Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Anthony, fyi, the flanges that you returned, fit the manifolds we had in stock. These were the same as the ones you received. The only thing I can think of is that one of the manifold stud threads were drilled or crossthreaded incorrectly. The RARE versions must have a little additional tolerance.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to YVEYANT

Chris,
Thanks for the info, they fit because I had to machine them to fit (the aluminum versions), they did not come like that as I stated in my first passage. Go by the cast iron flanges, I did not machine those.
I tried BOTH sets of flanges you sent me on an original set of 67 R/A manifolds and neither one fit whereas the RARE flanges not only fit my original R/A manifolds, but also fit the R/A manifolds I got from you right out of the box with no alterations.. Also, if you look at the bolt holes on the RARE setup they are no larger in diameter than yours are not to mention they allow for better starter clearance and have a better seal for the downpipe. I hope this helps..
While I have you, any progress with the full 67 GTO quarters yet? I would be very interested in a set.

Ant
1967 Pontiac Tempest, GTO-Inspired

"What's so special about having Italian food cooked by a bunch of friggin Mexicans"
Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

"Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it"
Braveheart

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...Wm0SlqN030.jpg

Last edited by YVEYANT; 08-23-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:48 PM
Senior Chief

I'm going to jump in here, because I just cracked a new cast aluminum flange for my RamAirIII repros.
I noticed the flare was hitting the 2 studs before install and ground a little "U" out of the flare for each, but it still broke.

Cass, what is the part number for the Steel flanges for these manifolds?

I have the older 2 1/4" manifolds with the 2 1/2" Pypes downpipes.
The online catalog is a bit confusing over the part # RPE660H maybe? It is not actually listed.

1981 Trans Am - Dark Maple Metallic
1976 Pontiac 455(462), Kauffman Northwind Intake, Performer RPM Eheads, 11.5:1 compression, Crower 60919 cam, Venolia domed pistions, Dougs Headers, Pypes 2.5" Dual Exhaust/X-Over, Solid Body Mounts, GenIV SFCs, FiTech EFI, Walbro 400lph pump, TanksInc. EFI tank. MSD 6AL2, MSD ProBillet.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Chris,

I too will chime in on this one as one of mine broke as well when I was installing them. I went out and purchased a cast one. I'm not sure how true it is but it would seem that the majority of the issues that people are having involve the Ram Air manifolds.

I had a heck of a time fitting mine in due to the flange size with one of them even having to be ground down to clear the housing for the lower control arm. I also had problems with the alignment of the exhaust and the manifolds which I managed to tweak enough to make it work but it's not perfect.

Don't get me wrong I love the manifolds and the Pypes system and PY's support was great but there seems to be many others that are having issues with this combination which to me seems to point to an inherent problem.

JMO

Old 08-23-2007, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I called PY and asked for Cast Iron flanges, I was told that they do not sell them any longer. The reason I did get cast iron flanges from PY was because the gentleman I spoke to said he would call me back and check around to see if they have any cast iron sets left. He called me back and said I was in luck they had one set left and those are the one's I got. So to recap, according to the person I spoke to, PY does not sell cast iron flanges any longer.

Ant

"What's so special about having Italian food cooked by a bunch of friggin Mexicans"
Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

Braveheart

Old 08-23-2007, 05:49 PM
Administrator

anybody that needs to replace a cracked aluminum flange may get one by calling our offices. We have some cast iron flanges here. Not sure if we ordered some extra in because of this problem but if you ask for cast iron specifically, we'll send them.

You won't see the RPE660H part number in Pypes.... just in PY under the exhaust manifolds catagory. However, the iron and aluminum flanges share the same part number so you will have to specifically request iron if that's what you want.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Chris,

Mines together with one cast and one aluminum so I don't see much of a point of taking it apart at this point. It's nice to know that PY will stand behind it's products.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chris,
What about the full quarters??

Ant

Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

Braveheart

Old 08-24-2007, 02:13 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccass
anybody that needs to replace a cracked aluminum flange may get one by calling our offices. We have some cast iron flanges here. Not sure if we ordered some extra in because of this problem but if you ask for cast iron specifically, we'll send them.

You won't see the RPE660H part number in Pypes.... just in PY under the exhaust manifolds catagory. However, the iron and aluminum flanges share the same part number so you will have to specifically request iron if that's what you want.

Thanks Ccass, but since I am already off the road for another week waiting for the correct downpipe and another aluminum flange to get here from Pypes/PY, I ordered steel flanges from RARE.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ant, did you go with the studs or the bolts?

Old 08-26-2007, 08:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I went with the studs.

Ant

Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

Braveheart

Old 08-26-2007, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVEYANT
Chris,
What about the full quarters??

Bump.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd.
Bump.
Anthony, I don't want to jack this thread. Post in the 'PY Stuff' forum.