Old 12-01-2020, 11:06 PM
Senior Chief

Default Replacement Wiring Harness for '64 Grand Prix

Hello,

For my winter project for my ongoing restoration of my '64 Grand Prix, I am going to tackle replacing the wiring in the car. The car is stripped down to a body shell already, though I have the original complete harness and connectors available in storage.

My options for replacement harnesses appear to be 1) buy all the various pieces of a reproduction of the factory harness from a company like American Autowire and reuse my original fuse block and firewall connector or 2) buy a completely new, replacement, semi-generic harness from a company like Painless in the style of a '60s GM car and make it work.

I'm leaning toward option 2 and getting a replacement harness from Painless or Ron Francis Wiring. I am not concerned about the correct factory appearance of the wiring...I just want something safe, as affordable as possible, upgradeable in the future if I like (i.e. I want to add electric fans or put in a stereo system), and something someone learning automotive electrical like me can tackle. The replacement harnesses appear to be a bit less expensive than buying a reproduction harness, I can upgrade to modern fuses with more circuits, and I don't have to reuse my 56-year-old, corroded fuse block and firewall connector. I realize that this option though will be harder to wire as I'll be making my own connections, terminations, etc. and the wire colors and other things won't match my original harness.

Are there any other options for types of harnesses or harness manufacturers you can recommend? Any of them I should stay away from? Features or accessories I should consider including? Would buying a harness for a '64 or '65 GTO from a place like Painless help get me closer to a harness I can use on my Grand Prix rather than starting with a semi-generic 60s GM harness?

Thanks for your help!