The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-27-2016, 07:40 AM
Senior Chief

Default Window adjustment tricks

Well I finally got the doors back on and they line up pretty good. Now I need to adjust the glass so they seal tight. I have installed all new weather stripping all around. Even the convertible top has new stuff.

Are there any tricks to getting these to line up? I was thinking of loosening all the adjustment bolts, then taping the glass to where I want it and then tighten everything back up. Is there anything else I can do to make it easier/failproof?

Also, what type of lube should I use on all the internal window parts? Regular wheel bearing grease?

It's a 71 LeMans convertible.
Thanks in advance.
Matt

Old 04-27-2016, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink Windows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter98TA View Post
Well I finally got the doors back on and they line up pretty good. Now I need to adjust the glass so they seal tight. I have installed all new weather stripping all around. Even the convertible top has new stuff.

Are there any tricks to getting these to line up? I was thinking of loosening all the adjustment bolts, then taping the glass to where I want it and then tighten everything back up. Is there anything else I can do to make it easier/failproof?

Also, what type of lube should I use on all the internal window parts? Regular wheel bearing grease?

It's a 71 LeMans convertible.
Thanks in advance.
Matt

can be tricky and time-consuming. It is basically trial and error. Back...forth...in...out...up...down...a little more involved than taping and tightening...but perseverance pays! Lube...I use white-lube...or white lithium as it is technically known as. Convertibles have proven even more problematic in my experience but again...you will get the hang of it. If you know a professional willing to help you out...might be worth looking into. All comes down to how much your time and your aggrevation are worth to you. We had to make a couple of tools to help with the rollers and fasteners...simple but effective.

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:06 PM
Senior Chief

Time I have, aggravation, well it can't get any worse with this car!!!

I cleaned and rebuilt the rollers and tracks years ago, but didn't lube them. I've got a tub of that white stuff so I'll be using that.
thanks

Old 04-28-2016, 04:43 PM
Senior Chief

what a PAIN IN THE AZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got the drivers side as best I could. I think all the new rubber molding needs to loosen up some. I worked on that one door for 7 hours today!!!

Old 04-28-2016, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Take your time and do it right, as you won't redo it. On our Firebird, we spent at least two full days on window alignment. On my '64 GTO, at least three days.

The results are worth the effort. Sometimes, the needed adjustments are not intuitive--you need to try different approaches than what you think will get the fit right.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan