THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

90 degree gutter pipe connected to a dryer hose to my air box on my 86 Mustang LX 5.0
Knocked off 2 tenths in the quarter.

Old 12-18-2020, 02:03 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

'39 Hudson field car, back in 1955- removed the right hand windshield pane so my buddy could literally "ride shotgun" and shoot at woodchucks as I idled through the fields.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Gifford For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2020, 11:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

These are awesome.

Once used a Diet Coke can and rivets to fix a rusty lower quarter on a 76 TA, then fiberglassed over it.

Had a beautiful Flame Red Metallic GTA in college. Bought it from the original owner. Digital dash and everything. This was the late 90’s and I hung out at a mustang shop. Everything we had was slammed. I pulled the coils to cut them hoping for a 2” drop. Cut 1” off the springs, put them back in with no real change. Pulled them right back out and cut them again. Went to lower the car and it sat down on the jack! We had to lift up on the fenders to get it off the jack! It must have dropped the car 4” and it was sitting on the bump stops.... but damn did it look cool! That poor car ended up with neon underneath it (GroundGlo!) and neon under the grills in the hood.

Here are some before and after pics of that car:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F97FD816-A382-4AC1-B572-67B0C832F7E0.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	556383   Click image for larger version

Name:	6DAFFFF6-7905-424C-8BD3-0A24E77DB658.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	556384   Click image for larger version

Name:	00B798B4-B52A-4BFF-8489-B97002D24801.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	556385  

Old 12-18-2020, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since I lived in the land of rust, and PA once required that all the sheetmetal on the exterior of the car have no holes over 1/2 inch, and the floorboards, and inner fender wells could have no holes whatsoever. We would use nylon self adhesive drywall tape over the holes, (close to window screen) followed with Duraglass or Bondo to make the required air tight permanent seal. This was reserved for daily driver type/winter beater vehicles, not our prized possessions that we drove in the good weather.

It works pretty well to close up gapping rust holes in sheetmetal that you don't want to weld metal patches to. If you take the time to smooth it out you can spray bomb the repair and it doesn't look hideous. Good until the surrounding metal also rusts away, if you still have the car, you just repeat the process............LOL

The coarse nylon screen gives the repair quite a bit of rigidity and integrity, similar to fiberglass mat, and is able to be penetrated by the thick Duraglass or Bondo for adhesion to the body panel. Duraglass was always my go to for these repairs.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2020, 11:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought all the 66 GTO grill parts and put them in a 66 Tempest Custom. All brand new parts. I did that back in '72 when I was working at Eastman Kodak, and got them from my local Pontiac dealer in Rochester, NY on Lake Ave. It only cost me about $75.00 to do it.

Also made a trade and added a 66 GTO hood a friend had off his 65 Lemans that he put thru a ditch and totaled the frame. Tho the 65 body was actually in pretty good shape he ended up sending it off to the junk yard. If I'd known how to do it I could have swapped his 65 body over to my 66 GTO frame. I totaled that first 66 GTO but the frame was still good. I rolled it over a frozen hard-pack snow bank in April of '71, up in the frozen North of NY.

This is the best photo I have of the Tempest Custom. You can see the GTO hood and just see the left side GTO parking light lens. BTW, his 65 and my 66 were the same color.... Nightwatch Blue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66 Tempest Custom.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	556465  

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:39 AM

My dad let my brother and I have his 74 f100 with a 240 6 banger 3 on the tree. A friend had just totaled his 351 Cleveland Torino. So we found out it would go in with a 302 bellhousing so we made the swap using the trucks running gear. the freaking thing was a beast and would leap with every shift. Up to 65 mph. We could however beat anyone we knew off the line with this impressive launch so we would just tach it out and abruptly quit the race having clearly shown them we were faster. It went from embarrassing to hilarious to us for some reason. Plans to put in the Torinos C6 and a gear swap were dashed when my brother was t- boned by a Buick. killed the truck, bro ok.

Old 01-03-2021, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don’t know if this counts as a “modification,” but at some point I apparently disconnected the vacuum advance from my distributor, plugged it with a Phillips screwdriver, and drove my car around like that for awhile. I didn’t remember doing it but I left my car sit for three years while I was in the Army, and when I got out of the service I came home and started working on the car. First time I popped the hood in three years I saw the screwdriver sticking out of the vacuum line and thought, “wtf is that doing in there?”

Old 01-03-2021, 10:44 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
I don't think I want to confess to these in print

But a couple of them involved the addition of a model T Ford spark coil.

Jon.
Down in Missouri in the old days we used to have lots of trucks run over the speed limit on the two lane blacktop roads. Some would be right on your bumper at times.

I had my grandfather's Dodge 330 (426m wedge) hooked up with a couple of spark plugs so you could get a backfire/flame out of the exhaust. You might have seen a similar deal in a couple of Hot Rod Movies in the old days.

The other mod I made to that car was, as I have posted in the past years ago, something to keep the trucks off my bumper. So if they were too close I would speed up, hit the backfire button, and turn on the windshield washer pump that would spray light weight machine oil into the exhaust after the spark plugs. There was always some left over gas mixture in the exhaust after the acceleration with the carb calibration.

Massive amounts of oily smoke would pour out of the exhaust pipes, like I had a mechanical issue. But the oil would go everywhere on the idiots nice shiny Simi-Tractor and Trailer. Royal pain to wash it off too.

I would pull off the side of the road and let the guy find the oil all over his truck at the Truck Stop. Fogged a gas stations windows one time too.
Guy was a real as-wipe.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
They could certainly have been used in that manner.

It is rumored that an excellent theft control can also be made from one.

Jon.
My father built a door shocker for his old Dodge.
i was a little kid at the time but i remember the switch under the dash, the coil, and also the ground wire hanging from the bottom of the car.
He said he shocked the same co-worker every day for a week.
I probably still have that coil and braided ground wire somewhere.