old 09-07-2020, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have done 3 of these cars since 1964.The present car I did 22 years ago.If you want pics of how it was done PM me with a email or a smart phone number and when I get home from the Sierras the end of the week and will put it on the lift.Tom

Old 09-07-2020, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys. Thanks again Tom. I think you used a single ladder bar on each side with housing locator of some kind. I had planned a 4 link,that was the going thing in early 70s. The bottom bar is about 20 " long. I think your bars probably 38-40"
What coil over brand is best quality for street?

Old 09-07-2020, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As said,did it 22 years ago and have no clue what I used.Remember,attaching anything to the unibody rail in the rear will take reinforcing.Our panhard bar ripped loose about 8 years or so after we built the car.Had to weld a longer plate to the rails and has been good ever since.The metal is pretty thin.Tom

Old 09-08-2020, 07:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We sandwiched frame with 3/16" plates where frame flattens out inboard where trailing arm from original was bolted, to get tire clearance. Brackets hang down. Then made upper brackets including panhard bar then got busy with other things. Job,marriage etc. Sooo its sat.

Old 09-08-2020, 09:43 PM

Have you tried contacting S&W to see if they might do the work?

Old 09-10-2020, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No on SW. But. A local Pontiac guy texted me his friend races late models he builds 'himself' a new chassis every year. He is interested in doing it. I'm calling him tonight. I ordered disc brake conversion from scarebird,on it's way. Sooo I'm not in a hurry so time will tell. A little elbow grease, paint. A guy txtd me he has a 62 with a 4link. Txt me pics last night.Thanks guys for all your ideas and help great as always. May god bless all.

Old 09-11-2020, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talked to this nice young man last night. He is going for his masters in mechanical engineering. He was working for Chip Ganassis racing. (Gnassis s father is local I've heard). He is willing to come over and look car over. I may get the Satchel link after all. He has all the tools needed, his friend said. Big thing is a chassis table to get everything perfect he was telling me.

Old 09-14-2020, 04:35 PM
Suspended

If its who I think it is, you will be very happy.... I was going to suggest going to the PID reunion and see what's going on...
Try Beatty welding 3406 Babcock blvd..
Also try GIS 412-487-forty four seventy... 1015 rt.8 15116