THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-12-2021, 05:47 PM
Suspended

Default 2021 Spring Charlotte Auto Fair

Is officially cancelled.

I got an email today from the Hornets Nest that stated that spring was cancelled with no make-up date for 2021. Fall however is still on.

Now….. What about my money?

Old 02-12-2021, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, I got the same letter today. I'm afraid they're setting the stage to keep our Spring 2020 payments. When the spring 2020 letter came out, it was clear that the fall show was being cancelled and everybody registered for the spring show would get their same spaces in fall. This letter said the spring event was cancelled.

Old 02-12-2021, 08:55 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho-mike View Post
Yes, I got the same letter today. I'm afraid they're setting the stage to keep our Spring 2020 payments. When the spring 2020 letter came out, it was clear that the fall show was being cancelled and everybody registered for the spring show would get their same spaces in fall. This letter said the spring event was cancelled.
If you recall, they tried keeping our money last year in a "sucks to be you" letter.

Then they sent out another letter offering 25% of our money in a "take it or you get nothing" letter.

Then another letter went out saying, "you're covered for next year".

I'm guessing the NC state AG's phone was ringing off the hook.

I see the same series of letters happening again or phones will be ringing again.

Little car clubs like Hornets Nest cannot keep 1/2 million plus and deliver nothing for it. People who paid and got nothing tend to get upset.

Old 02-13-2021, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Is officially cancelled.
Again !?
Dammit

Old 02-23-2021, 06:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I received my letter today saying they were cancelling the event, keeping our money, but we will get a 25% discount on next year's Spring show. I wonder how many people will just stop going.

I suspect I will be one.

Old 02-23-2021, 07:56 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho-mike View Post
I received my letter today saying they were cancelling the event, keeping our money, but we will get a 25% discount on next year's Spring show. I wonder how many people will just stop going.

I suspect I will be one.
I got it too.

They are estimating that there are 10,000 vendor spaces.

Each space varies in price.

At an average of approximately $100.00 per space, that comes to $1,000,000.00 on the low end

This show is run by a little podunk car club.

There is no way in hell people, like myself, are going to allow some car club, small or large, to keep 1 MILLOIN DOLLARS of unearned vendor money and not answer for it.

Old 02-23-2021, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A friend said the letter claimed they are not required to return the $$$ due to the "act of God" clause in the registration form.
I didn't know covid had been declared an act of God.

Looks like a class action lawsuit in the making.

Old 02-23-2021, 09:32 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve v View Post
A friend said the letter claimed they are not required to return the $$$ due to the "act of God" clause in the registration form.
I didn't know covid had been declared an act of God.

Looks like a class action lawsuit in the making.
NC State AG's office is quicker and they can place felony charges against all involved.

AG gets involved they will not pass go or collect 1 MILLION DOLLARS.

Old 02-24-2021, 09:28 AM
Senior Chief

I loved going to Charlotte, even though the drive for me is pretty long.

Being in the event business has to be tough right now. The target keeps moving, and the amount of coordination to put on that size of an event has to be impressive.

The big thing locally is the Springfield OH Cars and Parts Swap Meet, and they were able to have it last year in spite of covid. They were up your *ss about mask wearing and such, and were policing it fairly heavily. Crowd was down LESS than I expected, people were getting antsy for ANYTHING car related to do. I suspect they will have it again this May, with the same rules.

HOWEVER, there is a big car show in Cincinnati every January at the Convention Center. Pretty much the only thing going on in the winter time. I have a car that was invited to be there. Its been rescheduled twice, and I am willing to bet that it gets cancelled. Outdoor swap meets are one thing, but a lot of bodies milling around cars inside a building is quite another.

Our 4th of July party is still on. We had it last year, we will have it this year. We changed how the food is served, and theres enough space to spread people out. Was it a mass-spreader event? NOPE. People are responsible enough to know that if they do something stupid, they aren't coming back.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan